America - Florida Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Florida.
are you sure,you want to stay in a villa without a car?
i would say getting around,without a car,from any villa community,would not be easy & would end up,being really costly.
tracy x
We really would have preferred a villa. I was told that Indian Ridge was really close to Animal Kingdom but am now hearing differently. Looks like we will need to rethink the villa as we definitely do not want to drive. I'm bad enough driving in this country, lol

Karen :cheers
I also wouldn't recommend a villa if you won't be driving as public transport in those areas isn't the best.

There are some apartment type hotels on International Drive if that would be a compromise?

luci :wave
Thank you, Looks like we will be sticking with a disney resort hotel so that at least we have the transport to all the parks sorted.

Karen :cheers
A Disney resort hotel would be fine if you are mainly visiting the Disney parks. However if you intend visiting Universal Studios, Sea World, etc there may be better options.

luci :wave
The tour operator brochures also kind of give the impression that villas are a bit closer than they are as well. If they say 30 mins they are probably 40 mins. I personally wouldn't stay in either a villa or a hotel there without a car as although the transport systems are OK (I have stayed in two Disney Resorts) they are still not as flexible as having a car. I would say driving in the US tends to be easier than driving here, its a country that is geared up for drivers - part of their culture. Obvioulsy that's a bit of a generalisation and I am not talking about New York in the rush hour etc

:sun2
driving really is easy over there & is alot more pleasurable than over here.
i would really re think,your decision not to drive,it really does give you so much more freedom.we love to just jump in the car & take off to the beach for the day or to the shopping malls,to spend a few hours there,or even driving to all the different restaurants to eat.
i love staying in a villa,i love the space,i love our own pool,i love relaxing on the sofa at night.
i couldn't think of anything worse,than staying in one room,especially with children.we did it once,with our grandaughter,when she was 6 & never again,because hubby likes to relax at night,with a drink & some tv & it just didn't work,with us all in the one room.don't get me wrong,it was a fantastic holiday,but the ones in a villa,we have enjoyed so much more.
staying onsite as well,also limits you.there are so many great places to eat off site,but again without a car,it would just be too much hassle,so you probably wouldn't bother,so would miss out.
honestly i think your holiday,would be so much better,with a car,you certainly wouldn't regret it.
tracy x
Disney resort hotels are very nice if you are going with young kids as the theming is pretty special, but another thing to be aware of is there food prices seem to be quite a bit more than eating off site, which might cover the cost of car hire , if it is an option for you .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.