General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
PASSPORT PHOTOS
32 Posts
The new regulations for passport photos were implemented in 2005 so photographers who do passport photos should have the correct equipment by now. I had the same problem 2years ago, in the past I have always used one of the instant booths for passport pictures, but on this instance because of new. regs I went to a professional photographer for my photos and they were still refused by the passport office because the picture was too pale. Luckily I had arranged to get my passport at the main passport office in London and there was a booth in the building where I was able to obtain replacement pictures. I find it hard to believe that 4years after implementation of the new regulations professional photographers are still getting it wrong.
My wife has just renewed her passport photos without glasses,her photos were done by Klicks this is where the Post Office recommended.
I had this problem for both of my children's passports. Applied for them at differant times with differant photographers (one was done at the Post Office, the guy has all the equipment). Both were returned, the first time I went and got other pics done the second time I complained to the guy at the Post Office and he advised me there was nothing wrong with the photo and told me to send it back. He told me that he advised everyone who had problems to do that and they always get accepted the second time. Unfortunately I wasn't brave enough to see if his theory worked and just took my daughter to a photo booth and didn't have any problems with that photo.
Took mine and my two childrens with my own camera and got them printed off at Asda and they all came back fine. Background cannot be white.
I went to the Post Office on Friday (3rd April) to have new photos taken and apply for my passport renewal. I assumed the new one would take a week or two to arrive but it was hand delivered to me this morning. I cannot believe how quickly it was processed :D
laudan wrote:
Took mine and my two childrens with my own camera and got them printed off at Asda and they all came back fine. Background cannot be white.

That's strange then, because my son and I had ours renewed last month and both the backgrounds are white. In fact when I've looked at them now, I look like I've blended into the page as I have blonde hair and am really pale at present. The stupid franking doesn't help over the top of the photo either.
I found the staff at Klick to be really helpful, they told me to keep my reciept and if the photos were rejected they would do them again.
Do you think it just depends on the mood of the person who deals with your application? There doesn't seem to be any consistency!
After reading the replies so far, I am wondering if it depends on which Passport Office your application goes to. As a matter of interest, the letter enclosed with our returned photos said that "photographs must be professionally taken". :que :que
My husband is tall, and he had to crouch down in the photo booth because the wind-y stool was broken.
This made him get too close to the camera, so his photo came out big
and his ears stuck out of the size grid :rofl

he had to get some more photos done
(he's really pleased I'm posting this info)
My daughter sent off her application a couple of weeks ago,had her photo returned saying it was taken too far away!!it looks no different to mine on my passport!she had hers done professionally and had to go back and have another done,its getting ridiculious!!her photo wasnt taken too far away!!dont know what they are playing at!!.
The UK Passport office is now very strict on the quality and regulations governing passport photos. Many people do them at home and print them on their printers and send them in, part of the reason they are very strict and have a set of tough quality criteria to deter the DIY photos! There's also the security aspect; a good quality photo is needed to be able to scan in to their database with enough contrast and detail to be useful for the digital searching tools. Maybe they are a little strict, but the rules are there for a reason and if the photo won't scan properly, they'll ask for another. I do my own, and family passport photos and have never had a problem. But you have to follow the guidance given accurately or they will reject them. There's really no excuse for photo shops / professional photographers getting it wrong. Although the guidance is a little complicated, it's not that hard to follow and get the results you are after (and I'm far from a professional photographer, just sell an odd one to the aviation press / media).

Darren
oh dear getting myself my hubby and sons done at the weekend...hope they r ok cos its not cheap to get 3 sets done :(

Scully27
I renewed my passport last year and had my photo done in a photobooth specifically designed for passport photos. The booth rejected my first photo - it told me my fringe was covering too much of my face so I scraped it back and sat very still so it didn't flop forward again. The second, my eyes were too high ie not in the box marked on the screen. The third, my fringe had fallen over my face again whilst I adjusted my eyes into the box on the screen. By the time it took the fourth and final photo (last chance) I was red and flustered and I look extremely peed off. It's a terrible photo but I really couldn't face going through the whole thing again (or paying another £4.50) so just used it. I really wanted a decent photo this time and it narks me everytime I look at it.

The whole episode reminded me of that advert for Hamlet cigars with the guy and his combover in the photobooth - am I showing my age here?? :think
Well sent for my passports today...got photos took at Klick...paid for check and send...fingers crossed they are ok ....hope so cost me enough... :que

Scully 27
I renewed my passport last year and had photographs taken in a Woolies store, but I didn't like the look of them. I decided to have my photographs taken professionally and I am glad I did, because I didn't know until I spoke to the photographer that the passport office were returning photos (even photographers photos) for what we would think were petty reasons. As he had already taken hundreds he knew what the passport office didn't want.

What surprised me is that my photograph was taken really close up, and yet when my other half had his photographs taken (in a booth) a year before mine, his shoulders were in view but mine were not and yet his photos were accepted. I guess the passport office had changed their rules yet again.

My photographs cost £15 for 4 but I think they were worth it.
I don't think anybody minds the passport office being reasonably strict with passport photos - for the reasons Dazbo states but it is irritating when you can't work out the logic. My work colleague had her six month old baby's photo rejected because you could see the tip of my colleagues little finger at neck level (she had to steady the baby's head because the baby, of course, was trying to look everywhere other than the camera). I had mine rejected because of the dreaded fringe problem - which I understand if it is covering the eyes but mine was at 'on the eyebrow' level' - normally it comes down even lower. At the same time my daughter's was accepted even though she was 'caked' in make-up (my opinion) making her look very different - I even had one in reserve for her which I was hoping they'd ask for because I prefer her more natural look ;) .

Just as a matter of interest - Why are you not allowed to smile? :think Most people seem to give the passport officers a 'guilty' smile as they go past passport control - surely a 'guilty' smile would be more lifelike :D
tippi,

They don't like you smiling as that is an expression; they'd rather you have a neutral look for the reasons mentioned above. I always think the photo for a baby is a bit silly. I know with my niece, she changed so much by the time it came to renew her passport, it could have been anyones child on the original one! It would make more sense to have a reduced expirery for children and certainly not worry about the presence of finger tips give they probably won't look anything like the photo 6 months down the line.

Darren
Anyone renewed childs passport with change of surname?Is it as straight forward as ot looks? Is it just the deedpoll with new photos you have to send?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.