General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I used Barclays this year. My Oh is on a couple of Meds, so am I, plus I had recently had an operation (I think it was within 6 months of my date of travelling.

Their on-line quote system wasn't too hard to use, but I still ended up calling them to check things out, but then the person I spoke to recommended going back and booking on-line as it had a 20% discount over phone bookings.

It also gave you the option of paying less and not having a particular aspect of your health covered if that makes sense - which can be useful if it's something you believe will not put you in an emergency situation if you are abroad.
Although we can't match your ops or appointments hubby has a number of problems which always send alarm bells ringing when we start looking for travel insurance. At the moment we are with Insure & Go but have used Avanti in the past. Changed from them simply because their prices had gone up, plus we also wanted a firm which would give us cover for cruising (surprisingly some firms are a little behind in this area for full cover).
Mines with Nationwide. Both hubby and I take meds, cost £70 extra for the year to cover our conditions.
try Columbus direct I have many problems and hubby a couple found them too be very reasonable x
We have medical conditions, last two times I have used flexicover, they came out cheaper, I always go on compare.com .
What annoys me with most of these companies who advertise covering pre- existing conditions, is that they don't want to know about any on-going conditions - and if they do, they quote a ridiculous price.

For example, my OH has had (known) high blood pressure for 20 years, with only a slight change in medication a few years ago + statins, which was due to the advancements in drug therapy and not his condition changing.
Whilst they load up the price of the policy, they seem quite happy with no drug change, no hospital admissions and no claim on any policy, so, they will cover his high BP.
However, I found that when I answered their questions about myself, their 'covering pre-existing conditions' don't apply to me.

I had a bowel resection and I was diagnosed a year ago with Crohn's disease, and as this is an incurable disease managed by diet and drugs, with unpredictable flare-ups occurring...... when they ask if ...
1. Have you been in hospital in the last 12 months.
2, Are you still attending hospital.
3. What drugs are you taking.

1.Yes. (twice)
2.Yes.
3. None (because the NHS have been peeing me about for 12 months with tests and waiting months in-between appointments)

It's a different ball game and they don't want to play.!

Sanji x
  • Edited by Sanji 2014-11-02 21:17:28
Yer I know what you mean, that's the only problem when you have things on going, I suggest only way is to phone them, to explain all this .
I have pre existing conditions and so has my husband.
I have used Insure and Go and they only go back 5 years into your medical history(or so I was told)
We are on some medications for preventative measures so have to phone them instead of applying on line.
Previously I was insured with Staysure and they added £41 to my policy for treatment I had when I hurt my back 32 years ago!!
they only go back 5 years into your medical history

Maybe that's why I seem to get nowhere with any of the ones I tried, having been diagnosed and in hospital in the last 12 months. I think it must also depend on what medical condition you want covering.
We have been with the HSBC for over 30 years and we've been quite happy with the policy and the price....that is, until this last year....they won't cover me for Crohn's, but they'll cover my 72 year old hubby with high BP.

I had to make my first claim ever, in July of this year when I picked up a bacterial infection and I was hospitalised in Malaga City - I must say that the HSBC were excellent, but thankfully the problem wasn't something they could definitely connect to Crohn's disease and get out of paying.

Sanji x
We have always gone through a broker - our current policy is with Fortis.
thanks for the prompt replies.
I'm looking for a space in between hospital/doctors
appointments for January or February just for a break.
popped off to Gran Canaria at the end of June WITH NO
INSURANCE and my wife took ill again :(
so thought better get insurance again...not wanting
caught out in PUERTO RICO.

its when you start telling them breast cancer twice,
a year past July a burst small bowel caused by a hernia op error,
straight into intensive care.
two stone she lost during that, she was only 8 1/2 St before it.

a tram flap op and taking double pneumonia in the middle off it
(its an op used a lot in America)
and ending up in intensive care for nine days
4 major back ops,
reconstruction ops that didn't go as planned.
the list could go on (I'm not listing the tablets :really )
friends cant believe the things that could happen to one person,
(even her doctor finds it amazing.)
she's been out the hospital for three weeks now,
but for the previous two and a half month she was whipped away,
three times with blue lights, yes pneumonia each time,
two weeks at a time, once H,D,U.
SO I'M THINKING A BREAK IN THE SUNSHINE FOR BOTH OFF US
AND HOPEFULLY NO ILLNESS :sun2 :cheers .

so ill check out some of the above companies mentioned. :sun2
good luck Ray. You both deserve a nice holiday after all that.
I would be really interested to hear how you get on and the cost. Sometimes you have just have to grit your teeth and pay it to get to do what you really want to do.
I use ARIA assistance based in Hayward Heath, West Sussex phone no.01444 442442, I am 78 plus I have high Blood pressure, Diabetes, cholesterol, and benign prostrate, they cover me for a yearly European cover, no winter sports for just £160.00 have made many recommendations. Tonyt.
I worry about Insure and Go only going back 5 years as I had a TIA in November 2001.
I always mention it and they document it but I wonder if they would pay out should I ever take ill.
This year we have only been abroad once and had a few holidays in the UK but even here you need insurance.
I have made a note of your company Tony so will get a quote from them.
we use Insure and go too, but our conditions are very basic, HBP etc.
With relatively "normal" pre existing medical conditions (for our age!!) I shop around still; in the last few years we have used FlexiCover,Insureandgo & now, Staysure.
We did use SAGA up to ~ 5 years ago,but their premiums got silly, even for minor conditions!
You both certainly deserve the break Ray & I admire your wife for still wanting to go. I'd be scared of being ill abroad so :bow Mrs Ray. :tup
Just re-read ray388's post - Puerto Rico?? -Extremely brave -wouldn't you be better off in the Canaries??
Ray means Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria.....I reckon Dave ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.