Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Got to agree with:-

The editor of Aviation Security International, Philip Baum, told the BBC that "encouraging people to check laptops, and other such items, into the luggage hold simply makes the challenge of screening even harder".
Reading the comments posted in the various media it is not welcome yet the authorities must have their reasons for bringing in the ban. Of course it is not only the inward leg of the journey. Assuming the rules are strictly applied by the named countries then the problems start here for travellers going on holiday. Security here in the UK will be applying the same rules so all the electronic gizmos will create jams at security - the nail files and scissors ban still causes problems plus the economy size sun cream bottles. Every time we go through security at Manchester we see people being caught with such things.
I know there are different strengths of Lithium batteries, but I thought they were deemed to be a fire hazard in the hold area....and that's why you have to have the battery in the device and in your hand luggage. :shrug
Sanji x
The issue I have, is that laptops aren't that study! The way they throw your suitcases around in Manchester Airport would have me concerned about it breaking!
Otherwise, putting it in the hold is easier, so I don't have to mess about carrying it.

Tablets will be hard, though, for personal boredom reasons on a flight. :-? I wonder if a "simple" Kindle reader qualifies. Otherwise I'll have to go back to an old-fashioned paper back.
Kindle's were mentioned in another report. Seems it's going to be a size issue also.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971
Ahh, yes, e-readers. I didn't read that far down. :duh
Emirates are complying with the US ban by allowing laptops etc into Dubai, at the airport, then boxing them up for the flight to US? Hmm.....

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/275547/emirates-acts-to-comply-with-us-laptop-ban
There is a thought that Trump is doing this to help American Airlines. So Emirates is trying to get round it?
I just wouldn't fancy handing over my tablet to be boxed & put on the flight.
I can't work out how this is going to make us any safer - if something dodgy isn't going to be picked up on the x-ray machines as you pass through into Departures, how is it going to be identified in checked baggage going into the hold? At the moment you have to send laptops and tablets etc through individually. I would have thought that was much safer than the x-ray machine operators having to look at a tablet in the middle of all the other clutter in a parge suitcase? And the luggage holds are no stronger than the rest of the aircraft - after all, at Lockerbie the plane was brought down by a device packed in a case in the luggage hold!

After listening to a programme on the BBC World Service, I'm convinced that this is an attempt by Trump to give American owned airlines an unfair advantage by trying to deter passengers from flying with the likes of Emirates etc. If they were really concerned with making air travel safer they would be concentrting on making sure that the security systems in place were up to the job in all airports. If security with regards to hand luggage at any airport is dodgy, surely it will be just as dodgy with regards to security checking of hold baggage? And just which airports and airlines are the unsafe ones given that the US and UK governments new measures are different and the majority of countries see no reason to make any changes at all to existing procedures?
I think Trump and the American airlines would see it unfair that the ME3 , Emirates , Etihad and Qatar do seem to benefit from " state subsidy " , and I think this ruling is a roundabout way at getting at them ? It does seem this way as the UK have followed the U.S. ruling but have not included these 3 airlines , and IMO the security procedures at DXB and AUH have never caused me any concern , and the countries on the UK list have been unsettled recently and could be considered risky ? The crazy situation is that if you fly or transit in DXB to the USA then the new rules apply , however if you fly Emirates from DXB to Milan and then from there to the USA for example the new rules don't apply ?? I think it does cause more confusion and cause misinformation too , people still can't seem to grasp the liquids rules , despite being in force for years . You do hope there are good sound reasons behind these new rules and that the security services have determined the policy rather than it being a political whim .
I think that this is not fair to ban electronic devices in any country even it is USA or UK
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.