Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Their new 'direct to gate' service means you don't have to check-in in advance (either at a desk or on-line) at all - it's done at the gate. You can still check-in on-line and print out a boarding card if your flight doesn't meet the requirements for 'direct to gate'.

SM
I think with Norwegian flights from Gatwick you have to checkin at one of the self service kiosks or at the checkin desks , it appears that online checkin is not available on Norwegian flights departing Gatwick

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/check-in/online-check-in/

From how I understand it , it's like the old way easyjet used to work , in that you have a reference code ( 6 digit ) and that is input at the desk or kiosk to print your boarding cards

Not sure if things have changed recently , but on searching could only see what I have explained above ?? , might have changed , might be wrong :que
Norwegian's own website

http://www.norwegian.com/en/customer-services/travel-information/check-in-and-boarding/

states

Online check-in

Online Check-in is available for most flights within Europe from 24 hours up to one hour before departure. To check in online and access your boarding pass, log in to “My Reservations” and follow the prompts. You can also check-in via your SMS-ticket or the Norwegian App. Please bring your boarding pass to the airport.

If you are travelling with checked baggage, bag tags can be printed at the airport check-in kiosks. Bag drop must be completed in accordance with our check-in deadlines.

If you are travelling with hand luggage only, check in online and present your boarding pass at security. Passengers must adhere to the relevant boarding deadlines.

To change your ticket after you have checked in, phone our Contact Centre.

NOTE: Unaccompanied minors and passengers travelling with animals must check in at the airport.

So I guess it depends on which airport/s you wish to use and you would need to check before booking if it was that important to you.

SM
martynh99 wrote:
Looking on their website, it looks like even if you have hand luggage only, you still have to check in at the check in desk (unless originating flight in Nordic country).

This is one of the benefits of taking hand luggage only / online check-in , you don't have to queue up at a check in desk.

Does anybody have experience of whether this is enforced or not ?

SMa wrote:
You can still check-in on-line and print out a boarding card if your flight doesn't meet the requirements for 'direct to gate'.

SM

SMa wrote:
]

So I guess it depends on which airport/s you wish to use and you would need to check before booking if it was that important to you.

SM

I see that online checkin is available for " most" flights within Europe , etc etc as stated on their website , so I contacted them on online via their web chat . As follows ....

Linn , Hi my name is Linn , how may I help you ?

Andy 66 is online checkin available when flying from UK airports ?

Linn, unfortunately it is not possible to use online checkin when flying to/from the UK

Andy 66 thanks , I see that you have to use the self service kiosks , is this correct ? With the reference code from your booking/ travel document

Linn , depending on destination , but for most destination ( except the US ) you can use the self service desk

Thanks and byes exchanged

Have read reviews that the self serve checkin at LGW is easy to use and they are manned with staff to help you process your boarding card .
We had 'travel documents' provided by Norwegian via email that looked exactly like the usual A4 boarding cards you get from Ryanair etc apart from they didn't have boarding card printed on them. We also checked in via the Norwegian Apple app but still got traditional printed boarding cards at the check in desk both sides.
Was your checkin quick and easy ? Have read that the "travel documents " look very similar to a boarding card !! By using the app , did it download your boarding card ? and can you easily put it into Passbook ? Have read that this doesn't always work !
I have the app for a different airline and the more I play around with it the more likely I'm going to use it for checkin and boarding card , it seems easy to use after getting used to it and is obviously the way forward ! Still have the chance to get a traditional boarding card at check in if something does go wrong
andy66 wrote:
Was your checkin quick and easy ? Have read that the "travel documents " look very similar to a boarding card !! By using the app , did it download your boarding card ? and can you easily put it into Passbook ? Have read that this doesn't always work !
I have the app for a different airline and the more I play around with it the more likely I'm going to use it for checkin and boarding card , it seems easy to use after getting used to it and is obviously the way forward ! Still have the chance to get a traditional boarding card at check in if something does go wrong

Yes the Norwegian app did give the option to add to Passbook after the online check in stage but as i'd never used this before on the iPod and arriving a little late at the airport (outbound and inbound) I didn't want to chance it.

Check in was quick and easy at both ends, two desks open for the flight at both sides and only a dozen or so people queuing.

Forgot to mention the free wifi. On the outbound flight I couldn't get my iPod to connect at all but a google nexus 7 connected first time. On return flight both connected with no issues.
web browsing / facebook / iMessage / email worked a treat. It also gives you a flight tracker / time to arrive at destination tracker along with a few free TV episodes or movies for €5 each.
Good to hear a review of Norwegian , they do seem to be serious rivals to EZY and Ryan , and another good choice for people to think about or compare prices to , or even rival to European legacy airlines on short haul ;)
I would think the free wifi offer will be popular these days too !
Pleased you had a good experience , their online web chat was responsive and friendly too .

Getting used to this phone checkin / passbook gradually , I think :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.