General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I don't have any experience of prepaid debit cards, but you might consider opening an account with Nationwide (who don't charge for withdrawals abroad), purely for use whilst on holiday.
I don't have any experience using them either but I have recently taken out Travel Insurance with Insure & Go and they have sent a card. I am unsure whether or not to activate it and would also wecome any feedback.
I usually take enough euros for a couple of days and change Sterling in Spain for the rest of my spending money and take my normal Debit card for back-up. I haven't had to use the Debit Card before. On the whole I think the pre Pay could be a good idea.
I remember the previous thread about these prepay debit cards, don't they charge you for getting your own money out. That is why everyone at the time was saying to open a Nationwide Flex account and put holiday money in there. There is no charge for withdrawals abroad and they give a good exchange rate.
I'd definitely open a Nationwide flex account and just transfer your holiday money into it,the money you put in you get out without charges.Also you get a good exchange rate and i've used mine in Turkey and Portugal and have had no problems using it.
I've had a nationwide flex account and debit card for some time now. They cannot be beaten when abroad (their credit card also has no charges when used abroaad and an above average exchange rate on purchases). However when in Canada recently they blocked my card when I had a couple of failed attempts at ATMs (don't know why but the ATM protocols were unusual so I probably pressed the wrong buttons). So I would recommend that you tell your bank that you are going abroad and where.
Last year I used a Going Places pre paid card but every time I used it to pay the bill it wouldn't accept my pin so had to try and explain that you had to press enter twice so that I could sign for it. Used the correct pin as I had to withdraw money from ATM which I later found that I got charged about 4 euros each time.

Opened a Nationwide current account and used that this year and would definately recommend this for using abroad. Changed £200 before going away and got 1.39 euros to the pound. When I withdrew money abroad I got a rate of 1.49 so for the £1000 I spent I got an extra 100 euros by using the card (£70)
bit of a silly question :oops:
but can you use the nationwide flex card in any cashpoint machine
:roll: :roll: :roll:
I've been able to use mine in any machine I've tried including Bulgaria.

Patka
The cash machine has to be CIRRUS but pretty much all of them are abroad. It will only be in a more remote location that they won't be{but then if it's that remote there probably won't be a cash machine} :lol:

My family and I have used the Nationwide Flex Account card in many many countries without any problems
Used my Nationwide card in many ATM's with the Visa logo without a problem in Portugal
Cirrus organisation was taken over some time ago by the Visa organisation therefore you should now look for visa supported machines
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.