Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
firestarter, we have just returned from another fabulous fortnight in n. cyprus. we had a taxi to the memorial and laid our poppy cross. if you ever go there it is the one with the name robert (bobby) bunton. its a wonderful memorial and after telling guests at the ship about it quite a few visited the cemetery.
thanks very much for your help.
ps. the shipwreck was as interesting as ever. :cheers
No problem your more than welcome. Glad you had a great time.
You had the best of the weather cos its the first day it has rained here today in months. :sun2
Well after many weeks of checking out availability we have found a villa in Northern Cyprus - holidaying are myself, hubby and our16 year old son.
It is in the area of Tatilsu and we are travelling on 7th August. We will book flights into Larnaca and cross the border.
We will hire a car for the 2 weeks.
Just after a bit of information:
Is there a large supermarket in the area where we can stock up on groceries? Myself and son are vegetarians now I will be okay with salads, vegetables, cheeses etc but son does like vegeburgers, vegesausage when we would have a BBQ - are these readily available?
We hope to eat out a few times while we are there - any recommendations?
Places of interest to visit? Hubby and son like to do a bit of snorkelling.
Sorry to ask so much but I am really excited as I have wanted to visit Northern Cyprus.
Thanks in advance.
Irene
we have stayed quite a few times in n. cyprus but haven't been to the area where your holiday villa is situated. there are lots of local shops that sell a good variety of salad items and fruit.there is a big supermarket outside Kyrenia, its called "Starlings" they sell everything there you might need!
there are plenty of places to eat, but a word of caution about restaurants in the harbour, they can be very expensive. we stopped there one evening for a coffee. we were given two cups of hot water, two nescafe sachets and they cost nearly £6 :(
we are back out there in may in a small hotel called LA which is near Lapta. as you are having a car it might be an idea to visit some of the hotels, the staff always make you feel very welcome. :cheers
PS would recommend you call in at the Ship hotel for a coffee. our favourite place :)
Thanks for the info.
So looking forward to our first visit to Northern Cyprrus.
Just need to sort out a taxi transfer and some car hire.
We will book flights into Larnaca and cross the border.

Irene, just one point of interest you should know.....

It's not a "border". There are no borders in Cyprus. Better to refer to it as either a crossing point or the green line.

Cyprus is a single country, with the north being under illegal Turkish occupation and is not recognised as a separate unity by any other country except Turkey.

We have crossed on foot at Ledra Street a few times since they opened the new crossing there and have also driven through by the racecourse at Ay Dometios and Ay Nikolaos. However, prices to take our double cab through have rocketed in the last 12 months so now we prefer to cross on foot. Great for "designer" copies in the few shopping streets just the other end of Ledra Street. Generally we go when it's a public holiday in Cyprus (today is one, but we're going for lunch at the beach instead) as all the shops are still open in the north when they're closed in the Republic.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
If you are flying into Larnaca and driving into North Cyprus:

1. Congratulations on choosing a villa in Tatlisu; a gorgeous part of the island, and so much more laid back than around Kyrenia.

2. Check that your south Cyprus car hire firm allow you to drive in North Cyprus; not all of them do. One that does is cyprus-car.com, and they include full insurance too.

3. However, that insurance doesn't work in North Cyprus! You'll need to buy additional insurance at the crossing point you choose (see below) and that'll cover you whilst in North Cyprus.

4. Since you are staying well east of Kyrenia, there is a better way to cross the border than in Nicosia or at Ag Nic near Ayia Napa. Take the motorway from Larnaca airport north towards Ayia Napa, but turn off junc 59 and head due north to Pyla. Keep on and you'll find a crossing ahead at Pergamos. And although it may not be an actual border per se, you will need your passports.

Then, keep heading due north towards Dortyol and then Gecitkale, turning right towards Bogaz to bypass the town. Just after the town, you'll see a brand new petrol station and a road marked Tatlisu on your left. Take it through the foothills of the mountains - after an inital 1kms of rough surface, it turns into a new road built with foreign cash and it brings you out within just a few kms of Tatlisu. Head down towards the coast, turn right, and you're there!

