Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Oct 2010
11 Posts
We went to Side in October half term last year....day times were very pleasant (low to mid 30Cs i think), it started to cloud up most days between 3 and 4pm, and once it was dark it felt very cold. Ok it was probably the late teens, even low 20Cs (according to thermometer in one of the bars anyway) but for some reason it felt freezing, and we definitely wanted more than a light cardigan (most of us had got thin coats for travelling, but my teenage daughter didn't and she certainly looked cold).

As I said, day times were very nice, although we sat on the beach in our swimwear with locals wrapped up in coats and scarves moaning about the cold. Wouldn't their faces be a picture stepping off a plane here in the weather we're having? :rofl

We felt the sea was cold at first, but when you got used to it it was fine. Pools were very cold.

We also had a lot of rain, more than expected. Pools overflowed more than once, and drains also overflowed on one occasion causing very minor flooding. We also had some amazing storms at night, lasting several hours. These causes power cuts of up to 5 hours, although hotels/bars seem to deal with this very well. The storms were absolutely amazing to watch, espiecally of our last but one night, where three storms collided out at sea - the lightening was wonderful.

Having been to Side in July, August/September and October I would say I would visit again in October....as in the summer it was too hot to do much (over 55C one day). However, if I wanted a holiday where I was going to spend all of it sunabthing, I wouldn't go in October.
Many thanks..most informative.
I'd always believed weather was good at the end of sept still and a good time for diving given dive temps should be good then after the very hot summer . maybe you were unlucky cloclo :think

My lot have all dived in Turkey Val . ok it's not the red sea but mine would dive in a bucket if they could and from what Daves told me it's certainly a lot more relaxed and enjoyable.

They've done a fair bit around olu deniz and icmeler (Dalaman coast) .I'm sure they said Walls, caves that type of thing but not a lot of colour . Found a really nice dive outfit in Turgetreis (bodrum coast) the year we went there run by an English couple and they had some good days with them and said there was more colour along that stretch . went to side last year (Antayla stretch) but not much diving around there as it's just sand .

lyn
Justval,

I've posted loads of diving information, photos and videos if you do a forum search. As lynwestie mentions, it's not the best place although the calm, clear waters makes it quite relaxing. It's a great training destination, but not the best in terms of marine life. Depending on where you go, I actually got bored after a couple of dives! The Sea temperature in September (when I normally go) is around 26C, but there are thermoclines in places that go down to 20C (and you really feel it!). A 5mm wetsuit or semidry is fine. There's plenty of weather information on the WEATHER: reports, news, Q&As topic.

Darren
End of September, early October is usually very nice weather, hot enough to get a suntan but comfortable enough as well. The evenings can get chilly though. I think CloClo must have been unlucky as it isn't normally like that in October, although half term is usually the last week so the weather can change then. Early october should be fine though.

CloClo - it is amazing how cold it does feel in October in turkey if you have been used to being so hot for months but I'm sure they are used to the cold too, -20 is not unusual for Turkey in the winter

The sea temperature is normally warm as it has had the whole summer to warm up so scuba diving should be good.
We've been in October a couple of times. Early October is usually pretty good. The later on you go into October the more unreliable the weather is likely to be, although most days which usually be lovely. Pools are likely to be cold, but the sea is usually warm. Can't really comment on scuba diving, although I know it is quite popular in Turkey, have to admit I know nothing about it.
I went to Gumbet for the 2nd week of October last year....I was a little apprehensive weather wise too.

However we had a fabulous week of good weather every day bar one when it clouded over a little, this was after a night of torrential rain (rather it was at night !)

I'm going back almost exactly the same time this year without hesitation, I swam in the bay at Gumbet and as we went on 2 boat trips I was in and out of the sea for 2 whole days....the water was glorious and not cold at all.
Thank you all for your responses. The quality of diving is an important facotr in the holiday..more so for Rob than me..so if we go, I expect we will go Olu Deniz side...but if the diving is a little tame then it may not be for us..unless there is plenty to explore..which I am guessing there will be becuase its Turkey which has a wonderful coloured history.
I think I will do a little more research before we book owt definite.
Once again thank you for taking the trouble to respond to my question.
I have been last 3 years first week in October, and it has been roasting, going again this year, enjoy :tup
I really can not comment on the diving... but we have been a couple of times at the begining of oct, and the weather was lovely, day and night... the sea was lovely to swim in too, but once we went the 2nd week into october and there was lots of rain and storms, out hotel got flooded and it was quiet chilly in the evenings so much so we were all shivering even with our jackets on... we were in marmaris though! :think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.