Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Pisa
22 Posts
We too are travelling to Pisa courtesy of Ryanair 8th February but I have just found a site with all the opening hours for the main attractions and it appears that they don't open until March. Is that right. If so....help! What are we going to do?
We will be staying at The Hotel Della Spina, Via Alessandro
Gayle
I'm back after a day of walking Oh My FEET!!! ;)

The attractions are all open but some of them know how to charge
The Tower is €15 for all 300 steps no stopping until the top either so unless you're fit --don't bother
the other museums were around €5-8 each for admission

We noticed on our 25km trek around Pisa (twice) not everything open in the morning more open in the evening but even so not everything OK it's Sunday and January so we expected that.

The looky-looky /nice price boys are here everywhere and still do not understand the word NO! :que
Oh Yes still the same old rubbish too

Food found a little restaurant - the Santa Maria near the tower €8.50 for the tourist menu which was a three course meal of pasta for prima Chicken and Veal with Roast Potatoes for Main then a desert all washed down with a bottle of house red for €7.50
Even so when you added tax and service it only came to €28.40

Oh Yes something else the temperature was around 15 degrees and we had some SUNSHINE not the rain of last night
Thanks for that information. Was thinking of going up the tower but am now having second thoughts.
Are you planning a trip to Florence? Any info would be appreciated
Gayle
gayle01 wrote:
Thanks for that information. Was thinking of going up the tower but am now having second thoughts.
Are you planning a trip to Florence? Any info would be appreciated
Gayle

Firenze
train fare €5.60 return don't forget to validate the ticket on the platform (little yellow boxes)
train journey an hour and a quarter

We had even worse weather than Pisa so didn't stop long so we only found the
Florence catherdral -- similar to Pisa's but the tower is vertical ;)
Piazza Della Republicca --- the old market place
and the cheapest pizzeria in Firenze Casa Del Vin Santo :D cappocino €2.50
The new market -- Loggia del Porcellino with the bronze statue of the wild boar
Not forgetting the famous medieval bridge -- Ponte Vecchio

WE gave up being cold and wet
The shops we did see were :yikes :yikes for prices an example I saw was a pair of nice tan shoes very similar to some I own (£35 in Chesterfield) they were priced at €1250 and didn't even have a designer name but there were lots of designer shops even Steph was frightened to go in even to get warm
The weather was so bad that I didn't get any photographs of the tramway being built so far it looks like they've only just started and only 100m of double track are down but not filled in.

If you look on google Earth then follow the maps to our things seen then you can see how little we saw it needs a visit again but whether we can afford to go is another matter
forgot to add will try and get some photo's on Photobucket tonight will post link here
Hello Madcaravanner
I have just been looking at your photos and they are lovely.
we are flying to Pisa on Saturday and have rented an apartment in San Gimignano for a week, we intend to go to Florence and Siena as well while we are there.

Lesley
McBabe wrote:
Hello Madcaravanner
I have just been looking at your photos and they are lovely.
we are flying to Pisa on Saturday and have rented an apartment in San Gimignano for a week, we intend to go to Florence and Siena as well while we are there.

Lesley

We needed more time when we went to Firenze but the train was definitely the way to go even though it took an hour
the tram might be running in Firenze too

We were recommended to go to Massa but haven't had chance to research it
at least you'll be warmer than we were in January

Have a geat time
Mcbabe, head to Certaldo that'll be near you and you can get cheap trains to Siena or Florence...
Thanks, I've not heard of Massa or Certaldo but I will look them up.
I have looked on google earth and can see Certaldo is on the train line between Florence and Siena so thanks for that, we can drive to Certaldo

I do intend going by train even though we have a car for the week.

I was thinking of going up the tower of Pisa too but will give it a miss after what you said, I like to go at my own pace and not have someone coming up behind me, we had that when we were in Stirling going up the Wallace monument, there was no stopping on the way up and I was shatterted.

6 days to go
We stayed in Certaldo in January when we were doing a recce trip for our wedding next week and even though we had a car we used the train. It is much easier as Florence has the central charging zones and its just not worth taking the car near the place. The trains at Certaldo are fairly regular...

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c79686605528a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

This will give you an idea of train times....

Sounds like you leave about the same time as us. We leave on Saturday from Edinburgh to Pisa... ;)
Oh, thank you for that

We fly from Leeds Bradford to Pisa at 7am

how romantic to be getting married in Italy, hope you have a lovely day, my nephew got married in Sicily and the photos were wonderful.
Thanks Mcbabe, we're getting married in Siena next Wednesday...
ellieeh wrote:
Thanks Mcbabe, we're getting married in Siena next Wednesday...

Congrats folks
hope everything is great for you :D
Thankyou MC, we'll be staying in Tuscany for the first week and then onto Le Marche for our mini moon as it were...
Wednesday was a glorious day in San Gimignano so hoping it was the same in Siena for the wedding

Tuscany is absolutely beautiful
McBabe wrote:
Wednesday was a glorious day in San Gimignano so hoping it was the same in Siena for the wedding

Tuscany is absolutely beautiful

Fingers crossed for you it's absolutely terrible back here in the UK
McBabe it was glorious in the morning and early afternoon, it did go overcast when we were travelling to Siena but brightened up a bit later on....We had a lovely day though and it was everything we had wished for... :)

We were slightly disappointed with the weather in Italy, in the first week we two days where the first day it was raining on and off with storms and the second day was such heavy rain and very cold and damp we had to buy jumpers and umbrellas.....we had one day in that first week that was good....The second week in Le Marche for our mini moon again was a mixed bag but at least we had 3 days when it was very good but the other days it was a case of sitting there with cardigans and jumpers on...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.