Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Dominican Republic for us, we will be staying at the Memories Splash resort in Punta Cana.
I am looking to get away in May for 10 days - first proper holiday for over a year :-(

Only ever been Barbados - any other recommendations?
Sunshinehereicome- is this your first time in Dominican Republic?
Lance- have only been to Antigua and Barbados. Keep looking at Tobago but never got round to it yet. Antigua has stunning beaches. Barbados- we have been to several places there and love it! Not AI though
  • Edited by Fiona 2017-03-11 08:25:03
Agree that the beaches in Antigua are out of this world - but we found eating out expensive in both Barbados and Antigua -and that was when the £ was considerably stronger than now!!
Best value has to be Cuba or DR going AI - Its cheap enuf that you can afford to eat and drink locally a few times.
Would love to go to either Tobago or St Lucia -may be next year !
Barbados going AI I would need to remortgage - can't believe how expensive the place is..
You can find eating within any budget. As for drink, it helps that my favourite drink is Mount Gay rum :) We also found a great little budget hotel in Oct 2015 with a/c , on the beach and with a swimming pool. We paid £70 a night.
Yes a first for us, it will be our first long haul holiday with the kids
sand and water- what more do you need for kids! Now for the adults- a rum punch, and a sunbed :)
  • Edited by Fiona 2017-03-11 16:53:01
We've been to the Caribbean a few times , we did a cruise so it's unfair to class those places as been to , but the first hol was a 3 week AI to Barbados and we got married there on the West Coast in St James parish , which is more impressive than Maidstone registry office on the 6th floor of the Chequers shopping centre !! We did go back there a few years later to the sister resort further up the coast and hired a jeep to drive round the island . We have also been to St Lucia twice and did a helicopter transfer from the main airport to a small airport at the other end of the island , it was stunning flying over the Pitons and seeing the island from above . We also rented a villa in Tobago in Crown Point , really nice place and we went along to the famous Sunday School ( no bible reading or praying at this one !! ) on our cruise a few years ago we spent a day at a time in Cancun , Havana , Cayman Islands with a great trip to stingray city , Jamaica and a trip to Dunns River Falls , it also went to Costa Rica , Colombia and up the Panama Canal . We've also been to Cuba to Varadero for a hol and I almost forgot the Bahamas where we had 2 weeks and had booked the " cheap " holiday inn which had in the meantime been bought by Atlantis and we were upgraded to there FOC as while we were there they demolished the holiday inn by explosion !! We were waiting one night at the exclusive Steak restaurant and the head waiter asked if we would just wait aside a while as we noticed two very burly guys who we could see were armed with pistols and a smaller older man smiled at us and said thank you and shook our hands , we asked later who he was and the waiter just said oh that's the prime minister . So we've had some interesting times in the Caribbean .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.