Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
NicJW,
I have hired cars abroad on many occasions and have always been treated with courtesy. I have also never had to insist that somebody checks the car over because it is in bad condition. Your story is worrying as I am picking up a car from Owners Cars (booked through Holiday Autos) in two weeks time. May I ask how far the car park refered to is from the Mahon Airport terminal building (I am assuming thatthe Owners Cars office is inside the terminal)?
A useful tip is, if in any doubt, photograph the car from all angles before entering it to use as evidence (the date/time stamp embedded within digital photos is good for this purpose) - I will certainly be doing this on this occasion!

Thanks for the warning,

Jet
Hi Jetnoise, the office in question was the one located at Cala'n Bosch Lago, not the airport.

I am convinced that their attitude towards us was bad because we had booked via HolidayAutos and got it cheaper than booking directly with them. I think the way they make their money on this is by selling their extra insurance, which as far as I am concerned was not required, and because we declined their attitude changed. Whilst I was waiting in the office I witnessed them deal with another British couple who appeared to have booked directly with them and the service they received was much better, however, they were not shown the vehicle either. Hopefully, your experience will be a better one!

Thanks for the tip re taking photos...didn't think of that at the time :duh
PS let me know how you get on Jetnoise.

Also might be an idea if you contact HA and confirm the level of cover you have got before you go and clarify if you need to take out the additional cover Owners Cars may try to flog you.
The only "extra" I booked was the cancellation fee waiver, I did not go for the damage excess waiver as I have never done in the past. However, your note makes me cautious and I will ensure that the car is given a good inspection when I collect it and any pre-existing damage photographed.

Did they charge you for a full tank of petrol when you collected the car and, if so, how much did they charge? The reason I ask is that this is what I am told will happen - charged for a full tank on collection and return it empty. This is the first time that I have come across this way of doing it and I am not too happy as the inference is that they can charge you what they like for the fuel!

I will report beck on how I get on!

Cheers,
Jet
We were given the car with 3/4 tank and were told to return it the same. Think it varies from office to office.

With regards the damage excess, our booking form stated this would be 350 eu, however it was in fact 450 eu, which is what they would charge regardless of what the damage was. So a cracked windscreen or lost key would cost this amount. The additional excess waiver cost us around £23 through Holiday Autos, however, as I stated before Owners Cars wanted another 70 eu for their cover.
We recently hired a car from the avis office in Mahon harbour, I didnt insure against the excess and I didnt check the car for damage :duh on the 2nd day the mrs gets out the car and spots a smash in the rear light lens :yikes it was obviously already there and I thought I was going to be stung for 650 euros on return, I wouldnt say the worry spoilt the holiday but it was dissapppointing worrying about the potential confrontation with the avis guy. When he did check the car on return he didnt spot the damage(or ignored it) so I was quite relieved. On a side note it is absolutley terrifying driving in Menorca sometimes :yikes
Yeah I must admit our first trip out in the car was a bit of a hair raiser! Neither of us have driven abroad before so I handed the task over to hubby as he's the more experienced driver. We ended up in the centre of Cuitadella, not a good idea for a first trip :yikes . A few harsh words were said between us as I recall :think From then on though we decided to stay away from the busy towns and just stick to places we could get to from the main road and it was ok, with hubby doing the driving and me being his navigator. Felt a bit like a driving instructor though having to remind him to look left at all the islands. We found turning left at junctions the most confusing, had to quickly remind him a few times to get over the other side of the road :yikes
Oh and just to add, when we hire a car next year I shall definately book one without the massive excess. Biggest c o n out, 450 euros (or 650 in your case, Trayfenny) for something like a broken light.
Hi.
i used holiday autos 5 years ago in T, riffe, car was booked over here at time of booking holiday with large well known company, car was suposed to be delivered to my hotel but i ended up being picked up by H/A rep along with another couple from a different hotel, we were then given a nightmare 5 min drive to H/A office, i was given the car we had been picked up in, a ford KA. this was my first ever hire car, there was no fuel in the tank, no map, and no advice, off i went like a fool, ended up on a motorway, going away from my resort, never checked the car, but found later we had a bald tyre on the front .
Anyway i could go on and on but i had compo of them eventually, never again will i book over here. have since used local suppliers with superb cars at far better rates and very good service
Hi Sunseeker, Just out of interest which local company do you use? Would be good to know for future reference.

Thanks
Hi
think i may have mis led you there, when i say "local" i refer to local suppliers in resort, i tend to look for what appear to be family run firms as opposed to big names, since t /riffe i have never had any problems, but i do inspect the car inside + out before driving away
I can see a lot is written, but just to add, that I also recomment you to stay away from Ownerscars. Unbelievably poor service. There are hidden taxes as well, which is just awful and the final price is just ridiculous. They customer support is terrible. I returned a car more than two weeks ago and I still cannot get my money back. They told me everything is ok and I should get my money in like 5 mins. Well, after 6 days, they refunded the fuel. But I still cannot get the deposit (800 euros) back. I sent them an email and the reply was even more ridiculous. I sent them quite a long email explaining the situation and that it is quite an inconvenience to hold my 800 euros so long. Reply was:

"Good afternoon,

Pre-authorizations are automatically unlocked from 7 to 10 days after being blocked.

Regards"

Which makes no sense at all. But I guess that's what you call customer support - a standard message for all clients, no matter what I wrote them.

Just, stay away in order to have a nice holiday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.