Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Prices shot up!
55 Posts
are we talking every single thing has gone up a lot in price or only some things etc ?

Steve
I will write a report on my views over the next couple of days

I guess Julian is recovering as per his above post :D
i think a lot is to do with the change to the Euro and the "rounding up",the example i would give is that last year my son went on the Sling Shot (mad fool!) at £10CY this year it was 20 Euros, I make that a mark up of over 4 euro's over and above the exchange rate??? :que

J.
I will write a report on my views over the next couple of days

Gonna' have to wait till weekend, work is making me pay for taking 2 and half weeks off! :yikes

J.
lol oh we all get that.. you want to lie in the sun and they want to make you work....
i went last year was going back but my mum and sister went back and they said it everthing has double in price that was only 3 weeks ago
I can assure you that everything has not doubled...What was CYP£5 last year is now €8.54, but that doesn't make it double the price :)
Sorry to say if they keep on the tourist industry in Cyprus will be no more.It has been on the decline over the past 10yrs and will get worse.
The Tour ops are hiking prices for 2009 to levels where the average family cannot afford Cyprus.
put it this way vodka and coke 5.00 euroes speaks for itself
Not living in the UK how much is a Vodka and Coke in a local Pub??
Don't know aboutb the Vodka, but i was drinking Strongbow in the Golden Arrow pub in Napa at 5 Euros a pint that's 4 Quid!! :tut It's ony 2.50 in UK

J.
Vodka and coke in local pubs in the UK is approx £3 - £3.40.....which makes it slightly less than the 5 euros quoted. However it's like everything else, it depends where you drink. We paid on average 4 euro for a spirit & mixer in Ayia Napa in June.

Sweetsamy Don't forget your getting on average more than double the amount of spirit in Cyprus as oppose the ridiculous measures we get in UK pubs......so to my mind even 5 euros isn't expensive bearing in mind it's more than double the alcohol measure than at home ;)
I not so sure Miss_Chief, again in the G. Arrow my wife was drinking Barcardi and Coke, it was from a normal optic and cost 5.2 euro's. plus she rekoned it wasn't as strong as at home.

:que
J.
I found that in Napa too when I went in April, everything is more expensive, alot of it is to do with the Euro rate though, and partly to do with profiteering with the Euro, they display dual prices but all they have done is worked backwards from the new euro price to show the old CYP£ figure, i've a feeling Napa is worse for this as when we went over to protaras it didn't seem as bad.

When I went the euro rate I got was 1.18 euro to £1, last april it was 1.47 euro to £1, so a massive difference
I not so sure Miss_Chief, again in the G. Arrow

I'm not sure why you would drink in there given the expense then and poor measures ? ! I wouldn't go back to a bar that profiteered like that....they only get away with it due to the prime location

If you walked down to the Seahorse.....it was trebles for 4 euro and free mixer :tup
don't forget that you are not in the UK and so some things will be more expensive than at home due to costs of getting them to Cyprus...

If you drink a local beer its going to be cheaper than an imported beer the same way as a local spirit will be cheaper than imports.

Look at it this way, it costs me nothing to go to my local countryside for a walk but to do it from Cyprus would cost a fortune in airfare, so I'd be daft to complain about it costing more wouldn't I ... when in Rome etc....
We came back last sunday and I can assure you that prices have not "doubled". If you drink imported drinks then yes you can expect to pay high prices. Many places were advertising a pint of Keo for 2 euro. Over two weeks we spent a bit more this year but that was due to the fact that we had a trip to the water park this year and also had to fill up the hire car. I went to Tenerife in March and I can honestly say that Cyprus is on a par with prices there :D
much as I suspected Madmax !... fair enough if you want your own drink that you have at home then you can expect to pay more...

personally I don't travel 2000 miles to try and find things I have at home and then complain when its not the same or costs too much !... I'm there to explore, learn and try new things...(it also makes it better when you are back home as you can find something like the beer you had or make a meal from the country and hey presto the memories are flooding back and you get a "return visit" for free....

Steve
A lot of my work colleagues have been to Spain and her islands this summer, they have all complained about the prices there...€3 for a tin of coke! in some places.

What a lot of people don't realise is the euro / stg exchange rate this summer, when you mention that they go...oh yes makes sense now :lol: Though im sure there are some places who have taken advantage of the change from cyp£ to euro as a lot of places in europe did when changing over. Especially in the tourist trap areas (and these are in every country) they will be higher but we try to go off the beaten track but when you just want to drink some (well lots) of cocktails the first one will do :lol: :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.