Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Both places are still here on Rhodes
Cant comment on the past / present management as dont use either
Mikes has a Facebook page
The taverna has a web site
Its been about 14 years since I last went to Greece( been to Rhodes twice). I first went 25 years ago. Funnily enough, I have been recently I would like to return and wonder what I would see as a difference. I got the feeling that once the drachma went, prices went up. It used to be really cheap to eat out.
1st. went to Rhodes in 1983 and have managed at least twice a year ever since.The island has changed so much over the years. We used to swim at Kiotari when there was literally nothing there, not even a house in view from the beach. Never bothered with swimming costumes then :really . Now it's a massive holiday complex which , I'm told is fantastic.The town too is very different and I often wonder if I went now for the 1st. time, would I ever return.However, I still love the island and the people there so I guess that was a rhetorical question!!
Hi Fiona, we are lucky enough to be able to have 2 hols, our main one has been 3 weeks in Goa for the past 10 years (I think we're trying Thailand in Feb for a change) I don't know where the sudden urge to return has come from but it sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the replies tpebop & Anne, we are thinking of going around the 6th Oct how is the weather then....thanks
Keith
its still possible to swim without a costume at Kiotari if you know where
We were swimming on Plakia beach in Pefkos yesterday
My 20 year anniversary this year :cheers First went to Lindos in 1992 and loved the island so much I decided I wanted to live/work there. I returned to the UK after 2 years and it took a few years before I returned but it's been twice a year ever since (I even made it 4 times in a year once)! I've seen changes over the years, some for the better, some for the worse but I still get excited everytime I see that coastline from the plane.
Early October should be fine Keith, the weather's a little less reliable than September but as a rule it's still warm, sunny, beach weather by day. Nights can be a little cool but at worst you need a light jacket/cardigan.
I'm a positive newcomer at just 5 years then?? ;)

Staying for 2 weeks this year - at the end of June in Lindos. Roll on 16th June I'm ready for the break!!

Tpebop - how are the roadworks progressing on the main drag from the airport?

Dave
My first visit to Rhodes was in the eighties, probably around 1985. I stayed in Trianda and Ithink the hotel was the Blue Horizon. I don't think it exists now or is probably called something else.

My more recent visits have been with my family in 2008 where we stayed at Pefki Island Resort and absolutely loved it. We felt so relaxed and felt so at home in Pefkos.

We didn't return until 2011 when we stayed at the Pefkos Beach and immediately we all realized how great it was to return to Pefkos. We spent most of our time at Elia around the pool as the one at the hotel was too noisy and as the children are now older it was more relaxed there.

We were really impressed with Island Blue and promised ourselves we would stay there on our next visit. We are now counting the weeks and can't wait to return. There is something about Pefkos that we all love.
Hi Nicky,

We first travelled to Pefkos back in 92 ... can't remember the name of the hotel, but it was only of of 2 in the resort at the time. We returned the following year with people we met the year before and stayed at the Pefkos Beach Hotel, obviously before it was extended to the size it is now. We choose the 3 rooms right at the top of the hotel ... what a trek!! Nine times out of ten the owners son would get the laundry van out and give us a lift up to the rooms ... what a holiday we had with many happy memories :)
Have recently looked up Pefkos and the hotel on TA and I can't believe how built up it has become, which is such a shame:(
It's so nice that now with the internet we can retrace these things without actually going there. Even if u cant find the owner, u can find someone there who may know him... It's awesome. Makes travelling so much more fruitful!
Well I think my Dad can beat you all! He first went to Rhodes in 1947 - he was garrisoned in the Crusader castle in Rhodes town as part of his National Service. He went back with my Mum 30 years later in 1977 to celebrate their Silver Wedding anniversary. It was their first holiday outside of the UK and we haven't been able to stop them since! And me? Well I've never been because having grown up on all his stories about what life was like on the island in the 40s I want to keep it as I imagine it, not as it probably is now. He's always said that he was really lucky - too young to serve in WW2 and demobbed well before Korea and Suez. And so after basic training he spent his time on Rhodes and just outside of Cairo.

SM
Between 1991 and 1993 if my memory serves me well - and then we went back on a mini-cruise from Cyprus in 2011 which included an overnight stay onboard our ship so we got an evening and the next day in Rhodes Town as well as a visit to Lindos.

It was good to see it again and, although the resorts around the island has changed it was good to see that not too much had altered in the walled city of Rhodes Town.

Ok, the shops and bar names may have changed but the layout is still the same which makes me think all holiday resorts should have a wall around them!
I was backpacking in 1993 and ended up in Athens. I asked a bartender which island I should visit and he said, 'Rhodos, the green island'. So I got on the ferry and off I went. When the ferry came in to the harbour I was bowled over by the sight of the Old Town. Arriving by ferry really is different than arriving by plane.

I've tried before to explain what happened when I steppped off that ferry but it's a hard thing to articulate. When I literally stepped off the ferry and my foot touched the pier I felt something strange. At peace, at home, happy, comfortable, relaxed, tranquil. Like I said, it's hard to explain.

I had expected to spend perhaps a week on the island before moving on. I stayed for 7 years.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.