Other Destinations Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in other destinations. Inc Brazil, Australia, New Zealand.
Iceland - Wow!
8 Posts
Thanks. A trip report would be appreciated as it's not a place that is often asked about and the information may be of use to members thinking of going there.

I take it you went to the Blue Lagoon? We thought it was great. We went on our own, not with a tour group, and it worked out brilliantly. The morning tours were just leaving as we arrived and the afternoon tours were just arriving as we left. It meant it was just locals, ourselves and two other couples we had met so it wasn't busy at all while we were there. However by the time we left and the tours arrived, it was jam packed.

luci :wave
Thank you for posting that link Maria, your photos are wonderful :)
The pictures are amazing and I'm looking forward to reading about your trip. A number of questions in the meantime, what made you chose Iceland, what was the weather like, how did you get there and most important of all, was it expensive?

Rosalyn
Thanks - I will put together a report and post soon. I have been adding more shots to my Flickr account and hope to have these complete by the end of this week, if possible.

Luci - no we didn't go to the Blue Lagoon. Due to our touring schedule we only really had the last day where we could have done this and we chose to go on a whale watching trip instead.

Rosalyn - we have seen a number of things on TV about Iceland over the years and it has been on our "must see" list for some time. The scenery always looked quite amazing. We booked this before the volcano erupted, by the way, so at one point wondered if we'd get there at all!

We considered going independantly as you can get reasonable priced flights with Icelandair but when we started to look into car hire, etc, decided it wasn't going to be much cheaper - as events turned out, we were glad we had an ATOL protected package. We booked with "Discover the World" on their "Essential Iceland" self-drive tour - a one week, self-drive tour including 7 nights hotel with breakfast and car hire. I'd recommend the company, who were very helpful. The brochure price for this tour is (I think) from about £600 but for the weeks we chose and a few upgrades we added, it was more like £1000 each. Eating out is expensive - we averaged about £60 per night for 2 courses with no wine (wine was around £6 a glass!). Saying that, most days we didn't spend much else.

The weather was very changeable and localised - driving for half an hour you could find totally different weather. Most days we had a combination of sunshine and some rain, which I think is typical. Temperatures ranged from 10-11C in the rain and 15-18 in the sun. There is almost 24 hours light though and the weather didn't stop us from seeing the amazing sights.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes the great outdoors and magnificent scenery.
Thank you for posting. Wow, amazing photos!
Iceland has always been on "my list" of must do's and seeing those photos has given me the bug again.

The only problem is I'm so used to having warm weather now, I'm not sure I could do all that cold..... Maybe a visit in July or August when the humidity gets unbearable in sunny Cyprus might just be the right time.

But, not next year as we're hoping to head off back to Luxor for a Nile cruise and meet up with a friend from UK.

Fantastic photos and many thanks for sharing them with us.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Your Photo's are amazing MariaH I would love to read your trip report, never thought of Iceland really as a holiday destination, in fact probably never gave it much thought until the Volcanic activity last year. Really enjoyed those pics :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.