Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hello jayjan, they will be better than Cliff, who is normaly on :yikes

Dave
Plenty Red Red Wine flowing should get the party started.
Hi jayjan, did you find out who is playing for the New years Eve festivities in the Old Town :?:
I am sure Jayjan won't mind me answering and this has been posted before.

UB40 are headlining, after the midnight fireworks. There's a Portuguese band on at 10pm but I have forgotten their name.
Cubby i thinks its "Os Classificados" the portuguese band
Here's the full programme over the New Year period http://www.albufeira.pt/en/programa.html

Remember the ALLGARVE idea? British people were supposed to be better able to recognise and pronounce this spelling! :que Have they now decided we'll find ALBUFFEIRA easier to read?! ;)
It looks an excellent night Glynis, wished We were over, have to wait another 4 weeks. Roseweb enjoy your hols, and I aint jealous :cry
Yes Roseweb, have a fabulous time. :)

(And I'm not really jealous either... :cry )
Thanks very much, Jayjan and Milly Molly! Much appreciated! :wave
Booked to eat at Casa da Fonte on NYE, then going to get as close to Fishermen's Beach as we dare. Going with friends, and we girlies aren't too keen on crowds. But maybe the old vinho will have kicked in by then and our phobias will be forgotten. :cheers If not, we'll have to retire to a safe distance (less crowds but still able to hear the music), somewhere near the Rocamar/Bizarro, or if that's still too packed we'll just have to go home and watch the fireworks from there - the problem with this last option is that we'll all be falling asleep before UB40 have got going! Poor old f**ts!!! : :rofl :rofl
I was working in a nearby hostelry but everything seemed to go off OK. Certainly the police and ambulances were much better organised than last year. Crowds were down, thankfully, and the only trouble I heard about was at the 'Bank' bar where a group of Portuguese yobs apparently ransacked the place at 430am.
yer i was there all night, was a great atmosphere, we didnt go on the beach as that just looked like a pile of people but was very good, lots of broken glass on the floor afterwards though, a great night overall, well worth it.
We were there, it was a great atmosphere. The whole place was packed with people all having a great time. We were on the hill above the beach and the firework display was brilliant.
Everyone was really happy and I didn't see any one worse for wear.
It was definitely worth going to and all for free.......
Pat
:glynis
Pat 42 wrote:
It was definitely worth going to and all for free.......
Pat

You wouldn't say that if you saw our rates bills... :cry

:)
Drink more beer and contribute to the tourist industry.

I shall be doing my best throughout 2009.

I think they got some cash from the TV rights and sponsorship but yes it ain't free for the likes of us wot live here.
Pat42, we went up there earlier in the night and then came back down to find some bars etc, the escalators were packed once we came back and decided against trying to get up there again! Must have been a great view for the fireworks though.
Drink more beer and contribute to the tourist industry

Well, Mr 42 and I certainly did our best during our 7 weeks there, not to metion the tinto and will do the same when we return for our 2 weeks in June and then again in September.
After all, it's all for a good cause.... :rofl :rofl
Pat
Sambache,
Yes, it was packed everywhere but we managed to get up the escalators and just squeezed around everyone else.
It was like the fireworks were just above your head....I kept on ooohing and wooowing and squealing with delight as each one lit up, it was marvellous!!!
Pat
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.