Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hurghada
12 Posts
have been to Hurghada twice since January and going again in December - safe.very safe. The airport security on departure is very good indeed
if i buy my visa at hurghada airport do i need to provide 2 passport sized photos - ie do i need to bring some photos or not - any info greatly appreciated
You do not need 2 passport sized photos - the visa is a stamp that can be pasted into you passport.

For further details see here

http://www.hurghada-tourism.com/index-en.php?menu=2&page=1

I is very important that you read the information/advice to be found here.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Well I've never been to Hurghada, but I always wanted to go there, I heard it's amazing! Tho be warned, just recently I read that a couple was there on holiday and they suffered from vomiting bug. Still, wherever u go, it's never 100% safe, so have a great time if you intend to go! :)
  • Edited by Fiona 2017-03-19 16:54:54
just got back from there, its safe. Bear in mind that you're more likely to be attacked in london than you are in Hurgharda.

couple of tips:

1. make sure you get insurance - i had a pretty bad stomach issue and ended up on a drip which cost £350 (sterling not egyptian)
2. make sure you take $25 (US dollars) per person for the visas, note NOT £ sterling. When you get to the airport, you go to where it says BANK, even when your holiday representative is trying to direct you to your holiday booth. Otherwise you end up being ripped off by paying in sterling as they want £25 which equates to about $33. The transfer coach wont leave you behind.
3. Credit cards are next to useless in Egypt, they all want paying in notes and prefer to be paid in small notes
4. take a bunch of £ coins to tip with (if you want), one pound is enough to pay people for a day of, say, bringing you drinks to your sun lounger - you can pretty much pay for anything like that
5. take imodium, take lots
6. take dioralyte, take lots
7. take buscopan, take lots
8. There are about 24 egyptian pounds to the UK pound
  • Edited by justin 2017-08-02 15:36:08
Hi Justin
Welcome to HT! That is a very informative first post. Was that your first time there?
first time in egypt in fact. except for the stomach issues (which most get), it was a good holiday.

it was hot hot hot.
Did you notice any heightened security? Was it busy? I have never been to Egypt but have nearly booked it a few times in the past. Only looked at Sharm though but was always put off as there was such a mixture of reviews.
Thanks Justin for your informative post 👍
Have done one Egyptian holiday every year for the last 14 years and have never had a tummy bug. Drink plenty of water in the heat of the day. Wear a hat and sunglasses. Clean your teeth with bottled water. Dont be excessive with the alachol while sitting in the sun.
They have a lovely climate so it's a good place to get some spring or autum sunshine .
One tip is to take dollar bills to tip with as coins cannot be changed up but paper money can, same as in England we cannot exchange foreign coins. I do the same for Turkey, tip in $1 bills as well.
I have always felt safe in Egypt .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.