Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Hi Blister, here is their website if you haven't already seen it showing meal times and facilities:-

https://hotelcostaportals.com/en/

It does mention live entertainment, but also appears to be an adult only, quite relaxing hotel from what it's saying.
Been looking at this one too; it's 16+, so no little kiddies, is some 500m from the beach (downhill), and about twice that from the village (uphill). It appears to be in a residential area, so not a huge lot around it, and the entertainment seems to be only 2 or 3 nights a week. Oh, and it's only got a small pool.
All of that said, it does get consistently good reviews, and a decent number of repeat visitors, so it can't be all bad...
I went to the portals nous 30 years ago a stayed at the hotel next door which was great. Loved the area but i was only 12. It all looks built up but the quiet little bay looks the same. Just trying to get as much information from people, about the hotel and the area its better than looking at web pages. Many thank for your information if you book hope you have a good time. If you go before me please send me information about your holiday, this would be great.
Just come back from 3 nights at the Costa Portals - will post a review when I can.
I spent 3 nights in Portals Nous in Majorca in May 2015 with 3 friends. Here follows an account of our trip:

The Journey

We flew direct from East Midlands to Palma with Jet2. Our original plane developed a mechanical fault before take-off and we were very concerned that our holiday would be cancelled! Luckily Jet2 had a spare plane available and we only took off 2 hrs behind schedule. There were no problems with the return flight. The transfer from the airport to our hotel was very short and we were the first drop off on arrival and the penultimate pick up on our return.

The Weather

We were unsure as to how warm Majorca would be in early May but hoped it would at least be fairly dry. Luckily for us it was warm and sunny for the whole time with temperatures in the high 20s during the day, but it did get a lot cooler at night so we definitely needed our jackets when we went out for dinner.
Accommodation – Hotel RD Costa Portals - https://hotelcostaportals.com/en/

As we were only going away for 3 nights, we wanted a hotel that was close to the airport with a short transfer time. We also wanted somewhere that was Adults Only but wasn’t too expensive. After a bit of research we decided to give the Costa Portals a try as it seemed to tick all our boxes. To be honest, we weren’t really expecting much from the hotel, so we were more than pleasantly surprised to see how good it was. We had booked two rooms with sea view and terrace and were hoping for balconies with good views of the sea. It turned out that our rooms actually had very large balconies with our own sunbeds, which was great when we couldn’t or didn’t want to sit by the pool. The two rooms we had were slightly different – the room I was in was near the lift and had a very good shower in the recently refurbished bathroom. My friends’ room was slightly bigger with a bath but the bathroom needed some updating. Both rooms were on the first floor, not far from the bar. Any entertainment finished at 11pm though so we had no major problems with noise, but light sleepers would do well to take earplugs.

The cost of safe hire and towel hire was reasonable but we were surprised to see that you had to pay for wi-fi. We didn’t end up using it so I can’t comment on how good the connection was. There were a few issues in regards to the number of sunbeds available and I do think that the hotel would do well to buy a few more, but there were a number of deckchairs available as well as seating by the bar so it wasn’t a big issue for us. I’m afraid we did take part in the traditional practice of sunbed reserving, but we did only have 2 full days there and wanted to make the most of our time. The nearest beach is only 5 mins walk away and has sunbeds as well so there are other alternatives if the pool is busy. I would definitely recommend paying for the terrace rooms if you want guaranteed sunbeds though.

As this is a 3 star hotel, we weren’t really expecting much from the food. We chose to stay on a bed and breakfast basis as it looked like there were quite a lot of nice restaurants nearby. We thought breakfast was pretty good with a selection of hot and cold options – none of us left hungry. We had the 9 euro lunch buffet on the day we arrived and then had pool bar snacks on our last day and though both were good value, although the hot dogs were not as nice as the breakfast sausages. We only bought soft drinks at the bar but the prices seemed reasonable – the nearest convenience store is down the bottom of the hill by the beach. A number of the other guests appeared to be on an All-Inclusive basis but we were glad we had picked B&B only.

The staff were all pleasant and friendly and the rooms were cleaned promptly every day. We liked the fact that the hotel is located in a mainly residential area and didn’t find the noise from the nearby hotel construction particularly intrusive. We also liked the fact that it was only 10 mins walk to the village centre of Portals Nous or a slightly further walk to the Marina. All in all, we really liked this hotel and would definitely consider going back.
Bars & Restaurants

Villa Ampurdan - http://www.hostalvillaampurdan.com

We picked Villa Ampurdan for our first night in Majorca as it was just up the road from where we were staying (Hotel Costa Portals) and we thought we’d go for somewhere local for our first night. We were expecting it to be nice, but it still far exceeded our expectations. We were lucky that the weather was good so we were able to sit outside for the whole evening (and didn’t get bitten at all). I really can’t say enough good things about the food here – two of us thought that our steaks were pretty much the best we’d ever had and the portion sizes of both the starters and main courses were huge. We definitely didn’t go away hungry! The sangria was also excellent and we got through quite a few jugs. We enjoyed our meals so much that we ended up going back the following night as well, and the food was just as good. If we ever go back to the Costa Portals then we will definitely be eating at the Villa Ampurdan again!

Chameli’s - http://www.restaurantechamelis.com/en

We picked Chameli’s because it was a short walk from our hotel (Hotel Costa Portals) and had good reviews. We had booked a table and were seated promptly when we arrived, at a window table. The menu was absolutely huge and it took us ages to decide what to have. It turned out that the portions were huge as well, which was great as everything tasted so good. The whitebait, suckling pig and Chicken supreme were particular highlights, as were the puddings. The service was also excellent. We would definitely go back.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.