Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Enjoying your report Fiona, I agree the airport in Samui is fantastic, the Bandara sounds great and I think you got a very good deal on it :tup
Enjoyed the first instalment Fiona so hurry with the next one please! :tup

Wow the airport - that is lovely :tup
Just a quick add on, as I don't think too many are interested in Thailand here.
For those who have been to Bophut in the past- the Happy Elephant restaurant always got rave reviews( including from us). We went on our first night and although it was ok we were so disappointed. They have done the place up and also the menu concentrates more on European dishes- which is not what I came to Thailand for.
Starfish and Coffee- still great. It has European dishes but the Thai food is fab.
Smile and Shades were super places. Loved the food in both.
Big disappointment was the cost of fish dishes there. We used to love picking out our fish but I just refused to pay the prices this year.
We went into Chaweng 3 times and twice ate at Chilli- this was our favourite years ago and its still as good now. Costs of fish there must have been almost half of what we saw in Bophut.
Friday nights- wow! Fishermans Village is teeming with stalls with everything for sale and lots of food and drink stalls. No idea where everyone comes from- its packed! Great atmosphere. They also have a group playing by the pier.
I had read reports that songthaews were few and far between these days. No idea where that came from- there seemed as many now as years ago. 200 bahts for the two of us in and out of Chaweng in the evenings.

Bangkok
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/thailand/bangkok/the-landmark-hotel/
I also wrote about the restuarants in the review. As you can see I was a bit disappointed that the rooms have lost their Thai feel. Although the standards itself was very high.
We only had a couple of days. Did the usual- jump on a boat and stop off a couple of times. Lunch at Khao San Road- can't miss out that! One place we found new to us was Tien Market- same stop as Grand Palace and really fascinating place( we didnt go to Grand Palace again) The shops on the street part of the market reminded me of the old style chemists- with all the dark wooden shelves and bottles.
We also went to Chatachuk where we got lost yet again! Love seeing the pets there :)
I think I could keep going back to Bangkok, do the same things and never be bored :)
Las Vegas next for us( over New Year). Not sure where we will go next summer. I would really love to return to Bali but might have to persuade OH that we haven't been too many times already.
I always get lost in Chatuchak, I just resign myself to spending hours there and just enjoy wandering round all of the stalls.
Bangkok is one of my favourite places, certainly didn't mind being stranded there in 2008 even though it was costing me a fair amount of cash.
Thanks for sharing with us Fiona, I'll always be a Thailand fan, just wish it didn't take 12 hours to get there as I'm getting tired of long haul flights. Even longer for you I'm guessing.
Loved reading your report Fiona. It got me thinking about it as a possibility for next year until I read that the flight time's 12 hours :( I don't think I could handle that. I've been to Mexico and the Dominican republic and those flights were too long and just about bearable.
Brill report Fiona, I have to say Happy Elephant was mine and hubbies fave Samui restaurant, but then I am going back years, we even once got a taxi all the way from Hua Thanon just for a meal there :really However not been to Samui since 2007 and vowed to never go back , the place I once loved is now too western for me :cry

Bangkok wow , wow, wow, LOVE IT , I have been at least 8 times and can never tire of it, everything from the markets, massages, Khao San , it's amazing, always will have a very special place in my heart :)
thanks all :)
Not sure about returning to KS either Shirley. Bophut is getting a bit upmarket and I wouldn't stay in Chaweng - too busy.
Bangkok- just love it. Judith- we should have got a map for the market but actually its kind of fun- like trying to get out of a maze!
Shirley H- don't let the flight time put you off. Although Qatar let us down on the way out this time, they were bang on time the four flights we had last year. Flying through Qatar or Dubai is fine- that way you have two shorter flights. Of course with the connection you add more airport time but I am usually climbing the wall on a non stop flight. If you ever do go to Thailand- make the Bangkok stay at the end of your holiday. Too many folks decide they dont like the place- but its not the sort of place to hit when you are jetlagged!( not for the first time anyway)
Thanks for the report Fiona. We nearly went back to Samui this year to give it another try - seventeen years since we've been, but Khao Lak fitted in better with our plans to visit Chaing Mai again (for all those who've not been, trust me, its worth it :) . Actually prefer it to Bangkok). We had found a quiet beach area we were interested in on Samui - Lipa noi, as we figured that places we had been to before like Chaweng and Cheong Mon would have been developed beyond recognition. To be honest we've not bothered with Samui much as after a couple of stays we felt it was the least Thai feeling of the resorts we've stayed at.

