Forum Announcements

Announcements on changes and amendments at holidaytruths forums.
thats a great suggestion Helen!
Would be nice to have more than the last 5 posts shown in "latest posts" -as I go on only once a day (at most!) I have to look at individual forums to see whether anything of interest has been posted.
I dont understand that brewerdave. I am seeing a lot more than 5.
I assume you are referring to the Homepage Brewerdave - if you click the main forum page (http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/) then there should be an option to select the latest posts which brings up a nice long list
Thanks both - yes, I had the home page bookmarked rather than the forums page -now changed!:-D
Unfortunately that nice long list goes on forever, back to 2004 if you step through the pages. Which is why I'm hoping we can have a "view posts since last visit " link like we had on the PhPbb board style. Then we see a reduced and finite list of NEW things to read.
Have you noticed that we have now added "like" buttons to posts? It's a great feature if you want to thank someone for an informative post.
We have also made the "Review" page simpler and nicer to use.

One of the main issues that the review page had was that if the Hotel or the resort was currently not on the site, you could not leave the review. For example, Fiona you found that because we never had Buenos Aires - you could not leave a review, end of.

Now you can simply type in any area in the world, if we have that resort and/or hotel it will automatically pick it up from the data base, if not you can simply add it and then we will ensure that it is published as per our commitment.

It now means that anyone can add a any review from anywhere they have been in the world.

That was something that was not possible before.

Lance
Encouraged by the recent FB updates I've come over for a look at the new site. Not sure if this is the appropriate place but please feel free to move.

HT was a huge part of my life for many years but that's now moved on & I've become a huge social media junky. FB, twitter & I love Instagram. I rather like all these new ideas/changes & can see much potential in bridging the gap. HT in recent years, when I have taken a look has felt very dated with little connection to the world we now live in. Dare I even say a bit of a time warp! So few people now seem to even use a desktop computer! Everyone uses their phone & tablet.

I realise HT has always been about the reviews & forum for help & advice but different times now. People are in general more confident travellers & a lot more savvy about it. Not so much need for advice and difficult to compete with TA for reviews.

So, I'm thinking about how I gain my travel inspiration & ideas for future trips. It used to be from the forums here but now it pretty much comes from beautiful photos on Instagram, mainly posted by the travel bloggers, links to their articles etc.

That got me thinking about the possibility of HT hooking up with one to link to their articles but then I thought no, it wont work, it's not what HT is about & the bloggers are no doubt tied to their sponsors, funded in some way by the larger travel companies.

But, I do like the blog & photos ideas. Shame it's not utilised more. Food for thought
I too saw the post on Facebook and decided to have a look. My, the layout has changed.

I used to be very active in here and we had a good community but..well things happened and most people left.

During that time, things have moved on so much and most of us are more reliant on Social Media than Forums these days. We want the instant gratification of using "on the go" from our ipads or phones.
Whether this site can bridge that gap and compete again, and indeed restore itself to former glory remains to be seen. I think it is a tall order to be honest as we all moved on.

This place used to be buzzing.

I will keep coming back and having a look, but it is probably more when I am feeling nostalgic than anything else as my Travel requirements have changed so much over the last few years and so has the way I sort things. Fair play for trying though. :)
We are working on being able to easily post your own photos in the forum, which should make a huge difference. Lyn- I like the blog idea but not sure if it would work for here. Perhaps its for short term blogs?
Fiona I'm finding it difficult to find new posts! Is there not a function now to see posts since you last visited. I know somebody mentioned it above but that was a few months back so don't know if things have changed since

No, dont think it's for here really either. Just got me thinking about the the way I used to gain inspiration for future holidays & the way I do now. There are a number of travel bloggers out there, all on their expenses paid trips, posting gorgeous photos on Instagram. I think you have quite a challenge on your hands to bridge the gap. Maybe it can be done but I'm not sure it can unless you attract a new audience or old members embrace how much things have changed in just a few years.

I'm even struggling to put down more of a post. So used to typing in snap shots, firing off quick lines, replies & smilies that this now seems quite an effort:lol:
There is just view latest posts at the moment Lyn.
Thanks everyone for all your feedback 👍

I'm guilty of falling behind the times with all the social media stuff. I'm on FB & will join groups if I'm going to a certain place but I haven't a clue about Instagram.

I joined twitter years ago & got myself lost with all the following etc 😂😂😂😂
I don't necessarily agree that people are more confident travellers and more savy about it. You only have to watch Rip Off Britian the holidays editions to see the unnecessary and costly mistakes people make regarding travel. It makes me cringe sometimes .
I think social media, a phenomenon I warmly embrace, is most people's 'go to' for holiday advice, these days.
I'd be very surprised if this forum ever became the thriving, and fun, community it once was, but it's good to see the (apparent) idiots who ran it for a while have gone.

It's not only holiday forums which have succumbed to the power of social media, though, I believe it has had an effect on numerous topical forums.

Still, it's nice to have a place where the information is more permanent and easily accessible. I've dipped my toe in now and again over the years and it was good to see how quickly my latest review was approved and uploaded.
Like Pippy, I used to be a regular here, but I'm rarely on a PC these days .... I think the big question is

a) how do you embrace social media

or

b) make the site easier to use on mobile devices
I admit to using FB but it's the last place I would look at when researching a holiday. I also have serious reservations regarding Trip Advisor, apart from basic information such as where a hotel is situated.
I agree with Aslemma, FB is the last place that I'd look and that why I've always been convinced that there is still a need for HT.

Sanji x
  • Edited by Sanji 2017-08-15 20:44:42
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.