Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Hi, we're off to Prague over the New Year and like yourself have everything organised bar the airport transfers. Not sure how central your hotel is but after much research I think I will be booking This company It might be worth you taking a look.

Not sure if that link works. Is anyone having trouble with it please?
Mark used them when we went in September,couldn't fault them,waiting in airport when we arrived and picked us up at the arranged time at hotel for return to airport,just paid driver in full when we got to hotel and was given receipt,very polite and nice cars aswell.
Hobo :wink:
Shirley, they are the company I was referring to in my previous post - Cedaz - very reliable, and cheap option for a direct to hotel door service.

Dont need to book, they are based directly outside the arrival hall doors.
My Prague trip is edging ever nearer and everything's organised apart from currency. Im going to take cash backed up by a card. Where is the best place to get my currency and what is the currency? I have read that it's the crown but have also heard that it's the Krona or something like that. What do I order please? Are the ATM's straightforward and plentiful and do the shops take credit cards. Thanks!
Have a look at this Shirley. We found it an useful site when we went.
http://www.traveliana.com/prague-czech-guide.html

Gives you plenty of information about exchanging money, time etc.
Czech Koruna/ Czech crowns - same currency, just referred by name in different countries differently.

Take some cash with you - seems thomas cook offer best exchange on high street at the moment. ATMs are widely available, but do let your bank know you are going to Prague. I find certain machines often wont let you withdraw.

Credit cards are widely accepted in shops, but some restaurants [typically older czech style] may not accept CCs.
Does anyone know the name of the Irish pub of Wencleslas Square that shows all the sport please?
Counting down the days to our Prague break. Now only 12 days to go. Any last minute hints, tips, advice/suggestions please? If anybody's done any shopping there, what sort of bargains are to be had? Thanks ;)
Crystal Shirley - the top notch stuff at reasonable prices.
This is my report on my recent New Year's break to Prague.

We took off on time from Bristol airport with Easy jet. All went to schedule with the check-in and flight and we arrived in Prague at 1.25pm on New Year's Eve. I'd booked http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/ for our transfers and lo and behold there was a gent waiting where he was supposed to be with our name on a board. Right, now I could relax a little as we headed for our hotel.

what a location? Very central to most of the tourist sights and only a 5-6 min walk from the old town square. There is also a new shopping complex called the Palladium, next door. Hotel review here
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/ibis-hotel-(old-town)/(Old%20Town)/

We dumped our bags and headed out for a wonder around. We found ourselves making our way through small alleyways and admiring some architecture. I made hubby get the camera out after only a few mins lol- Little did I know we'd only touched the tip of the iceberg with regards to this wonderful city's beautiful buildings. I will upload photos as soon as admin get the photo gallery up and running properly again. We called into a cafe/bar for a late lunch and then headed back for a shower and change in readiness for the evening's festivities.

NEW YEAR'S EVE-
Started off with a drink at the hotel bar and then set out (complete with map) for a night on the town ;) Having wondered for an hour or so (including time spent in a bar) we found ourselves in the old town square. As the Xmas market was still up and running everything looked really pretty, with the lit up tree and stalls. Not much later, people started letting off fireworks. It was very random and tbh quite frightening as there was no structure to it.

After a while we decided enough was enough and headed through the narrow streets again looking for somewhere to see in the New Year. After stopping in a couple more bars and trying to find our way out of the maze we eventually hit upon a lovely pub/restaurant where we had a late meal in a warm and cosy atmosphere. The place was heaving when we arrived and whilst I sat at the only high chair at the bar, hubby stood beside me. The owner (at least he looked like the owner) immediately went looking for and brought a chair for hubby and the bar lady made us feel most welcome. They managed to get us a table for two in the dining room where we stayed enjoyiing the cuisine and a chat. After the meal we moved back to the bar which was warming up in readiness for midnight. When midnight came hubby and I were sat at our table in a romantic setting, listening to all the fireworks going off outside. Hubby said it sounded as though we were in Beirut :really
It was a great night and we wondered back to the hotel in a relaxed and happy mood.

I think I'd better stop there as this is getting far too long and I'll be sending you all to sleep :rofl I'll finish by sayinig we did loads of walking and took loads of photos. We really enjoyed our break but it wasn't as cheap as we'd hoped.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4225/img0339e.jpg
Brilliant shirley. Prague was the first overseas city break we did several years ago.Despite good intentions we have yet to make it back there .

We covered most of the sights in our 3 days but for us the best part was strolling around the streets under the charles bridge and the friendly atmosphere in the bars of an evening . One day we will get back there as I'm certain there is much more to see outside of the city .
Great report Shirley - many thanks. I liked Prague too but think Krakow had a slightly better Christmas atmosphere.
Helen T wrote:
Does anyone know the name of the Irish pub of Wencleslas Square that shows all the sport please?

Hiya Helen,

I think you are refering to The Caffreys Irish Bar & it has a bar next to it called the George & Dragon.

In saying that there was quite a few Irish bars around the centre when I went to Prague a few years back.

Hope that helps.

Legs
Hi Legs - yes that was the one - however I was trying to explain where it was to Shirley h - She's back now :rofl
Thanks Helen. We found a great Irish bar - The Dubliner, in the Old Town Square. We watched the World darts competition there and a soccer match on the big screen (Liverpool) :)
Hotel looks lovely Shirley

It was Glynis and the price was even lovelier- £141 total for 2 adults in a twin room B&B for 3 nights (and it was New Year!!)
Anyone know the current exchange rate in the banks in Prague?
I am going tomorrow for the first time and staying off Wenceclas square are there any places you advise to go get money changed at/steer clear of?

Is it a corrupt place for getting money changes, are there many scams?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.