UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi Pat ... I assume that you have checked out the links in THIS thread.

But as you have had no feedback or suggestions here in the Disabled Holidays forum, I will move the thread now to our UK & Eire forum in the hope of attracting more attention.

David :wave
You should be able to obtain Oxygen from any Chemist provided you give them enough notice. As I am sure you are aware, Oxygen is now available from your GP on prescription and can usually be obtained quite easily from most Pharmacies. In the event of an emergency, say if your father runs out in the middle of the night you could contact NHS Direct. (More info on NHS direct HERE), and in extreme cases they will arrange for oxygen to be delivered to you, usually by ambulance if there is no other alternative.
But please do not worry, your father will not have to be taken into hospital. I am speaking from my experience as a Paramedic before my own Heart Attack. I often had to go and collect replacement oxygen for oxygen-dependant patients and this was quite a normal part of my duties.

Have a look at THIS site and scroll down to 'Travel'. If your father already has a Prescription for his Oxygen then you should have no problems. Just look up the local Pharmacies in the area you wish to travel to and give them a ring.

If you take a look at the 'Boots The Chemist' website HERE , enter your location details and scroll down to services and check the 'oxygen' box it will give you the name of the nearest branch from which you should be able to obtain replacement oxygen.

For example, I entered my Home Town of Skegness and checked the Oxygen box and it gave me a list of all the Boots Stores within my area and surrounding areas from where I could obtain oxygen from.

You might also want to have a look HERE where you will find some more very useful information which may help you with your enquiry.

And just in case you decide to venture a little further afield than the UK, if you take a look at THIS website, you will find a lot more useful information to help you with your holiday plans. And THIS website might alos be of some assistance to you.

And finally, I have found THIS website for you. It contains even more useful information which I am sure will be of some assistance to you.

As for where to go in the UK, well thats a difficult one, but if your father is ambulatory, then I would suggest somewhere by the sea and somewhere reasonably flat. The Lincolnshire Coastal Resorts (including my Home Town) might fit your bill. You do not want to go anywhere really where there are steep inclines, such as Scarborough although this is a beautiful place of course. But from your fathers point of view, he will probably not want to negogiate hills. So somewhere that is reasonbably flat would be ideal in my humble opinion.

THIS website might be able to assist you with planning your holiday.

Please bare in mind that I have found all the above websites from 'googling' and have no personal experience of them, and am unable to provide any recommendations with the exception of NHS Direct who are always very helpful.

I'm sure you will not have any problems. And I hope you find a suitable holiday. Hope this helps.

Gary
pat, take his prescription to Boots. My Grandfather in law was oxygen dependent and his local branch of Boots always arranged for a prescription to be fulfilled at whatever his destination was. They delivered the oxygen too. There was never a problem.
My wife recently has been diagnosed and requires oxygen at home. We now have an Oxygen generator installed at home which pumps out Oxygen all day. We have been told recently that a new portable oxygen generator is going to be available in the next few months. It has come over from the USA. It will fit as hand luggage on flights and can be used instead of portable cylinders, which we have at the moment and use when ever we go out of the house. The days of relying on oxygen bottles and their deliver should be a thing of the past in the near future.
thanks folks for all your help
still not sure what we are gonna do
dad has a machine in the house that makes the oxygen for him but has to have portable bottles to go out
but the travelling machine sounds fab
so fingers crossed eh
pat
Have just returned from a 2 week break in Cornwall. On the saturday we arrived the local oxygen company came in and fitted the oxygen concentrator machine into the cottage we were staying in. The local hospital had my wifes notes and did the blood tests required. This was coordinated by our local hospital.
All in all if you do some chasing through the GP's, local hospitals and oxygen companies, they're is nothing stopping you having a holiday anywhere in the country. This was our first holiday since my wife was diagnosed and the good old NHS came up trumps.
Don't know if any of the previous posters are interested but I thought I'd tell you all a bit more about the portable oxygen concentrators. My dad has to have oxygen and he has a large concentrator at home and the bottles for a portable supply. We had a cruise booked last year and didn't know how we would make the bottles last as we were told we could only take 5 bottles on the ship. Dad heard about the portable machine and arranged a demo at home. Good news is he was delighted with it and bought one. Bad news is it cost £3,000 pounds. If you can afford it, great and he did enjoy his holiday. We still took the bottles and he used them in the cabin and the portable when out and about.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.