Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Pisa/Florence
50 Posts
Thanks so much for that, I'm sure it will come in very useful. My friend only mentioned last evening she wanted to go to Florence and it certainly won't be until next year, but I've started doing my homework and knew I could rely on HT members for good advice. :)
Hi aslemma.

The station is attached to the airport. As you come out it's on your left, can't miss it.

It cost us €14 for two (bargin!!) to get to Florence. Bit of a stopper but it's a nice, interesting trip. Takes around hour 15.

When you get into Florence you'll find the station slightly bigger. Just step outside and get your bearings first.

Where are you staying? Don't let it be at the Soggiorno Pitti

Pics of Flo here
Thanks for that Harriers. I have only just seen your reply as for some months now I haven't been receiving the e-mails from HT when replies are posted. .:roll:

At the moment the trip to Florence is only being thought of as a 'definite maybe' because it is my friend's idea and she doesn't like travelling alone (unlike me who's quite happy to do so). My main problem (apart from money of course) is time, as I'm already booked for Tunisia again in February and a weekend in May for a wedding and I also have friends in Cote d'Azur and Denmark who like me to visit. Although I'm retired I still invigilate exams in December and January and also May and June so fitting in more holidays takes a bit of juggling. Now I know how easy Florence will be, especially with flights from Stansted, it looks as though we will go for it, but we won't start to put it together until next year, when I'll no doubt come back here for more help and advice. :)
Aslemma, you really should make the effort to go to Florence with your friend. It's an amazing city full of wonderful surprises around every corner!
Alright Tishtosh, you've convinced me - it looks as if I'll have to start juggling. :lol:
Hello all haven't been able to log in for a while

anyway

Aslemma,

we have just returned from several days in Florence(actually and of August).

Flew into Pisa with BA, used two small pull-along suitcases so no checked in luggage(only going Tues-Fri). Walked straight from arrivals and bought the train tickets from the info office at the end of the airport nearest the train station. Through the doors and ten minutes later we were on our way.

Great journey seeing all the different scenery. We could have flown into Florence with Meridiana(Italian Ryanair I think) but I prefer BA. Would have missed the lovely countryside. 10Euros 60 for two tickets.

We stayed at a fantastic little b&b next to the Duomo. Top floor, six rooms, basic breakfast but when you are eating it on the terrace looking up at the Duomo who cares. Our check out time was 1100 but as our flight did not leave until 2250 the hotel had no problem letting us use the room(and the air-conditioning it was 40 degrees every day) until 5pm. With no added costs.

I will put a review on the hotel section this evening.

Florence is superb. We used to go to Paris every year as it was our favourite place. I think Florence has usurped it. Looking to go back as soon as possible. We have booked for Sorrento next April but will try and get to Florence before.

Any questions etc about Florence, food, getting around, dos and donts dont hesitate tio ask

ps, one tip is to double check which platform the train back to the airport is leaving Pisa from. The main board has a permanant notice stating platform 5 but at the time we left it went from platform 3, and when it stops at Pisa you need to get off and go to platform 14 where a shuttle train takes you to the airport.

Although the loop it covers from Pisa to the airport I did wonder if there was a walk between the two. We didn't realise we had to change, sat on the train for 20 minutes, when I thought about asking someone what time it left realised that there were notices stating change of trains required. Meant another hour wait for the next shuttle, nice evening though and meant an hour less at the airport.

Bill
Thanks for that Bill, it all sounds incredibly easy. When we get round to thinking about it seriuously next year I'll be sure to come back to you. I much prefer to book things independently rather than take a package, especially as I can usually find all the information I need on HT.
aslemma,

no problem. Florence is the type of city where everything seems to be in walking distance of everything else. You won't regret it.
ps. as for a package against independant booking. We paid £317 total through ba.com.

Bill
That sounds good to me Bill. :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.