Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
He would have to be very careful, as some lung disease sufferers retain carbon dioxide. In these cases they can only have limited percentages of oxygen. He should ask his chest physician for advice first. All planes carry oxygen cylinders!
madmadge,

You would need to speak to the airline he's flying with to make sure they can accomodate his needs and take medical oxygen with him. There are specific rules and regulations for taking compressed gasses, especially oxygen onboard an aircraft. An example is here under 'Travelling with medicines or medical equipment'. It would require medical certification.

Darren
Coming back from Murcia in September, a woman on our flight complained of difficulty breathing (she was asthmatic). They brought her to the back of the plane where she sat with a stewardess breathing oxygen from a bottle till she felt better. The cabin crew were really nice about it, no fuss or panic. I assumed anyone with breathing problems on a flight would be offered oxygen.
eviljock wrote:
I assumed anyone with breathing problems on a flight would be offered oxygen.

In a medical emergency, yes. But if you have a known medical need for it, it's up to the passenger to bring it onboard or arrange things with the airline, and comply with airline regulations. The most important thing is forward planning, hence the need to speak to the airline prior to travelling.

Darren
Not everybody on a flight who requests oxygen would be offered it. It is always advisable to contact the airline and prebook in advance. This therefore ensures the correct cylinders can be loaded onboard the aircraft and the flo-rate can be adjusted and set to the particular patients medical reuirements.

We do carry oxygen for emergency and medical use, however this is not a limitless supply. The oxygen cylinders are also used by the crew in event of a decompression, therefore when a certain amount is used from each cylinder we would then have to say no.

In all instances, should you know that you require oxygen, this should always be prebooked.
Dazbo, you just beat me to it!!!
I watched Airline on Sky a few days ago and the airline refused to let an old woman of about 75 take oxygen on to a flight due to security risks. A very unlikely terror suspect such as her would be an ideal target for indoctrination by A.Q.
She was seen by para medics prior to flying and they refused to give her oxygen as she wasn't an emergency!

Basically, ask the airline and the airport security well in advance.

:que :que
Thomson Airways seems to be getting it right after customer feedback they have scrapped oxygen charges.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/press-centre/2009/thomson-scrap-oxygen-charges.html

Angie.
My son ( 9yrs ) is on oxygen 24/7 due to a lung condition. We have flown 3 times with different airlines abroad and to London from Scotland and each time the rules are different. We havent flown for 4 years due to the stress of organising a flight or a holiday. Organising oxygen for a british holiday is stressful enough.

We are hoping to get abroad next year and we are thinking of Tenerife. Can anyone tell me who would we contact on Tenerife to organise oxygen ?? We where advised by the SHC that if a country supplies O2 to their citizens FOC then you should receive it FOC. If they charge a citizen then you would be charged. If anyone has any information on airlines and countries who dont charge can you post.

Thank you Edel Y
Welcome Edel Y ... this section of the site is specifically about airlines and airports, and hopefully you will attract some feedback and advice about oxygen on flights.

However, for general info about oxygen supplies in overseas resorts or countries, it may be best posting in our General Holiday Enquiries and/or Disabled Persons Holidays forums, where oxygen supplies have sometimes been discussed.

David :wave
Thanks for that David - Bit of a technophobe !!! Will look at that section for info. Edel
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.