EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
The plus valia tax you mention is the equivalent of an English tax called CAPITAL GAINS TAX. That is because the value of the investment - in your case the nursing home in Germany that belongs to your father that he intends to give you as a gift - has risen in value from the time that he bought it to the current value on which it is assessed. It is this difference in price that you pay tax on - ie this 16%.

Please note that family gifts are subject, certainly in the UK and also in France where I live, to a fixed amount. They cannot be unlimited in value. EITHER you can gift a sum to a child as an amount every year for seven years (or so it used to be) up to a maximum sum OR you can gift a sum as a one-off lifetime amount, which cannot be added to in the future. There was a time when the yearly sum was £3000 and the lifetime gift was £20000. Up to these limits the gifts were tax free. Over these limits - you will need to check the exact amounts these days with the Tax Office - tax was payable.

As I said, I think that the tax you (or he) will be liable is CAPITAL GAINS TAX and this applies all over the world, but the amounts involved and the rate of tax will vary country by country. You will need to find out in which country the tax is liable and to where it has to be paid. Please take professional advice. I am NOT a professional, but I hope that this post will help you to find out the legal and correct details also the procedure for receiving his very generous gift.
Hiya thanks! :)

Yes we will take professional advice but since this is a 3 State matter it's complicated to find one. We have a shortlist, but I wanted to get an angle.

It seems there is a CGT exemption or transference into the next generation in Spain.

w w w. homesoverseas. co. uk/ articles /Spain_-_Capital_Gains_Tax/5117-1002

For family companies (and the definitions are very tight), it is possible to pass the asset to the next generation without paying capital gains tax, but it is simply deferred (or rolled-over) into the cost base of the next generations.

I have yet to find out the exact law and the terms though .. and if it then applies over State borders and if EU laws have any impact on this.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.