General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Funnily enuf, my wife and I were discussing best and worst holidays last night over a pint in the pub!
We agreed on our 3 or 4 best holidays, South Africa,Barbados,Kenya .........and after a bit of thought, our 2 worst holidays - a mosquito plagued break in Majorca with no air conditioning but TWO attempted burglaries and,even worse, a holiday in Halkidiki ,booked on teletext at the last minute, in a room the size of a prison cell, looking out onto a concrete shell about 10 feet away, not even a fan in the room ,in a Greek heatwave when the temps. were regularly over 40 deg C!!!
  • Edited by brewerdave 2017-04-14 07:23:45
    Extra info
Mine was most definitely the Trip to Jamaica for my 50th birthday, I travelled on my birthday and it was a birthday trip to remember for ever.
Brewerdave- I haven't been to Kenya but we have loved Barbados and been a few times, We went to Cape Town and that was z great trip. Halkidiki- we were in a hotel just outside the village. We loved it. It was hot but in those days we actually a fan away with us! Went for early morning walks up to the hills to see all the lovely flowers. I liked the beach and the main square. We actually experienced our first minor earthquake there- well more of a tremor really.
Miss Pink- would like to go to Jamaica but unsure how safe it is outside the hotels( stupid as we did end up in the middle of an armed robbery of a diamond shop in Cape Town, which I think is the murder capital of the world). Also it seems really expensive? And you won't get me climbing up Dunns Falls!!
Hi Fiona, I never felt unsafe I had to say, but I did not walk around Kingston alone, there is crime in many countries of course and Jamaica has it's fair share and some of the reputation is founded and some is not. I love the people and the Country and of course the never ending playing of Bob Marley.

Dunns River was one of the reasons for my trip, you don't have to climb it, you can walk along side or climb a little, it's up to you and it was worth the visit. As for expensive I went as a package and I didn't find it any more expensive than other countries in that area, Mexico was more expensive.
I could definitely not get fed up listening to Bob Marley! I suppose for me, I have to go in school holidays so thats probably why I have found it expensive. Thanks Miss Pink
Fiona -nothing wrong with Halkidiki itself -just the 0* accommodation in Hanioti that my wife booked via teletext ! My wife reminded me that we "lost" my wallet on that trip as well -woke up the first morning in this very depressing tiny,hot room and couldn't find the wallet - a couple of hours later after frantic searching ,found it tucked away in the bottom of the hand luggage - there was no room safe and I must have been so tired when we arrived, that I hid it!!
Have to laugh about the wallet. My OH did the same with the camera one holiday many years ago. We went out and bought a cheap one before he remembered!
I wish I had a favourite holiday but they've all been good. I don't travel far as get too bored on long flights (longest being Florida).

Worst has to be Gran Canadian at the Millennium. It was the accommodation there that brought me to HT 17rs ago.
The most memorable one for me are the one that are made unexpectedly. Despite the costs being way higher than when you booked in advance, I find it more exciting rather than when it has been planned for months. I like how you may be having a hard week and suddenly can decide to go for a long week end, after getting a leave ofc ^^ but it gives so much more pleasure and excitment to it. What I already did whas explore Berlin with friends, hire a bus to get around in the city, enjoy the journey and relax. Would go for it again probably would go for a cruise next time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.