Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
definately Playa Blanca more upmarket nice and relaxed lovely walks weve been going twice a year for past 4 years. After seeing others resorts definately in our opinion Playa Blanca the best
I think that I agree with the above.
No idea re play parks etc but guess with a 3 year old you will be using a buggy etc and P.del Carmen is quite hilly in places
Can't argue with the previous 2 posters, but be aware that Playa Blanca is very quiet in November. We spent 2 successive November months there and have returned to P Del C simply because PB was so quiet after 9pm at night. So if you are looking for a stroll along the prom, a drink and watch the world go by then not PB.
In both resorts you will struggle to find a private villa with pool anywhere close to town.
Thank you for all your advice.

I was swaying towards Playa Blanca, until that last post - about it being quiet in November. I hadn't even considered this. As it's in the Canaries, I just assumed it would be an all-year kinda place, like Tenerife for example which I've been to in November. It's not that I want a mad, busy, crazy place. But I don't want it too quiet either. We won't be out mega late (not with a toddler anyway!) but do like a good vibe, and atmosphere. Now wondering whether Puerto del Carmen will in fact be the better option. Is it much more busier there?

Thanks
:D Jayne :D
Yes, P Del C is very much busier and livelier than PB during the winter. The prime reason why we have returned to P Del C for our regular Nov stay. We very much prefer the beach at PB and the quiet village atmosphere during the day (and usually make several day trips there) but overall prefer P Del C simply for its lively atmosphere in the evening. My summary on PB is that after 9pm, in Nov, you could hear a pin drop, in fact if you dropped a pin someone would call the police to report a disturbance. In contrast in P Del C if we have been eating in the apt we often go out for a walk around 9pm, browse the shops on the front line and stop somewhere for a drink. Always busy, more shops, more bars and restaurants and more people. Depends what you are looking for.
Lots of really helpful info in that post, thank you. You've definitely given me food for thought. Out of curiosity, how far away from each other are these two resorts? Perhaps we could stay in P del C, and then visit Playa Blanca for a day? I've heard that being further south, PB is much warmer. Is this likely to affect our stay in November much, as I'd still hope to be able to use the pool if we do decide to stay in P del C.

Sorry for lots of questions!
There is a regular hourly bus service between PDC and PB, bus takes around 45 mins and costs (Nov 2013) around 4.90 Euros pp return. Not a big difference in winter climate between the two, can vary by the day. Sometimes when it's bright and sunny in PDC you can see the rain clouds hanging over PB, and vice-versa. Lanzarote is subject to pretty constant wind off of Africa in the winter so the main beach at PDC is usually wind swept, whereas the PB beaches are a little more sheltered. That wind can vary from being pleasingly cool on hot days to chilly on dull days. It also brings with it rain, so expect the occasional downpour lasting up to an hour. Having said that I usually spend the month in shorts, t-shirt and sun-hat, putting on a light pullover when necessary and use the occasional umbrella. The sea is cold, but once you are over the initial shock swimming even in Dec can be very pleasant.
PDC is busier, brasher and a more touristy resort than PB so it really depends on what you want. I've been to PB most months of the year over the last 20+years and have never found it particularly quiet after 9pm. There is always people around and bars and restaurants open where you can sit and people watch at that time. After 11pm, yes it does go quiet, but it tends to do that in the summer as well, with the exception of the 2 commercial centres. It really depends on how late you're going to be out with a young child.

PB does have it's own micro climate and tends to be a degree or two warmer than the rest of the island, but you would need to ensure the pool is heated as the sea will be warmer at that time of the year, depending on the weather.

If you want a private villa with pool close to town in PB, look on Los Calamares. You'll not get much closer. 5 mins walk to the promenade. We stay on there every visit. All the restaurants on the island I've ever been in have always been child friendly. The Spanish adore kids. There is a great place in PB called Kikoland, which is attached to the Princesa Yaiza hotel, but is open to the public for a fee. They have all sorts of activities for children of all ages. There's also a kids playground on the main road, next to the church.

The bus timetable between PB and PDC is in this link. http://tinyurl.com/pn4vu9o
Sunaddict wrote:
... I've been to PB most months of the year over the last 20+years and have never found it particularly quiet after 9pm...

I guess the two years, 2010/11, that we spent there, mid-Nov to mid-Dec, must have been exceptional then as I completely stand by my comments on the state of play after 9pm. Walking thru the pedestrianised commercial centre by the harbour the shops were closing up and we were pretty much alone. We had typically just left a restaurant where we were one of only several occupied tables.
Thank you once again for all your help and advice.

