Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Tazz, are you an angler or do you just fancy a bit of fishing while your away.The reason I am asking is because there are places you can fish (Morjim beach, Baga River/Creek & a Few Quiet Beaches) You can catch mainly catfish, the odd snapper and a few other varieties. The most important thing is to find out the tide times which are printed in the local papers.Buying bait is not a problem as you can get prawns,sardines,squid ect for pennies from a few places ( We use the fish market in Calangute) If you want to reply with any questions I will try and help as best I can....cheers Keith
Hi, i dont know if this will help you, but a good few years ago my dad went fishing with a few other people on a boat, they provided the fishing rods, and the cost was only a couple of hundred ruppees each.
Amigos by Nerul bridge run a number of different fishing trips.
Price depends on what you do & how many go.
The also do a crabbing trip, go out in the morning for about 2-3 hours, you then eat the crabs you catch after they have prepared them. Great day out. If you don't catch any crabs you don't pay.
Here`s a few hints and tips for shore fishing in Goa, never got round to taking my gear :( ask in the shacks in Morjim and Vagator and they will usually offer to take you with them for an hour or 2 and lend you some gear.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23964
Tazz, i went fishing with my son (little dunk ) in dec, it was arranged at claudinas shack at condolim an excellent experience i caught a baby shark (photos to follow ) just ask for antony he'l sort you out
cheers to all who have answered will look into what you have all said when i get there cant wait 10 days to go :cheers
thx again for your replys and will hopefully get fishing with all the advice given
Hi

John's Boat Tours does fishing trips. Not sure how much of a professional you are but by the sounds of it their fishing trips are a short-and-sweet excursion. Details are on their website.
hiya tazz,
if your going to goa i'd highly recommend staying in candolim.i stayed there with a few mates for a fortnight in december2008 and navigated the whole of goa on a scooter!!.check out francisco's shack on the beach. he's about 3-4 shacks to the left at the bottom of the main beach road.a good family run business who'll look after you,whatever you want.!? he'll get you scooters for 1000rps/week. as regards fishing, they arranged for there mate dominic to take us trolling. good kit/rods and lures provided and he'll pack beers on ice at an extra charge. he charged us 1200rps each for a 4 hour trip. that seemed a bit much to me, but when we saw what tiddlers nearby boats where catching we all came away happy. we lost a few lures which weren't cheap,(provided to him by an english mate at english prices)and we weren't charged for any losses.we caught a couple of groupers,1@6-7lb,and a beauty @20lb+. a huge barrcuda got off!!!! we took both fish back to the beach shack and got francisco's dad martin to cook 'em up on the barbi. fantastic!.
i'm taking my mrs back out there in a months time.tell me how you get on. i'm gonna take a beach caster and some kit this time.oh by the way,when you stand on candolim beach,to the left there is some interesting surfy rock marks around the cove.you can't see them from the beach, they are round the corner close to the prison.locals where fishing there. :tup
enjoy.
@ Silverback

So you also been fishing with Dom! He´s a nice guy with a real interest in fishing.
I´ve done about seven fishing trips with him since dec 2007. The best catch i´ve had was a 11 kg barramundi, in november 07.
November 08 we only caught groupers.

As you said Martin or Francis at Fransiscos shack help to contact Dom but I got telephone number and mailadress to Dom if anyone want to make contact in advance.
Will just check with Dom if it is OK to do so.
hi hotblack.
yeah mate, dom was cool....hope he's feelin better now.his mrs popped round to the shack a few days after our trip and said he was in hospital with malaria!! :( ........i'll be back at the beach on feb8th. do you have any tips for fishing at candolim.what's that rock mark round by the prison like.any advice on tackle lures etc. will probably go with dom again and maybe some beach casting in front of the shack.where can i find tide times at candolim beach??
:tup silverback
The only fishing I´ve done is trolling, no beach fishing.
However...one of my friends on the last trip did some shore fishing at night time beneath Martins shack.
He had an Ambassadeur, 12 feet rod and the line was special imported from USA, Martin used a coconut and a handline! Guess who caught any fish!? :D

Martin can probably provide you with lots of advice on shore fishing, he told me that he goes fishing everyday during the monsoon, and as I understood it it is mostly from the cliffs on Sinqerim end.

You will meet Martin and family before me, i´m going again in march.
Say hi from Chris in Sweden!
i have posted on another thread about an english guy who had set up a fishing business which he was running out of calangute he would take you on the beach day or evening and also to a lake which was up towards the river near anjuna this was 2 year ago so may not be around but i'll be looking out for him in april
Pm me if you need Domnic´s number or mailadress to get in contact with him.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.