Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi dxc338,

Probably not going to be much help here but ......

Having previously stayed at El Dorado seaside Suites and Secrets Maroma in RM we are returning in June ... staying at the Valentin Imperial Maya .... all adult only and like GBP pretty remote, although the latter is about 15/20 min from Playa.

Although we have never been to Cancun, it is my understanding that it is for the younger cliental (stand corrected if I'm wrong) and is full of bars/night clubs?

Only time that we have been to Playa Del Carmen was to pick up/drop people off on a day trip from Akumal, and from what I did see of the town, there seemed to be plenty of bars/restaurants within the town. However, I believe it would depend on which hotel you were staying in as to whether you would be local to the bars/nightlife etc .....

We did consider Playa Del Carmen for our trip in June as I believe the beach are beautiful there, but couldn't agree on an adult only hotel to accommodate hubby and myself and our 21 year old son and his girlfriend, hence decided on the VIM.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help:-(
Hi Pat hope you are well I think we talked last time :)

I think we will go riveria again but it's such an expense for everyone I don't want to be the person that says go there and you never can please everyone :)

I think having a nice beach with snorkelling on it is more important than bars. Thanks
Hi dxc,

I'm fine thank you:-)

I understand ... going with a large group is going to be difficult to please everybody, and there will always be one that won't happy lol!

Not sure what you budget is but Secrets Maroma Beach is a very nice hotel with a fabulous beach, but it is quite pricey. However, the Catalonia Playa Maroma is right next to SMB ... not sure what the reviews are like, but I think it is a mid range hotel, and if beach is more important might be worth a look? If looking for more bar/nightlife, Playa Del Carmen is about 20 min away by taxi.

Regards,
Pat
Hi I have been to Mexico twice last year first in February to Cancun which I loved and would go back in a heart beat and again in September to Playacar which was OK but I would not return. For me my experience was Cancun was for everyone of all ages, I don't consider myself old (54) but no teenager either and there was lots to do for all ages. Of course there were nightclubs for the young (and young at heart), but they didn't interest me, and went to places that did.

Probably not too much help to the OP but thought I would offer my experience - hope you enjoy it wherever you decide
Just to sum up from our own experiences
Cancun –
Spread out with many hotels in the hotel zone which is on a peninsular extending for 20+ miles, there are regular cheap buses running backward and forward 24 hours.
Nightlife is either in the city itself (not on the peninsular) or there are clubs and bars in a central area as well as shopping malls in different areas

Playacar –
Is a hotel area located about 2-3 miles away from the town of Playa Del Carmen (see below), most of the main hotel chains Riu,Iberostar Reef etc are located here. Beaches in this area are superb
It’s a 5 minutes taxi drive to Playa Del Carmen (or walkable if you feel energetic)

Playa Del Carmen –
5th avenue runs for a mile or so and has many shops, bars clubs and restaurants either on it or a few minutes’ walk of it.
In Playa you can get a ferry over to the nearby island of Cozumel where there are shops and bars etc, this is where the cruise ships dock.
I believe some of the best snorkelling is on Cozumel both from shore and boat

We are off next week to the Pacific coast area of Vallarta in Mexico, as we fancy a change from the Caribbean side
Hope this info is some use to you
RG
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.