Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
I think there can be difficulties hiring a car in the south for a two week stay in the north. However if you contact a car hire firm in Kyrenia and hire a car for two weeks I am sure they will pick you up from, and return you, to the airport. I can confirm that in Cyprus you drive on the left, and outside of town traffic is light. I can,t help with villas as we stay in hotels. I do know that the Ship Inn Hotel has a few villas alongside the pool where you can be independant, or if you want to use the restaurant and bar of the hotel. However I think there are only six or so of these so will probable be booked up by now.
Irene have a look at almond holiday village just outside kyrenia...they have villas,bungaloes and hotel rooms..and can arrange to collect you from larnaca..almond-holidays.com...we spent 16 days there about 4 yrs ago....pefection..especially for older people
checkout the reviews....cheers....rod smith
I have hired a car in Northern Cyprus and found it very useful. Yes. they do drive on the correct side of the road, like us. I forgot I had my headlights switched on one day, got a bit lost and drove into the Girne army base by mistake. Since the lights were on, the guards just waved me through, thinking I was an official visitor. At least they thought it was funny when I eventually realised my mistake and turned around.
Denwardie - Brilliant suggestion about hiring the car in NC and getting picked up at airport - will certainly look into that.
Rod - The Almond Villa complex look lovely - maybe for us in a few years - hubby is in his early 50's and I am in my late 40's but our teenage son who is only 15 would be a bit 'lost' plus we were spoilt last year as we had our own pool.
rybristol - what are you like????? They could have come after you with guns!!!!!!!
Thanks for all your replies - still looking.
Irene
what currency do they use , is it the Turkish Lira or the Euro
Turkish Lira..Almond Village will take Stg also
Hi
We're visiting Northern Cyprus for the 2nd time this year and are thinking of staying for a night in one of the beach huts on stilts at the Livana Hotel on the Karpez Peninsula. Has anyone stayed in one before who can recommend it?
Thanks a lot
Bagpuss24
Didnt know you could now cross the border. Its about 15 years since we went to Cyprus, Protarus then Ayia Napa (not a good idea with a 3 year old and newly pregnant).

We went to Nicosia and was fascinated looking through the hole in the wall with the picture shrines. Would have loved to see more.

In those days you couldnt fly directly to the north or even go over the border.

Having quite a lot of Turkish visas now in my passport, it would be nice to see the other side of Cyprus.

how do you actually get there is it mainly DIY bookings, or do the main tour operators go there now. Was wondering about Famagusta as I was always curious as to what it was like even then. if we went it would be me, hubby and daughter who'd be 15 and would be in school hols next year.

I'll also do some more research. Fond memories of the greek side and leaving money for oranges in a basket at the end of a farmers field (imagine its not like that now).

Bev
Bev

If you want a package check out the websites for Direct Traveller, Green Island Holidays and Cyprus Paradise. We have been twice, once with Direct Traveller and and once indpendently. The package did work out cheaper because the flights are so expensive. You can either fly into Larnaca and transfer over the border or fly to Ercan in the north but this options means landing in Turkey first which does prolong your journey but gives a shorter transfer choice. We spent a very pleasant day in Famagusta. If you want any more information I would be happy to tell you what I can.
Thanks Norma, very kind of you. :tup

Bev
Hi all,
we live in North Cyprus so if you have any questions fire away and i will try and answer them. :sun2
what currency do they use , is it the Turkish Lira or the Euro

They will take either currency over the green line in the North of Cyprus.

We first crossed the cease fire line in November 1992 on foot by the Ledra Palace Hotel (still occupied by the UN) and we had to pay 1 Cyprus Pound and be back before it went dark with a stern warning "not to buy anything".

We've been across many times since then at different crossing points but do still like to go through on foot at the new Ledra Street crossing. It's at the main shopping street in Nicosia, past the old Woolworths - now Debenhams.

Our favourite place to end up is Buytuk Han which was originally an Ottoman travellers inn that has since been converted into small craft style shops with a couple of eateries within the walls.