We've not been to Bangkok for the last couple of trips as we've used KL as a hub, makes a nice change though not a particularly exciting city.
Chaing Mai-haven't got round to it yet. I'm not sure about going in the summer though.
Have to say I have had one time in KL- five days though- split before and after Bali. It would be my least favourite far east city I've visited. Funnily enough we stayed at one of our best hotels then :)
If I need a place for R&R after exploring somewhere I would probably just go to Hua Hin now rather than KS.
Thanks Glynis :tup
I agree re Hua Hin Fiona, I would go there rather than KS even though I think it is very ugly :que I think with the right hotel it can be a great place to stay, we had 10 nights of pure bliss in the Anantara Lagoon Suites a few years ago. We found some great restaurants in Hua Hin and really enjoyed it.
As for Chatuchak I spent 9 hours there one day last November and still didn't see it all, we had 3 refreshment stops and there are some quite chic little bars and eating places, we did have a Nancy Chandler map which I have kept for our next time ;)
I was lucky to visit Chiang Mai 10 years ago and we had a great time , we also went in summer but were very lucky weather wise, I remember the night market was great, we stayed in the Royal Princess which was great.
Hoping to visit Thailand again in the next year or two , possibly Ko Phangan or Ko Lipe :think I hope to re visit Ko Chang too , it is my favourite Thai island.
Shirley - I wasn't that enamoured with Hua Hin the first time I went years ago. But last year- staying at the Sofitel and finding great little restaurants and bars- so much better :) We only went to HH as it was the nearest place for just vegging out after Siem Reap and before Bangkok- glad I did.
Great read Fiona. We went with Qatar when we backpacked around Thailand in 2003 and found them excellent (as well as all drinks being complimentary ;) ). Flight was straightforward...6hrs to Doha..quick turnaround then five and half hours to Bangkok where we stayed overnight at Asia Airport Hotel.

Oh Koh Samui airport .. :tup .. WONDERFUL then! We just grabbed taxi and went looking for somewhere to stay...and ended up at Chaweng Gardens Beach Resort..right on the beach...excellent - but no idea what it's like now LOL! We hired a jeep and did the island. In those three weeks we did..

Bangkok -(Asia Air Hotel)
Koh Samui - (Chaweng Gardens Beach Resort)
Koh Lanta - (Good Days Lanta)
Koh Phi Phi - (Phi Phi Villa Resort :yikes one night then moved to Andaman Resort)
Krabbi - (Diamond Cave Bungalows)
Phuket - (Karon Place Hotel (more flights to get back to Bangkok from Phuket)
Bangkok - (Viangthai Hotel)

2010 we 'did' Koh Chang and Koh Mak..and must say thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Koh Chang (even the bus trip down from Bangkok rather than internal flight :D ) - on Cambodian border.
I did say you would never get me packpacking but after a holiday in Goa with only my carry on bag I know I could do it now( as long as I have my straighteners :rofl )
Do they still do free bananas at Samui airport? Looking at the photos its obviously got a bit more sophisticated then since I last used it.
its def more sophisticated! Yes- they do bananas, nibbles, sandwiches, soft drinks- just help yourself. We had already eaten at a lovely wine bar place at the top of the promenade though.
Thanks for the report Fiona. We're off to Koh Samui for the first time next month, staying at the 6 Senses near Bophut, so your restaurant tips have come in handy and we'll definitely visit the Fisherman's Village on a Friday night!

Like you, we're looking for a very lazy holiday, but as it's our first (and possibly only!) time I'd at least like to do an island tour. From what I've seen, most of them seem to be by open-top jeep, which I don't really fancy, as September's the start of the rainy season. Has anyone got any tips for minibus tours please?
I've enjoyed reading this thread Fiona, as you may know my son was planning a trip this year he was going to do it solo - he has a new love in his life and the 3 week solo trip is no more at the moment ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.