Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
We're going to Cyprus in August and planning to visit Nicosia one day. We would like to visit the Turkish side, but our children do not have their own passports (they're included in my wife's passport, she's Dutch and they can still add children to parents' passports). Would there be a problem getting accross the border?
as eu members with acceptable documents i cant see that there would be a problem
I went through the Ledra Street crossing about 5 weeks ago (June 2009) and there were families with children going over to the North and also crossing from the North to the South. Locals as well as tourists, I should add.

It's now very laid back and casual going through the checkpoint, far more so than a year ago when it was first opened up.

On the way to the north I was asked to show my passport on the northern side, and also to fill in a form (name, passport number and nationality) and that was it. No real checks thereafter, and coming back you just get waved through.

You're limited as to how much shopping you can bring back but it's noticeably a lot cheaper in the north.

You shouldn't have any trouble, anyway.

If you fancy a meal look for the Buyuk Han, which is the old medieval market Inn. The food is good, it's not expensive and the building is great. It's signposted from the Turkish side of Ledra Street (just off to the left) and the kids will love it.

Also if you have time have a look at the Selimiye Mosque, which was once the Agia Sophia Cathedral.

The North actually reminds me what Cyprus used to be like a few years ago!

Dave
We are thinking of going to Northern Cyprus at Easter 2010. Is the weather likely to be reasonably warm at this time of year?
I am going to Northern Cyprus in a couple of weeks and will be staying at Merit Crystal Cove.

Can anyone confirm if there is building work going on near the hotel and if so, how noisy is it?
We're off to n. cyprus on sunday 6th. We're doing a two centre holiday again. I can really recommend it. Last time we did Palm beach hotel at famagusta and then the ship in kyrenia. Best of both worlds, first one had a beach for sea swimming, second one was smaller and very friendly . This year we are doing Salamis bay hotel and the ship for the same reasons. Hurry up sunday!!!!! :sun2 :cheers
thinking of north cyprus for 2010.would like a resort with a nice beach for daytime,but with a busy nightlife.bars and restaruants,not night clubs.with plenty of shops. any recomendations would be appreciated. thank you.

percy123.
"thinking of north cyprus for 2010.would like a resort with a nice beach for daytime,but with a busy nightlife.bars and restaruants,not night clubs.with plenty of shops. any recomendations would be appreciated. thank you."

I don't think 'resort' and 'North Cyprus' go together. It's not like the South - it's relatively undeveloped. There are 'areas' which have beaches, restaurants and supermarkets, but they could not be called resorts, in my opinion.
There probably isn't 'busy nightlife', except perhaps in Kyrenia itself, and then not sure it's what you may be expecting. The only place with shops is probably Kyrenia.

I think you need to do a bit more research - from your wish list I'm not sure that North Cyprus is what you are looking for.
lanzafan,
thank you for information,will consider other options before making decision.the reason i asked is because we went to lassi,kefalonia may/june,although a lovely island,found it very quiet of an evening,and almost dead after about 11.00.

regards percy123.
I would agree with Lanzafan. You will not find what you are looking for in Northern Cyprus.
Just booked a 7 day holiday to the Almond Village, in Kyrenia, for end of May 2010. Have read various reviews, all of which are very good. Anyone on here recently visited and if so, what was your experience like?
Also, i have travelled to southern Cyprus 4 times and to Turkey twice. Is northern Cyprus a combination of the two, or is it very Turkish?
We are hoping to holiday in Northern Cyprus for August 2010.
There will proabably be just myself, husband and 15 year old son and we are looking at small villas.
If budget allows we would like a car for the full 2 weeks, villa prices are similar to what we paid to visit Southern Cyprus in 2009, it is the cost of flights???? We were hoping to fly to Ercan.
Myself and son are vegetarians and as we plan to have many BBQ's at the villa - can anyone tell me if the supermarkets sell vegetarian products such as Quorn - I am okay eating lots of vegetables, however our son likes vegetrian burgers, sausages etc.
Thanks
Irene
Hi Irene,

I am vegetarian too, but did not see any veggie products in the supermarkets. When we ate in I had to make pizza, baked potatoes and salad! You could always take dried veggieburger mix for the barbecue!
It is actually better to eat out as a vegetarian, as restaurants usually have vegetarian options on the menu, such as bean bakes etc. It is cheaper to eat out in North Cyprus than in the UK, and we think the food quality is better than e.g. Spain.
It is reasonable to hire a car for 2 weeks. I can recommend Bird rent a car. Re flights, it is cheaper to fly to Larnaca and book a taxi transfer which costs around £50 each way, through your car hire company.
I am surprised that you found villa prices similar to the south, as we have found them much cheaper. Try Owners Direct or Holiday Lettings.

Hope this helps.
lanzafan
Hi Lanzafan
Villas in Northern Cyprus are bigger than we had last year - seem a bit more upmarket - so thats what I mean about the price.
Shame about the vege stuff though - son not keen on jacket potatoes - loves salad but not for 2 weeks though!!!! He is the one that loves BBQ's.
Will check out the car hire company you mention. Will be a flight into Larnaca - nothing to Ercan from Manchester?
Thanks for your reply and if I think of anything else will it be okay to check with you?
Irene
Hi Irene,

I think the villas in North Cyprus are bigger and better value than the south! Just be careful whereabouts you book, as some areas are quite remote, although driving everywhere is the norm. The areas which are nearest to the best beaches are Alsancak and Lapta. There are decent supermarkets in these areas, too.

Re flights - I think there are Man- Ercan flights but they are generally more expensive (even allowing for the £50 transfer from Larnaca, which you can book at same time as car through Bird, if you like). Ercan flights also involve a spell on the tarmac in Turkey which makes the journey time longer. Best flights from Manchester we found were Wednesdays with Monarch.

Any other questions, just ask, or pm me.
Checking both sites that you mention - have found many - in fact spoilt for choice, would like to be near a decent beach as hubby and son like snorkelling and would be nice if beaches close or a few mins by car. Off to check a few more villas.
We are stuck to w/end flights because of hubbys work.
Thanks Irene
I am returning to Ozancoy North Cyprus for a fortnights holiday in October 2010. I usually visit in may/june. Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like in mid to late October and will all the restaurants and shops be open or do they close down for the winter.
Thanks in anticipation
John
Hi
We are still hoping to visit Northern Cyprus this year - however nothing booked as yet (FIL took ill and has since died and then we thought hubby would have to have an operation on his knee so everything was put on hold).
Really need to get something booked - lots of places are now full. :cry
My only small concern are the flights if we fly into Southern Cyprus - the transfer is quite a long one and I am wondering how people find this after their flight. It doesn't look possible to fly from Manchester into Ercan?
Any advice, tip most welcome.
Thanks Irene
Irene, I am in my 70,s wife late 60,s and we travel to Kyrenia each year via Larnaca. We have a taxi transfer which takes about 90 minutes but if this is during daylight it is a very interesting journey one I am sure you would enjoy. It is motorway until Nicocia then a good road until Kyreniam
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.