Holiday Truths Gallery

For over 24 years holidaytruths.co.uk has been the chosen destination of the savvy UK holiday maker looking for up to date travel information and advice.

Uploaded Files

Thanks Doonhamer 👍 Where was the sun???? 😉 Looks quite humid.
Glynis, it gets worse in July and August but it is usually very humid by our standards even in June. However, I suspect that it is simply coincidence that there isn't much sun in Doonhammer's pics - he was perhaps taking them in the late afternoon when it can become quite overcast prior to an air clearing shower? You tend to get the best of the sunshine in the mornings and early afternoon and then after the afternoon showers into the early evening.
Spot on, guys, it was indeed vey humid, and the sun was definitely better before about 3 pm, hence the overcast look. Still quite pleasant for being out & about, though.
Still looks lovely though especially seeing the wildlife 👍

Was there many creepy crawlies in your room? 😱
Not a one, Glynis. In fact, we didn't see any anywhere in the hotel, except mossies :(
I've never had problems with the insect life either, regardless of whether I've been staying with families or in a hotel. I think it has a lot to do with the regular fumigations of all premises. I assume that they are more discreet in hotels where the tourists are but in the towns, the fumigators come around at least once a fortnight. Everybody has to be out of the house, bedclothes covered, all clothes packed away etc and the fumigators work them their way down the length of each street in turn. You have to stay out the house for 2 hours after they've been and then you are allowed to go in to open the windows to air it off and the families have always advised me stay outside for at least a further hour in order to allow the house to fully aired afterwards. And of course there are things which help - on my first trip to Santiago, I think the gecko that used to visit my bedroom from his home in the wall of the balcony probably did his fair share of catching the smaller insects :-)

Last March, they were doing weekly fumigations because of concerns about Zika virus - there had been some reported cases thought to have originated from Haiti where there was a much bigger outbreak. So even mozzies weren't a particular problem because they were really hot on checking rooftop water tanks and looking for and dealing with any standing/stagnant water where they could be breeding.
Always good to know that places fumigate.

I got bit by a mozzie once in Cyprus, right between the eyes....(not a good look). I went for breakfast with my sunglasses on & the waiter asked me if there was problem? I took my glasses off to show him my "problem" & he was aghast as, waving his arms to the heavens, he announced "but they spray, with the plane" I replied, pointing to my bite, "Well they missed this one" 😁
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.