5. To find the big supermarkets, just drive back along the new coast road towards Kyrenia until you reach the junction with the main road to Nicosia. Turn right towards Kyrenia, and you'll soon see supermarkets on their side of the road. Go a little further on and you'll find a fresh veg and fruit stall on the left - (Ya Beles, I think) very cheap, great choice and half the price of the supermarket opposite. If you can resist the superb new ice cream parlour on the new road about halfway back to Tatlisu, you're a better man than I!

Have a great time,

Sally
Shell and Sally - Thanks for your replies
I realise how wrong I was to use the expression border. Last year we went to Nicisia and tried to find the crossing point but it was so hot we gave up looking, we went to the 'look out tower' in Debenhams - we now realise we were only 2 minutes on foot from the crossing point. :duh
We are going to book a taxi to get us to our villa as we are arriving late at night and then hopefully we can get a car delivered to our villa.
The info on the supermarkets is really useful - we will eat in on a few nights but we will want to try some restaurants in the area.
Thanks again both and no doubt I will be asking further questions.
Irene
Glad to help!

Yes, a taxi across is a great idea - it's what we do because it saves the hassle of hiring in south Cyprus and while the route I described is absolutely straightforward to drive in the daylight, it's not so obvious the first time at night. Having said that, in reverse to the petrol station junction, it's a quick and easy route to the Karpaz Peninsula too; don't consider the old coast road from Tatlisu east unless you want your car rattled and rolled!

Take a look at northerncyprus.com for transfers from Larnaca to North Cyprus, and Pacific-rentals.com for car hire (our Toyota Yaris last year was virtually brand new and spotlessly clean). I would highly recommend cyprus44.com for quality holiday information on everything from scuba diving to watching sea turtles hatching on Alagadi Beach - a 'must-do' in my book, by the way!

Sally
Have now booked our flights to Cyprus. :sun2
Just looking through all the car hire options/taxi transfers.
On a 'lighter' note can anyone tell me if you can buy Bulmers Cider in the supermarkets and if so how much? :really
Thanks in advance.
Irene
just returned from a week at the LA Hotel north cyprus. I will do a hotel review.
logged onto cyprus44 forum and wished I hadn't :( :( someone posted to say they had found a tarantula in their wardrobe!!! apparently, as there are a lot of banana trees around its not unusual to find them. Not only that spider but a wolf spider which I googled and its horrible. OH has a phobia about spiders so cyprus if off the holiday list :cry
We found a huge spider in the boys bedroom 2 years ago (bedding had been changed on that day in the villa). TBH I didn't see it.
Youngest son wanted to get the Lynx and a lighter. :really
Hubby overcame his fear and got 'it' with a brush and a flipper. He said it was the size of his palm. Doesnt put me off going to Cyprus. Other insects I have seen in Spain, Canaries make me go cold!!!!!
There are spiders in just about every place you might want to visit !.. even here in the UK.. you can even get Tarantulas here just the same because of imported bananas etc... don't worry.. they do there best to stay out of your road... (but always bang shoes/boots out before putting them on.. :cheers )
Hello

We are looking for some advice .
we are hoping to visit Kyrenia next year, we are taking our son with us who is confined to a wheelchair.

Can anyone suggest a suitable hotel or apartment?
our ideal holiday with son is plenty of walking, nice places to eat etc.

we have been going to turkey for the last 6 years, and fancied a change.

hoping some-one can help.

Many Thanks
Hi
This August we are visiting Northern Cyprus for the first time so I can't help with advice at the moment.
I will ask a woman I work with as she has her own villa near Kyrenia if she knows of anywhere that would be suitable for you?
Have you thought about renting a villa?
Or maybe you want some entertainment 'on hand'
I will keep in touch.
Irene
Many Thanks

Appreciate your reply. we just like the nice restaurants and the odd drink out.

will look forward to your reply enjoy your holiday
Finningley,this review might help.Hotel is close to Kyrenia town centre.

http://www.northcyprushotels.co.uk/jasmine-court-hotel-8.asp
Hello

Many Thanks

It looks really nice will consider that one.

Thanks
Appreciate your reply
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.