Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Please tell us more....
We are off to Northern Cyprus for the first time in 3 weeks and 6 days. :rofl
Yes, I agree, Northern Cyprus is beautiful. We stayed in Girne, near the harbour, and hired a car for a few days to see most of the rest. Don't miss Bellapais, a short drive away from Girne.
A few photos HERE
Some nice photos.
We are staying in Tatislu, going to hire a car and will be visiting Girne and Bellapis Abbey.
Any tips/ideas, suggestions welcome.
Thanks Irene
Have booked out taxi transfer from Larnaca to Tatislu and arranged the car hire. 2 weeks tomorrow and we will be off on our first holiday to Northern Cyprus:sun2
Just wondering about currency. I normally take half local currency and half on a prepaid card (got one from Co-op Travel laast year).
Will also have debit card and credit card for emergency's. Just wondering whether there will be many places we can use a pre paid card, I am sure the supermarkets, petrol stations and a few restaurants will take them?
Advice welcome please.
Irene
the local currency is the Turkish lira but they will take euros and dollars. I usually ntake some lira but take sterling and change it there for a much better rate. Pre payment cards I am not sure but there are atm machines at many of the banks in kyrenia/girne and I have used debit cards there in the past with no problems, however, cash is better at restaurants. Have a good time and enjoy yourselves but remember it is not the over developed south and there is not a party culture in the north. Driving outside of kyrenia is ok and you drive on the left as in uk but be aware fixed and mobile speed cameras will inflict a very heavy fine and you will be stopped at the border by road or airport before you can leave the north to pay your fine so drive carefully.

magnentius
Hi Magentius
Thanks for your reply.
Going to take lira, sterling and my bank card (if needed), just worried about being covered for loss of actual currecy if we take a large amount? Must check out my insurance policy.
Thanks for the tip on the speed cameras - hubby will be doing most of the driving so I will warn him. :D
Back on Saturday night from our first holiday to TRNC and it will not be our last............
Brilliant holiday - will post more details later and some photos if I can manage!!!!!
Been to Turkey OluDenez /Hisanrou ...Where we really enjoyed our fortnight there.
We found the traders somewhat demanding impeeding our progress as we walked along the pavement in front of their shops restaurants all touting for the money we had.
Now we have been to Southern Cyprus many times my first visit was in in 1976 where I witnessed the refugee camps from the military action some two years earlier.
Personaly we prefer southern Cyprus not so much for its night life and noise even though we enjoy the odd pint of Ouzzo /Raki etc but just to get out and meet folk. We never once experienced the locals touting for our money, we could walk into their establishment and not purchase anything with no harrasment at all.
Now my question are the Northern Cyprus locals shop keepers / restaurant owners do they have the same mentallity as those we witnessed in Turkey or can we we browse their shops without been pestered?

A Merry Christmas to one and all.....
I understand what you mean. I would be reluctant to return to a 'resort' in Turkey because of that. We stayed in a village called Akbuk last time and had no hassle, however.
The only place in Northern Cyprus where I have found 'pestering' is Kyrenia harbour. Unfortunately the cafe/restaurant staff hassle passers by to try and get them into their establishments. Spoils a nice setting. The shops were fine. Outside of Kyrenia the restaurants are not really in a resort as such and people tend to drive there. Hassle free.
You will be pleased to know that the pestering of tourists has been banned now by the local council and the council are shutting the restaurants who still do the pestering.
We were pestered by the people trying to sell boat trips while we were in Kyrenia last August - just a polite 'Only here for today was enough'
Looking for independant villas for July/August.
Kyrenia is hardly the biggest harbour in the world but even so, the restaurants are all set together in just one small part of it. It's not going to be the worst hassle anyone could experience on holiday!

If you really want to avoid them, there is a back way (behind the White Pearl Hotel) which will take you up around and you can come back down the other side where the steps are (past the small car park). It brings you out between the last restaurant and the archway by the side of the castle entrance.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Have found our villa holiday for this year - situated in Ozankoy, looks fab.
Can't wait until end of July. :sun2
Irene
Villa booked - now to sort out flight's and boy they are expensive.
Was going to fly Manchester Larnaca but the prices................. We are considering flying Turkish airlines Manchester/Istanbul/Ercan - this is about the same price as a charter from Mnchester into Larnaca but we will not have the long transfer and the £100 cost from Southern Cyprus.
Anyone tried this - just a bit concerned about the 1 hour 15 minutes transfer time - what would happen if our flight was delayed into Istanbul?
All comments welcome.
Irene
Irene,have you tried Pegasus?
They fly from Manchester & Birmingham,more often from Stansted,no transfer from plane to plane in Istanbul.
http://www.flypgs.com
Hi
Thanks for the reply - just checked Pegasus out and they have no availability/don't fly on our dates.
Must get flights booked this week.
Great review but do the irritating symbols mean anything?
Hi, we are regular visitors to Cypurs and have been across to the Northern side on organised trips. We are renting a car when we go later this month and I was wondering if there are any points where we can walk across (I know about car insurance etc not being valid), was thinking of driving and parking up then walking across if this is possible?
Ledra street Lefkosia [Nicosia] i think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.