Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
It's hard to say they are both great holiday destinations. For scenery new Zealand has to be one of the most beautiful countries in the world. The North Island is in parts very much like England. The South Island is majestic with the high mountains. The lack of people and empty roads makes touring a dream. The people are extremely friendly and make you feel very welcome.
Australia being such a massive place has areas of extremes. Adelaide in the South has gentle hills and pretty valleys, whilst Alice Springs and Uluru in the middle are hot and mostly barren. The very north around Darwin is very hot and sticky. Sydney is a lively, lovely city. Brisbane and Melbourne a bit more laid back but great to visit. The Australian people seem to be very friendly and lots have a great sense of humour and make you feel very welcome. Love the place
I think it depends on what you want from a holiday. The cities in Australia are lively with a great beach life the country would suit most age groups. New Zealand is a little quieter .
I've been to New Zealand once and Australia twice. First visit I fell in love with New Zealand and actually looked into going to live there. Last year I visited Australia and came back wishing I had emigrated years ago. So I really don't know which I like the best, can't wait to go back to either one again.
  • Edited by Judith 2006-08-22 17:04:31
Hi Caroline

As being an Aussie it is hard to say which is the best to visit there is so much in each country to see Australia is very large and the best way is to pick the parts you want to see then fly to the next part as you can wast a lot of time driving there is a mountian range that runs from the top of QLD to the Bottom of Victoria it can be very ruggard in parts and not so in others this is on the east side as you go over this range to the centre of Austalia it goes to very dry and harsh condisions

New Zealand both islands are differant and can be driven over in 10days on each and see it all the north island is very hilly with lots to see the south island has a mountain range that runs down west side and is more flatter on the east we like New Zealand very much and there is lots to see there

As to say which place to see may be if you could give some idears on what you want to see might help as both countrys differ so much.
I was really asking out of interest...
I am in my last year of University and planning to do some travelling the year after I graduate. I was oringally thinking of doing the norm... mostly travllling east cost of Oz and then a shorter time in NZ... but as many people I know have been to both. They seem to prefer to NZ and I was wondering if I should spend longer there. Also this seems a silly comment to some but I have a huge fear of spiders and so am slighty apprehensive about Oz as I know NZ have less of them. That is probably a ridiculous reason to make a choice, but you know how phobias are!! I was just looking for some insight really! :D x
Caroline

I spent 5 weeks touring parts of OZ, South to North last year and can't remember seeing any spiders, doesn't mean they aren't there though, Chubby being a resident can tell probably tell you more. I did check shoes etc everyday, but I was possibly being over nervous.
New Zealand of course doesn't have any poisonous creatures but there is so much more wildlife to see in Australia.
I think if I was choosing a place to live it would be New Zealand, though only just, as I love Australia. But saying that if I was offered a residents visa for Australia I would jump at the chance.
I rarely dislike anywhere I visit and I have travelled to lots of countries but New Zealand and Australia are definitely at the top of the list of my favourites.
Hi Again

Yes we have some spiders out here but most of them do not bother you if you do not touch them in the north part of Australia they do have the cain toad it more seen than any spiders to bother you

Australia has lots to see as I said before but it is long distances in between so you will have the cost of transport to get to places where in New Zealand the distances are shorter to see things

If it is a must to you shake things before you put things on we over here do not bother most spiders want to get out of your way and live in dark places if you want any web site to look up I can give you some on the top places to see all I can say is do not let the spiders put you off Aus. as you will most likely not see one
We spent a month based in Perth (yes, I know this is not representative of the whole of Australia). Great beaches, great city. But I was ready to come home. I think Perth is probably a bit remote - you can't really drive anywhere else.
Just spent a month based in Christchurch and loved it. Great beaches, great mountains, loved Queenstown. Felt more at home in NZ - so much so that we now have our visas to move out there!
Both places we rented a house and used that as our base. Found this was a good way to do it with young children.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.