General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
It's so annoying isn't it Glynis.

I have had something similar (although at least I am actually taking it!)

I'm prescribed a really low dose AD, not for it's AD properties, but for its side effect, which is acting as a mild pain killer.

70% of people who take amitryp don't take it for AD purposes it's really old fashioned and there are much more effective ones nowadays like Prozac etc.

I take it for Fibromyalgia (sort of unexplained pain syndrome) it's the only thing they ever prescribe for this and only 10ml, the AD does is I believe 200ml.

Tried explaining the above to an insurance company &, no comprendo ! No idea what it would exclude me for cover from :que it's all a bit of a nonsense and a definite minefield.

Ray

Best. Wishes, I hope you manage to get something sorted out so that you can get away for a break, you certainly deserve it.

Doe x
I'm finding this all so frustrating as well. I have gone to Staysure with high blood pressure plus high cholesterol. I also take a tablet a day for an over active bladder (something I requested). I am waiting to go for some tests at the hospital, but until I have had these tests Staysure won't insure me for the pre existing, even though the tests are nothing to do with these pre existing conditions. I can pay the extra premium once the tests have been done. I took out the insurance they were offering, purely for the cancellation aspect of the policy which means if I fall down and break a leg I will be covered.
It was Amitiptyline I was prescribed Doe, 10ml, 2 tbt at night.

Hope all goes well with your tests Sue x
I've just come across this firm. Not had time to do any research so can't make any further comments.

http://www.medicaltravelcompared.co.uk

Might help.
Ouch!!
just had a look at and got a quote from the above link.
£593 !!
both wife and self have high blood pressure, I have high cholesterol and she has under active thyroid, so nothing fairly unusual there,
quote was for annual world wide excluding USA etc
del949
uch!!
£593 !!
both wife and self have high blood pressure, I have high cholesterol and she has under active thyroid, so nothing fairly unusual there,

Report this post

if that's the price for that small amount, don't think I'll bother looking for mega illness.
we paid £141 last year, expecting a bit more this year but not that kind of money!
del949 wrote:
Ouch!!
£593 !!

Sorry about that! In mitigation, the firm came recommended by a travel magazine I subscribe to. I hadn't looked beyond the home page. You do wonder where they get the prices from. If I've time over the next couple of days I might take a proper look and scare myself silly. Will I be covered for that :rofl
AH, just thought :yikes maybe that's the holiday included :rofl :rofl :rofl
I received an email from a company named Medical Travel Compared so decided to put my medical details in to see how much it would cost for a European annual policy.
The prices varied from £64.99 with Insure for all to £305 with Avanti!
I am more confused than ever. :que
Did a dummy booking and having received a quote I definitely need medical insurance :rofl Where do they get these figures? I don't think we will be using this firm at any time in the future.
see this is why I asked, I have previously been quoted holiday prices for holiday insurance.
yes my wife has mega things going on, but you gulp when told the price :que :que
UPDATE.
aye, think the holiday will be off for a while,

week past Wednesday ambulance again into hospital for severe double pneumonia (my wife),
out off ICU and doing better, so I'll not bother checking prices for holiday insurance just yet.
still looking for gaps in between hospital times, and if I find anything ask doctor if its OK for her to travel.
insurance or not :que :wave: :wave:
Really sorry to read this Ray, wishing her a speedy recovery.
I have taken out insurance with.... Insurance with...very reasonable, pleasantly surprised at cost of policy. I did have breast cancer, 7 years clear, asthma, my partner has high blood pressure, policy for a week in Cyprus £34 for both.
Ray,So sorry to hear things haven't be good for your wife (health wise) . Wishing her a speedy recovery. :kiss

Sanji x
Suddenly occurred to us to ask Nationwide who offer free cover to customers and having gone through our list of pre-existing medical conditions they were extremely competitive and have gone with them. Don't know why we didn't try them first :duh

Can't remember exactly how much they charged but it was under £200. Cover is for Europe only, which is where our next holiday will be, and they have assured us that if we upgrade to worldwide including USA the extra charge will be minimal.

We are happy. :cheers
my wife has been back in hospital twice since the last post
and a holiday is off for a good while.
6 weeks daily to get a specially made up antibiotic to try and clear the pneumonia.
seemingly its a cavity in her lung that's the problem, its not inflating the lung properly.
if this works fine! but if not, an operation to remove the bit of lung causing the pneumonia.
so its wait and see time again.
thanks all for the get well soon and speedy recovery notes..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.