Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
It's standard practice where a low deposit is paid to have to pay the full deposit if you cancel. It does state in their terms that if you have paid a low deposit you will be notified when the remainder of the deposit is due. It seems like they don't bother to request the rest of the deposit prior to the balance due date of 8 weeks prior to travel.

I think your best bet is to swap the holiday for a cheaper one and pay the charges applicable for doing that.

Sorry I can't be more positive!
Thanks
I thought this may be the case :cry:
I will have to hope then that they let us change the holiday because they do state in the brochure that they may treat it as a cancellation if it is a cheaper holiday.

They told my friend when she eventually got through last eve that they wouldn't accept her cancellation until she paid the remaining £120 pp can they do that? As time goes on obviously it will cost more the nearer she gets to the holiday date.
One other thing as a matter of interest where did you see that it stated the full deposit would be required for cancellation? Thanks as I cannot see it in the brochure.
From their website:

http://www.portlandholidays.co.uk/agreement.asp

If you pay less than the deposit under a low deposit booking scheme, this is only part of the deposit referred to in this paragraph.

and

Where the standard deposit is increased to secure specific facilities or an additional payment has been made for transport tickets (see Section 10 and 11.3 above) and these are non-refundable in whole or in part, then the scale of charges shown will be calculated based on a % of the cost of all other arrangements and the non-refundable charges will be added to that cancellation charge to give the total charge. If a low deposit scheme was used for your booking, the deposit will need to be paid in full upon cancellation, if you have not already paid it. Our Accommodation is non-refundable in whole or in part.

Mark :D
Low deposit schemes are a means of booking a holiday whilst not being able to afford the standard/full deposit at the time.

To be fair to the TO they cannot be expected to just cancel and not ask for the balance of the deposit. We would all finish up paying a lot more money for our holidays if they did not get payed. Everyone would book half a dozen holidays and decide at the last minute which they were going to take. Total chaos would reign.

In your case I would ask them the question. I appreciate your circumstances have changed since you made the booking and you are trying to salvage something at a reasonable cost.

I know that many people complain about the TOs - sometimes with just cause - but how can they help you if you do not give them the chance. Explain your problem and see what they say. You will not be the first person to do so.

You just might get a pleasant surprise.

fwh
Just to update you, I have finally got through and a helpful man called Paul has informed me that we can change our holiday for £35 each as long as we stay with the same date otherwise it would be £70.

Excellent news I think. Only annoying thing with different people phoning was that we were told conflicting things.
Whenever we have paid a low deposit with Portland we have been given the date to pay the balance of the deposit. However I don't think that you are sent a reminder of when this needs paying.You need to remember yourself. I don't know why they don't remind you. Most people have loads going on in their lives and it can easily be overlooked. I used to write the date on the calendar. I understood that if you cancelled you woud be liable for the whole deposit. So best change the booking for an alternative.
Thanks I appreciate the TO side on this I just wanted to know my options really as as we couldn't get through to them, we were all getting anxious. My friend was told something different to me when she got through on the phone.

Anyway as we have decided to change our holiday and looking at Gran Canaria instead for a week so all is not lost at least we will still get away and husbands back is recovering. Now all I need to do is get through on the phone to change it :roll:
Could I suggest that you write a letter confirming your telephone conversation and setting out the details.

Send it by Recorded Delivery and request written confirmation from them. Point out the problems you are having contacting by telephone.

Will save you lots of time and frustration and ensures that the details are accurate.

Glad to hear you have got a positive result. Enjoy your holiday.

fwh
Thanks
I am going to ask for written confirmation as soon as we have made a decision (this weekend) on where we are going - 3 choices at the moment. That's the trouble having older children they want their say :roll:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.