Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Hi, we go to Corfu every year, Sidari, they are a nightmare, but if you take the right stuff you will be ok, we take Autan with Deet in it, it has to have Deet in it, and they wont bite you, maybe the odd one lol, just spray on your ankles etc and spray your rooms with the local stuff called Tezo in a yellow spray can about 2 euros from the shop, spray every room before you go out of a night, shut all doors and they all die, I have seen people this year and last year suffer so bad, but they hadnt brought nothing with them
I'm a mosquito attractant, and I've had my share in Corfu, sometimes resulting in medical treatment. It's hard to say when they are worst in terms of time of year, as I've been bitten badly in May/June and September/October. I have learned my lessons about the time of day just before dusk, as mosquitos are nice and active then. I use Jungle Formula 50% DEET, burn coils on balconies, always get an apartment above ground floor level, and if possible stay on shorefronts where there can be a bit more breeze. I agree with the advice about spraying rooms (especially under beds) and shutting them up prior to going out for the evening. Didn't get an awful lot of bites staying in Arillas, just the ones I did get were badly infected.
hi we go to Corfu in august and don`t have a problem with mosquitos and i don`t use any repelent, in the area we goto we have found the wasps to be more of a pain than the mozzies
Are the wasps & mossies that bad that they have deterred anyone from returning to the area !!
Hi David.

We have been for the last 5 yrs !......sooooo no they dont put us off. The first year we went my son got bitten really badly, even using the repellants. The best thing we did after that was use lemon shower gel......my son starts taking garlic talkets about a month before we go, he does still get bit but doesnt then have the reaction.

Roda is a lovely little village with a nice sandy beach, plenty of fab places to eat and very friendly locals. I am sure you would be hard pressed not to like it. :sun2
the wasps and mozzies are annoying but we`ve been back to corfu 4 times now next year will be our 5th if your prone to mozzie bites use the repelents and get some after bite stuff
OK thanks last 2 posts, you have made my mind up. When we went to Goa a couple of years ago we were advised to used Avon 'Oh so soft' which seemed to work, has anyone else tried this.
Have heard of it...but never tried it. Even though my son attracts the mozzies...for some strange reason they dont like me :tup Which apartments are you staying at ?
they don't like me but love the OH :rofl she is a walking banquet for them last year she tried oh so soft [it use to be called woodland something or other] and only had a couple of bites in the evening over the week [she usually looks like a dot to dot :que
I have'nt booked anything yet, but have e.mailed Alexandros Apartments which looking at the reports sound O.K.
Hi David,
I am sure you will enjoy Corfu,it is a wonderful island!! :)

As for the mozzies,well, be prepared.I tend to get bitten very badly,tried skin so soft this year and still got bitten!!
I ended up using OFF spray repellant which you can get out there.Worked well!! Also I sprayed my room,used plugins,took garlic tablets and used the dab it bite relievers.
It hasn't put me off Corfu though,will be back there next year!! :sun2
Yes, they are. We visited in september/october and all 3 members of our family got bitten, which turned into huge infected lumps (we even used repellant). My mum was worse affected, the bite on her leg made her whole leg swell to the point it felt like it was going to burst, was very scary.
We always use Avon skin so soft dry oil spray pink it's smells nice but not to Mosquitos we don't get bit
Hi David,

When we stayed in Spain last year we used this amazing organic mosquito spray LINK (cost approx. £12 but lasts for ages!)

Our family never gets bitten using this, previously we were the mossie's favourites :(, and always came back covered in bites

Hope you have a lovely mosquito free holiday in Greece!

Sarah x

P.S. we stayed in the Costa Calida region of Spain
  • Edited by Fiona 2017-03-23 20:52:13
Yes. I am just back 4 days ago (1st Oct 2017) and can say I have never been so badly bitten ever, anywhere in the world, in the last 40 years. That was even with insect repellent. I also saw other people covered in big red bug bites. One man in a wheelchair was a prime target and said he had spent over 30 euros at the pharmacy.
My husband is usually not bothered by mosquitos but they went for him too, drawing blood on occasions.
Needless to say there are no plans to return.
Wasps and mosquitos in Corfu are the worst I have ever experienced. I pity anyone visiting Corfu who is scared of wasps. I am not, but they were relentlessly going for our food and drinks. I have never in my life been so badly bitten by the mosquitos, even with insect repellant. I didn't know what bit of me to scratch first.
There are plenty of other sunny places to go that don't have such a problem so we won't be back.
hi Linda
Was the hotel next to something like a lake? I used to be covered in mosquito bites no matter what repellent I used. I now take garlic capsules - starting 2 or 3 weeks before my holiday and very rarely get bitten. It does make sense as I used to find I got all my bites on our annual Greek holiday in the first week but nothing in second week. And of course there is lots of garlic in Greek food!
😨😨😨 wasps! I can't stand flies either, the annoy the hell out of me especially around food. I'm so paranoid I looked for a fly away gadget & found this ShooAway. I never bought one mind you 😉

Mosquitoes, I do the same as Fiona & take garlic capsules, I also take antihistamines 2 weeks before I travel & whilst away. The best repellent I've found is Odomos it gets brilliant reviews as well. 👍
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.