Some images can be seen here: http://cyprusstamps.blogspot.com/2009/07/photos-from-nicosia-behind-green-line.html

We usually exit on the opposite side and eat in a small square on the outside of the wall. They do gorgeous kofta! :cheers

CwB
Living in Limassol since 2004
yes, we are still using the turkish lira here in the north, some places will accept sterling or euro but if they do they won't be giving you the best exchange rate. you will be exchanging money at their rate, so best to use the proper exchange places. rate is about 2.35 tl to the pound as of today but can go up or down a bit around that figure.
You don't get charged anything for crossing now a days, you just have to fill in a form at the customs which is your visa.
You can shop in the north but i think it is things like food stuff which they don't allow back to the south along with only 40 cigs.
Ledra street has/ is having a bit of a revamp , it is the best place to eat and shop in lefkosa/nicosia if your only on a day trip. lots of places to eat local turkish food, kebabs and such like. There are lots of shops selling gold at reasonable prices, when i say reasonable you will probably pay the same ish for an item as in the uk. but you will be getting 14 carat or 22 carat for the same money. Gold is costed by weight. lots of fake designer handbags. lots of fabric shops . there is also lots of old buildings being restored and lots of historical stuff to see, if thats your thing.
There are a few hotels in lefkosa but i would say go for the new modern type if you expect standards.
If your looking to do the tourist bit get a cab to kyrenia/girne which is the closest seaside area, about 1/2 hr by car. nice harbour but wouldn't say eat anywhere there, lots of tourist shops, but if your looking to eat give niazi's a try. its opposite the dome hotel. menu is both turkish and continental. again plenty of history to see.
hope that helps anyone visiting. :sun2
Firestarter
We will be in north Cyprus again in September and I'd like your help. We want to visit the new British memorial to pay our respects to a school friend of my husband's who was killed in Cyprus in 1958. I have researched the memorial and his name does appear, so we will take a poppy cross with us to place near his name. We are staying, again! at the lovely Ship Hotel. Can you give us directions from there?
grateful thanks
bee
coming out from the ship inn take a right turn onto the main road and head towards girne/kyrenia.
you will see a supermarket type shop called starling its close to that.
parking can be bad, but you can park for free behind the turkcell shop close by.
hope that helps. :sun2
Me again firestarter!! I've been told not to try to take alcohol or ciggies from the north to larnaca as they will be confiscated, but what about gifts ie. leather goods or jewellery? Is there a problem with them?
Two weeks and we will be there :tup :tup :cheers
From North to South i think you can only take 40 cigs each. one packed open and a spare so to speak. booze i am not sure about? they may stop you or you may be lucky, thats how it is but they will confiscate it if they catch you.
Stay away from Girne/Kyrenia for tourist shopping its expensive, Lefkosa/Nicosia is always a bit cheaper. There is a shop called china bazaar which sell designer fake handbags at good prices. last time i went there i paid about 13 gbp each.
If you cross from the south at Metehan/Nicosia go straight down the road as if you are heading to kyrenia, you will come to a big new roundabout at the bottom of the road,if you were going to kyrenia you would go left, but dont go straight over and china bazaar is on your left next to lemar supermarket. if you need to eat next door to them is a burger place, chicken burgers are best, (tender chichen meal).

If its jewelry your after its a good buy here. I usually go in Girne/Kyrenia for that, always make sure they weight the item, ask what you are paying a gram. then go to walk away saying that you just can't afford it, you didn't know it would be so expensive. do it nicely and hover a little, that should bag you a bargin. also first customer of the day get a better price. don't mention your a tourist, just choose and area and say you live here! erdinc i think is the name of the place i use.( main street to harbour about half way down on the right) have used him for years and he will always negociate on price. Girne to eat is either gulens kebab( takeaway greasy spoon, close to colony hotel, cheap and chearfull but good food.) niazi's (kebab and international just down from the harbour close to rocks hotel) or if you like fish there is a small looks like a greasy spoon, its between two petrol stations on the opposite side of the road to the colony about half way up. excellent fish and fish meze. indian is jashan, left out of girne just after the traffic lights for gau university on the main road, not uk standards but good food. chinese unless your eating it at the rocks hotel don't bother.( they are expensive) hope that helps just let me know if you need info on anything else. :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.