Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Thanks Brian, have a really early flight so thought I might give an airport hotel a chance this time. Must admit haven't done this for about 15 years, so am on two minds about it and is why I was asking for a recommendation.

I will keep cophall farm in mind though incase I can't get anything suitable at a price I like. Not sure but think I might have parked there myself years ago.

Seem to be going from the North Terminal this year whereas normally go from south and have been using the on-site parking there so we don't have to give up our car keys.

Cheers, Doe
you leave your keys at cophall but its a secure site, fenced,gated and barriered with cctv
I can highly recommend the premier iinn, haven't parked at Gatwick for years though.
We booked Days hotel+parking for 8 days at Gatwick double/twin beddded room with Groupon they have some good deals you can join straight away cost us £59...www.groupon.com.
Have never used airport hotels,but we always use Cophall parking and have never had a problem..touch wood!!!! :cheers
doe wrote:
As in the title really. Only 7 nights parking needed and would prefer it if the car wasn't moved although don't know if that is possible with hotel parking?

We need two double or twin rooms. Would be happy to consider any chain hotels, Hilton etc provided not mega expensive, also would like it to be close to the airport.

Thank you.

Doe :sun2

Yes it is possible to park your car and it not be moved .

Closest and most convenient to the airport is , Hilton at the south and Sofitel at the north , both connected by covered walkways , there is also a new massive Premier Inn at the north next to the sofitel .

I always book my airport hotels through holidayextras through a cash back site , but booking directly with the hotel is also worth it sometimes . For instance at the moment Hilton has a super summer saver rate at £83 per night , also parking packages are listed for up to 9 days and 16 days , that are on the long stay on site car parks or the Red car park which is one of the multi storey car parks with direct access to the terminal .

It all depends if you want to stay overnight at a hotel before flying out , if you have an early ish flight , or are worried about the traffic on the m25 ( which has roadworks between jct 5 and 7 ) or just want to feel relaxed and in holiday mode , then in my opinion booking an airport hotel is a good idea , I personally want a quick connection and convenience , so I wouldn't stay at a hotel 10 mins transfer away to save £20 on the room rate .

If you want to get the cheapest package then book parking at somewhere like cop hall , £50 quid for the week and a bit of a transfer there and back , if you really want to stay overnight for the variety of reasons listed above , search for the best priced package that includes an airport hotel with on site parking included .
I'm not sure what dates you are looking at but Hilton do have this deal on their website http://www.hilton.com. Which is £83 for a double or twin and I think the airport parking included was £149 , so total cost would be £232 .for the 2 rooms you require plus on site parking .
If you're departing from the NT it's no problem as the transit is 2 mins .
Wow thank you or all the replys folks, wish there was a 'thanks button'. Will take all the comments on board.

Must admitt that getting up at 3.15 am nearly killed me last year for a 7am flight, couldn't sleep at all that night.

I was actually ill :cry on the first day of my holiday and couldn't go out that evening which impacted on the others, think it was due to the no sleep the night before thing. :( That is why I am thinking about an airport hotel/parking deal for once.

Will have a mess about on holiday extras site, they keep sending me emails for 10% off which seem genuine.

I'm going on a BA flight Andy and I think they go from North Terminal, i'll check out the Hilton for our dates.

Doe :sun2o
Hi Doe , yes all BA flights go from NT zone A , I also get that holiday extras email with 10% off , and it does work and is genuine , I also looked at the new premier inn at the NT They have a super saver rate of £45 for most nights , they also do a fly/stay/park package , they have a car park underneath the hotel and the car parking is handled by Gatwick Airport , the website doesn't really give a lot of info about the parking , perhaps a phone call would be better , I think you could get 2 rooms and parking for about £135 total , and it is literally on the drop off road at the NT , 2 min walk and you'll be at the checkin desk .
http://www.premierinn.com. And click on the fly/ park/ stay near the bottom of the home page

You could always then checkin the night before and bag drop !!!
Just security to go through and if the missus is in that day , she can give you one of those early morning welcomes , she gets up at 1 am and is at work around 3.15am

It's called sleep/park /fly. £89 for one room and up to 8 nights parking , then book 2nd room at £45 , there are places to eat the night before in the terminal and also M&S to get drinks and snacks if needed
Thanks Andy, that's some brilliant information there. I have replied to your pm and been cheeky and asked for a recommendations on places to eat.

I was reading reviews on holiday extras of the Sofitel and the food was getting a right slating, on top of the £200 plus for a room and 8 nights parking the evening meals were mega expensive for v poor quality food.

Some of the people who obviously travel a lot and use airport hotels a lot were suggesting going into the airport to have your evening meal, like you have mentioned.

