Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Pisa/Florence
50 Posts
Thanks Paula, that will get me started with my planning. I get a little notebook and make all my plans long before I go. I hate just wandering around not knowing where I am going when time is limited. I particularly want to go to San Gimignamo so I will be allowing for that. We will be using public transport though so I will have a look at timetables etc.

Julie
If you're thinking about staying overnight or whatever in Florence, the Holiday Inn Florence (not 'North'), is nice, has a pool and is about 100 euros per room per night. It's on the other side of the Arno, but easily accessible by bus. I'd go back there in a minute. Some cafes and shops etc nearby also.
Thanks Lesley, I will look into that as well. I might go again later in the year and stay in Florence for the week.
The holiday inn florence is really good value compared to others, and had good facitilies too. Easy bus ride to city. 1 euro each way I think.

http://www.hiexpress.co.uk

(it's not a holiday inn express though)
Hello, can anyone please tell me where in Florence this is, according to my book there is a Roman Theatre here ( Teatro Romano) it says that it is in Fiesole is this far from Florence and is it accessible by train or bus ?.

Regards
Sliema2
Does the book give you any other info...

I'm thinking it could be in the 'historical centre'.....'altrarno' which is over the river. Look at a map (if you have one) and this is south of the river. Altrarno means over the river arno.

Don't know if you're meaning a hotel here or what. We stayed in Holiday Inn Florence (not north), and it was nice, had a pool too. 10mins on the bus took us to the centre.

Great trip, and good prices. Actually you just spurred me on to check out flights!
Hi Lesley, I have found it thanks, it is in a place called Fiesole which is an archelogical area outside Florence, but many thanks for your interest.

Regards
Sliema2
We'd been looking at a weekend break in Cologne or Paris....but I think we're going to go to Viareggio now and visit Pisa! Got good flight prices, but still enquiring about hotels!
Hi Lesley, we were in Cologne two weeks ago it was very nice and well worth a visit.

Regards
Sliema2
Just throw a spanner into the works why don't you!

I've still not booked anything.

We could go to Viareggio for about £190 for 2 nights, in a 3* basic but nice looking hotel. Good idea to see it, want to see pisa, and we might like Viareggio for a summer holiday another time.

We could go to Cologne for about £235 staying in a Crowne Plaza (west of city, but looks central). It has an indoor pool too.

Never been to Germany, but spent 2 weeks in Italy last year (Rome/Florence/Rimini/Milan), then 2 nights in Rome just before xmas, 3 nights in Venice Previous year, 1 week in Rimini year before that........

Guess what I'm saying is that I love Italy....but maybe I should try Cologne....argh....I'm confused again! This is getting stressful!

I love Malta too by the way. Went to Sliema 2 years ago and would go back. Stayed in the Crowne Plaza and had fun! Loved Valetta too!
Cant say I like Pisa too much. I wish I had booked in to stay in FLorence for the week. However I have managed to visit Florence, Sienna, Lucca and Viareggio so far, so I am doing well so far. Tuscany has beatiful countryside, I wish I had time to visit San Gimignano but I am going back to the UK tomorrow. Thanks for all the help with my trip.
I've not been to Pisa, but love Florence. Glad you had a good time, and saw lots. Do update us on your return. I'm keen to hear about Viareggio.
Hi all, got back tonight. Got caught up in an ATC strike and after boarding the plane, we were taken back off and delayed for 4 hours. it was a rather sour end to a great week. We stayed in Pisa (100yds from the Tower) for the week and spent one day in Florence which was not nearly enough. We also visited Lucca, Sienna and Viareggio using trains and buses. The buses were great in that we got to see some of the countryside which was stunning. Viareggio is beautiful and clean and well worth spending a whole week there at the beach if you like the sun. On the down side, I think I tried to do too much........I have 'Duomo Fatigue'!!!! and after a while the works of art all resembled each other. When I go back, I will spend more time in Florence and visit San Gimignano. Thanks for all who helped in planning my trip.

Julie
Glad you had a great time. You're making me want to visit Italy again now. Won't be this year though, have too many other plans, but it's definitely on the list for future. Quite fancy Viareggio. Is there any nightlife?
Lesley, apparently there are a few massive clubs in Viaraggio that people come to from all over. It's a very classy place. The promenade is a whole street of designer shops selling extremely expensive clothes. The promenade is also packed with beautiful restaurants, coffee bars and ice cream parlours. Everything was so clean, I was amazed. If I were a 'beachy' person, but I am not, I would definately go there. It would be good for a base as you can reach almost anywhere by train or bus.

Julie
Just bringing this back from the dead.

We are looking to go to Florence in September but all the flights seem to go into Pisa. Is it far from Pisa airport to Florence?
We went from Pisa station to Florence and it was about an hour I think.
It is an hour from Pisa airport to Florence town centre by car.
A friend and I are thinking of going to Florence next year and Harriers9 has asked the question I needed the answer to, so thanks to chix1 I now know. :lol: Just one more please - is the station far from the airport at Pisa?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.