General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
This is one that every group I have ever seen on holiday seem to be play. Had a laugh at some of the translations - the song has had quite a few interpretations.
This one I remember from my misspent youth. Think it was Ibiza
And last for now- how many have been to Spain and actually never heard this one? Most of us who have heard it, wish we hadn't!!
  • Edited by Fiona 2017-03-13 15:06:06
Yes , Hotel California is interesting , I think it was played on constant loop at a hotel we stayed in at Taba in Egypt , I did start to feel like we were " prisoners here of our own device " and " you can check out anytime you like , but you can never leave " that tune did stay embedded in my mind for weeks !! Perhaps a tune that has always stayed with me everytime I hear it is Rick Astleys " never gonna give you up " it was no 1 in 87 the first holiday abroad with my mate to Lloret del Mar . Also laugh when I hear livin next door to Alice and it reminds me of a crazy Spanish waiter and his ad libs to the lyrics involving an English swear word :tut
Nearly band in Cuba seems to have their version of Chan Chan in their repertoire but this still has to be the best version and is one of tracks that first fired up my interest in Cuban music and especially Son.

• Edited by Fiona 2017-03-13 18:40:56
Many artists cover this song, but the old crooner Julio does it best ... La Gota Fria ( the cold drop)

Many years ago we were staying in a hotel in Spain and the hotel's resident duo sang this song. In between going on the stage I told her that I liked it and we got talking. She became one of my close Spanish friends...Whenever I hear this song, chose who is singing it, I will always associate it with her.

• Edited by Sanji 2017-03-14 21:55:54
Nick beat me to it.. Ketchup song.
Ahh. should have read Fionas's instructions:- theres a youtube embed button in the forum at the top of the posting box. you can see it before you press "post". You can delete my other effort if you like. :-D
this reminds me of Tunisia ...

• Edited by Frank 2017-03-15 15:46:11
    forgot to post what it reminds me of..
We have gone to the same campsite in France every year since 2010 apart from 2012 and this is the song I listen to (and sing along to) on my drives to the supermarket every year. My girls and I also sing it as we drive down the A1 to my dad's in the summer.
  • Edited by Fiona 2017-03-20 00:54:08
You have just reminded me of my first ever holidays. Mum and dad would take us to different Butlins camps. We always sang this holiday on the way there in the car. Very happy memories.
George Benson from my nightclubbing days!
  • Edited by Judith 2017-04-14 23:30:29
Oops forgot to write something

1975 Spent 4 weeks driving through the western states of the USA in a camper van , the 10cc tune was playing on the radio much of the time. Every time I hear the song I'm reminded of empty roads, big skys and fabulous scenery.
When on holiday at Butlins Skegness 1966' the chalets had some large pipes running the length of the chalet block, passing through all the rooms at just below ceiling height, possibly heating pipes. Somebody in another chalet tapped out a rhythm on the pipes, which everyone joined in on, because it was instantly recognisable. I'll never forget that moment.

That's a good one Frank 👍
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.