Two things that stuck in my mind ( and would stick in my throat if I had payed for them) were £5.70 for a small bottle of sparkling water and a small white wine spritzer at £9.50 :yikes soda water must be dear in Crawley.
Hi, the Sofitel is the nicest hotel , very comfortable rooms and we were there in March , it was very handy if flying BA from the NT , we haven't eaten there and usually go for a meal in the terminal we go to Joe's Kitchen and have had perfectly good food , it is joined to the Globe which is a Wetherspoons pub setting , I would say it is reasonable food at reasonable prices , you can also go over on the transit to the south and there is Giraffe and the Beehive (Wetherspoons pub) where we have also eaten , again perfectly happy with the food and prices .
Regards the sofitel , the restaurant is open plan in the main foyer area and was very busy , it looks expensive to me and not that great a setting , we have had drinks in the bar and the service and atmosphere there was good , certainly not cheap though .
We always buy some snacks and drinks (alcohol available ) from M&S and just relax in the room and get off to bed early .
Sadly there is not much choice in the airport now before security , plenty of choice airside !!! I was really upset and annoyed when Frankie and Bennys went .
With the big premier inn now at the NT and another hotel being built , I think it's a Hilton group hotel ( Doubletree) they could do with expanding the food offering in the terminal before security .

At £9.50 for a spritzer I think they are forgetting they're in Sussex not Surrey ;)
Recently stayed at the Copthorne Gatwick for the night before a flight and 16 days parking;negotiated a much cheaper rate direct with the hotel than was available at the time thru Holidayextras -got the stay for £90- They did say that they required the keys in case they had to move the car but it was actually still where I left it on return.
Also I've noticed that if you leave it til the last minute to book (provided its not during school holiday times!!) the prices on Holidayextras site come way down. :tup
If you stay in one of the hotels attached to the airport just take a stroll into departures for a meal, cheaper than the hotel :tup
we always use a hotel just outside the airport and use their short minibus ride into the airport. works out a lot cheaper than on airport hotels.
russ hill hotel was good and we also liked the worth hotel which is situated near local village so could pop out for pub meal.
Thanks again folks. I am limbering up to book something, Will probably make a final decision tomorrow when I have spoken to some of the others involved. Whatever we do, don't think we will be eating in an airport hotel restaurant sounds like they are taking advantage of their captive audience.

Was just looking on the James Villas site and they give all the options on there for airport parking and airport hotels so people book at the same time as they book their villas, but looking into it further it seems they were just booking through holiday extras as well.

We have booked the Premier Inn North Terminal, able to bag drop the night before and park the car in the car park (included in the price). They also offer meal deals at the time of booking but we have decided to eat elsewhere.
brewerdave wrote:
Recently stayed at the Copthorne Gatwick for the night before a flight and 16 days parking;negotiated a much cheaper rate direct with the hotel than was available at the time thru Holidayextras -got the stay for £90- They did say that they required the keys in case they had to move the car but it was actually still where I left it on return.
Also I've noticed that if you leave it til the last minute to book (provided its not during school holiday times!!) the prices on Holidayextras site come way down. :tup

Dave,

Unfortunately it's in the school holidays so don't think I can take a chance. But just wanted to say thank you for posting and hopefully the information might help someone else.

That sounds like a brilliant deal you negotiated there, just goes to show what can be done if you have a mind to it, you must have been pleased with that. :tup

We used the Premier Inn Gatwick North terminal with parking included at the car park opposite. I have to say it was simple and easy. We parked in the car park the night before (included in the price) checked our suitcases in before checking in at the Premier Inn. The next morning after putting our overnight bags in the car we moved the car to the valet parking area. Very quick check in procedure and received our instructions for collection (in car park 6). We can a good nights stay at the Premier Inn (ate at Giraffe, South Terminal). I found the whole experience excellent and it cost us £119.00 for 15 nights parking + 1 night before and our family room at the Premier Inn. I went via a cashback site and got another £6.00 back! I have already booked for next year at £109.00 for 15 nights parking and hotel room. We took a note of the mileage when we booked the car in and the mileage increased by under 4 miles (as they move the cars to secure parking).

The onsite hotel and parking saves all the hassle of transfers and despite being a critical person!! I could not fault the price or service.

Looking forward to the dreamliner to Mexico next year!
Hi Neavsie , good to hear you everything went well and the experience was worthwhile , even looking at it from a critical point of view ;) !! Certainly useful to do if you have an early flight and can also do twilight checkin etc , I think using an onsite hotel is beneficial if you want to cut out the to-ing and fro-ing , and the choice is growing with Doubletree due to open at the North .
Very good price when you take into account the parking too .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.