I'm still looking for a villa, and have come to realise that it is more important to me that the villa is suitable for my toddler (main thing being a shallow end to the pool) so rather than base my decision on location, I'm going for the most child friendly place I can find.

So that brings me to my question, I've found two lovely looking villas - both child friendly, but they are in Matagorda. Opinions? I've heard this is a quiet area, but perhaps close enough to walk into the main resort for shops, restaurants and bars? Anyone know this place, or have any advice?

Thank you again
Matagorda is way out on the edge of the PDC resort area near the airport...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@28.9300327,-13.6302995,16z

...the centre is around that hotel Los Jameos Playa. There is a stretch of small shops, bars and restaurants, but otherwise it is a fairly large development of apartments and villas. Nice beach in front of the hotel and a long stretch of good beach, Playa Los Pocillos, between Matagorda and PDC proper. We often walk out there from the old town area of PDC and it takes about 30 mins to the Los Pocillos beach and then another 15 mins to the Matagorda beach. So around 45 mins walk at a brisk pace from PDC centre. Walking back to PDC it would be around 25 mins to the start of the PDC "strip" of shops, bars, restaurants. There is a regular bus service back and forth. The area is nice and always fairly quiet, laid back, peaceful, child-friendly, even during the day. You're fairly close to the incoming/outgoing flightpath so there is some occasional low level noise from planes. We have stayed at the Playa Los Pocillos area twice in the past and enjoyed it during the day, but always found ourselves walking into PDC in the evening for the better choice of restaurants. We have friends who are keen walkers and they prefer Matagorda to anywhere else around PDC, but then that's for the walking.
I wouldn't call the Jameos Playa as the centre of Matagorda, that is the start of it. The commercial centre near the Beatriz Playa is more the centre of Matagorda. I like the area, but it is a long walk into PDC from there, rather more than 45 minutes, I would suggest.
Pollensa1946 wrote:
Sunaddict wrote:
... I've been to PB most months of the year over the last 20+years and have never found it particularly quiet after 9pm...

I guess the two years, 2010/11, that we spent there, mid-Nov to mid-Dec, must have been exceptional then as I completely stand by my comments on the state of play after 9pm. Walking thru the pedestrianised commercial centre by the harbour the shops were closing up and we were pretty much alone. We had typically just left a restaurant where we were one of only several occupied tables.

Beginning to mid December are the quietest two weeks and then Xmas holidaymakers start arriving. I'm only posting my experience. I don't think either of us are right or wrong, just that the numbers of people on holiday at any given time vary from year to year.
madsue wrote:
...it is a long walk into PDC from there, rather more than 45 minutes, I would suggest.

Yes, I did say "...to the Matagorda beach. So around 45 mins walk at a brisk pace from PDC centre"
If you were pushing a buggy at a leisurely pace then it could well take you twice that, and if further out than Los Jameos then add more. However, with the new developments, shops and restaurants, on the newly improved PDC front-line then perhaps a trip to the central harbour area at PDC is not often necessary.
Sunaddict wrote:
...Beginning to mid December are the quietest two weeks and then Xmas holidaymakers start arriving. I'm only posting my experience. I don't think either of us are right or wrong, just that the numbers of people on holiday at any given time vary from year to year.

The OP stated they were going end-Nov so I simply provided my experience for that specific period. We've been going to Lanzarote at various times every year since 1997 and yes I agree the degree to which it is busy or quiet varies widely by the month. Although we now no longer stay in PB, we visit several times during our Nov/Dec stay in PDC, often staying for an evening meal. Not seen anything in recent years that changes my expressed opinion on how quiet it is of an evening. That's not to deny it's a very nice resort.
Hey everyone

Just thought I'd update, finally found a villa in Playa Blanca. Went with that one because it offered exactly what we were looking for in regards to a child's splash pool within the main pool, and lots of other child friendly features. At the end of the day, that was more important than which resort we picked. If PB is quiet, I'm sure we'll be fine and make our own fun anyway!

Thanks for all your help :tup
I'm sure you will have a great time , I've always found Playa Blanca a very relaxing place , to me it seems to be a place where you can do as much or as little as you want , I tend to do little !!
Just back from PB and the place was heaving.
When we were there the end of June it was very busy too compared to experience in previous years , my sister and her partner came with us this year and really loved the resort and the villa we had , so I have booked a week away for June 2016 with a villa deposit done already , for all 4 of us , and just last night I booked flights for a 9 night break there next September (just me and wife ) as they were a great price and we really like the resort .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.