Airbnb

Discussions regarding traveller experiences while using airbnb
We did Airbnb in San Francisco last year and we were really imoressed. Room was spot on and we felt really safe. I could see how it could go very wrong though and it's an easy way to have a horrib experience.

Just read this as well 'My Airbnb flat was turned into a pop-up brothel'http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39528479

Goddard1
Hi Goddard
Did you see reviews of the place first? One of my relations has used Airbnb and got a fabulous apartment in London. I am just a bit wary of booking through them though. San Francisco- only been once but I loved it!
Well. I was using airbnb for 2 years but finally I deleted my account. I was both a host and a guest. Well, most of the experiences were really nice but there were a few worse.
I rented one room and twice my guests were whether strange/depressed/urgent friend or wife looking or simply dashing.
As a guest I had usually really nice room and host. Once I felt a bit unwelcome... Dirty dishes, hosts smoking on the balcony and you could smell everything in the house, they were talking loudly although it was after midnight... They constantly had guests, we were just one of many and I could feel it. What can I do, we received a room from the photo and the location was ok. But as you can see there are things that are not on the pictures and it's an atmosphere. And sometimes they are even more expensive than hotels! So check prices and comments. If they have many positive I guess you won't be surprised.
I see you are in a good place to rent out rooms- I am not long back from Krakow. Thanks for telling us about your experiences. It looks like you found the experience positive on the whole- apart from once.
My best advice would be to see reviews of the place first and contact the host directly before requesting to book.
My grandson booked locally with them when his Japanese girlfriend was over for a week. They could have stayed with his parents but wanted to be independent and do their own cooking. He was able to check it out from outside so felt fairly confident.

When they arrived it was a very different experience. They could find neither the keys nor the owner who they were told was on holiday. They eventually managed to track down somebody from the organisers who apologised and finally booked them into an ordinary b&b which was apparently not too bad but the opposite of what they wanted.
Well, I used airbnb a few times. In general I think it's very good idea, but you have to pay attention to a few things.
Firstly, if you share a flat with the owner, it's possible that it won't be perfectly clear, as the family is using the bathroom, the kitchen e.t.c It happened to me once. Nothing big, but little everyday mess was bothering me, cause all in all, I was on holiday. It's cheaper than in hotel or in private apartment but usually you have to deal with something like a mess or children crying behind the walls.

But, It happened to me only once, while other airbnb rooms were perfect. Once I was living with nice older host, second one with nice student girl.
Definitely, if you need an advice from the locals, it's prefect idea. Also, if you plan only sleep in your destination, maybe it's better to pay less, all you need is a bed and some privacy, isn't it?
Hi Jose. Do you read reviews before you book or just take a chance?
We've only used it once and the outcome was brilliant. 25% discount for 4 weeks in Paphos.
The town house looked quite small in the pics but was far bigger, far better and very comfortable.
A 2 bed town house, use of most hotel complex facilities, close to beach, shops and restaurants.
Air con was extra, but not as expensive as hotels that charge extra. (€80 ) for 4 weeks during a heatwave.
Son and his partner visited as well, so all they paid for was flights.

Will we use it again - yes.
Hi Parky
Welcome back! It's not often that we hear that the accomodation is actually better than the photos portray! Would love to do a 4 week holiday!
Hi Fiona, thanks for that.
Anyone looking for decent accomodation in Paphos should look on Airbnb for "Ein Grosses Apartment in Paphos" and speak to Korrina.
She speaks good English and has another apartment on the next complex.
You might regret putting the name on the forum :lol:
Seriously, my sister lives in a nearby village and its handy to have recommendations.
No regrets from me, Fiona.

Our passports are now expired and I've had enough traveling around €urope, so we'll be sticking to the UK. There's so much my wife hasn't seen, so I'll be showing her some places I've seen, but staying away from the bars. :glynis
  • Edited by Fiona 2018-01-24 19:57:05
No need to ignore the bars! You do need things like lunch.
There's so much I'd like to see in the UK too. Just the weather & prices put me off. :sulk
Glynis I agree about the UK, there are so many places I would like to see, the weather would be ok for a week, but it's the prices that are far too much. Last year I stayed in a coastal Lodge house room only, nothing special possible at all, and was charging £85.00 per night. The room was large but very dated, heating could either be on all the time or off all the time, so either very hot or very cold and so many things wrong. I think £85.00 per night was too much.

I would like to see parts of the UK, Scotland, Lake District but costs stop me, not so much the weather, sad really
That's a lot per night Miss Pink. Do you go in the school holidays?
I am paying £279 (I think of top of my head) for 4 nights in Scotland in May but that is for a 2 bedroomed cottage with 3 dogs.
I never used airbnb though but just replying in general to comments about staying in the UK.
We had a long weekend in a fantastic self-catering cottage in the Scottish Borders last February. Hubby had found it on airbnb but we found it listed elsewhere and ended up saving a lot of money by booking directly with the owner.
I did that last year. Found it on booking.com and booked direct with owner.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.