Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Imported drinks are very expensive in Turkey but still, £17.50 is ridiculous - you must have gone the most expensive place in Turkey ;)
I cant recall the name of the bar we went into, it was in the main street at the beginning as you go in on the left, opposite a shoe shop and a jewellers,(yes many jewellers i know lol) It was a pretty shabby place really. The coffee was Nescafe and the beer local.
2 coffees and a beer in Turkey? I would say £3 to £6 maximum unless you're in a 5 star hotel. It's hard to imagine paying much more than 5 Lira for a local beer - we went to Turkey twice last year and used bars and restaurants every day and didn't pay more than 3.5 Lira for a beer anywhere.

So it seems likely they either charged you over £10 for the Tia Maria, made a "mistake" or were just out to fleece the tourists.

Scarey! :yikes
Rosie_Leeuk,
I got to say you sound as though you were ripped off.
Coffee is normally nescafe and cost about 2ytl and beer 1-5ytl depending on the make but tia maria is expensive.
You were over charged definately should of been no more than 7-10 euro's.

Don't be put off going self catering or bed and breakfast.
Where ever you go you can be taken advantage of. We've had it before ourselves but i told them i wouldn't stand for it.
They tried to charge me a different price from the one on the menu.
Might seem a pain but check prices first and keep track of what you spend, you can ask to keep the menu on your table and if prices are in ytl just convert it yourself...know the exchange rate.
It pays you to do this anyway for when you go out and buy goods to take home.
There is a converter table you can print off in the control panel at the top of this page...very useful.
The Turkish people are normally very fair any way but the prices aren't always set so they quote you what ever they want.
If you seem willing to just hand over the cash , they'll let you.
Its business.
But as i said don't be put off..its great to go out for your meals and the experiance makes the holiday all the more fun.
It never costs us a fortune to eat out.. we average £15 - 25 for a three course meal for three of us with a couple of drinks each.
Have fun.
Sorry the converter is in the holiday tools option at the top not the control panel. :que
No those days are over with SC, we had fun trying all the different restaurants in whatever country we visited, now we are 5 star AI fans and will be staying with the programme LOL.
We both work very hard and just want everything on the doorstep we like to be pampered and spoilt and that's what we get. The A La Carte in the 5 star are very good, last August we were at the Barut Lara for 2 weeks and we only ate once in the buffet. We don't buy holiday junk far too much of that over the years lol.
Yes it was Nescafe and they did ask if we were paying in lira or euros we only had euros at the time. And I don't call that business if they just make the prices up because they think you look like you will pay it. I must admit because the pound was so low against the euro at the time I didn't really take too much notice.
It hasn't put me off Turkey, we are going to the Rixos in Bodrum in July, but we wont be going back for Xmas's as the weather last Xmas was terrible rain cold and wind for 2 weeks, that's how we got dragged into the cafe in the first place. We are off to Egypt this Xmas
No i don't think its good business if they hike up the price just because they think you'll put up with it either.
I just feel thats how they obviously run it.
I know what you mean about being pampered in AI...
We stayed in a lovely luxurious hotel in Spain about 5 years ago and it was lovely.
They couldn't do enough for you and it was nice to just be waited on.
I love traveling round when i'm away now though and thats why i always eat out as i'm hardly ever in my hotel, which is why i go b&b instead of all in. LOL

Well have fun and i hope you have a lovely time in Egypt at xmas.
A friend of mine goes every year..she loves it.
when we were younger we would book last min s/c deals and hire a scooter, best holiday ever was Kefalonia basic accom but right on the beach and a street away from the nightlife which wasnt rowdy as we know it today. Again hired a scooter and travelled from one end of the island to the other it was fantastic scenery, the people so friendly we even had nights out with the waiters from the restaraunt we ate in, (there were many and we tried quite a few but stuck with the one for the second week)
We have been told at the Rixos they even come round to clean your sunglasses!
I would highly recommend the Barut Lara for AI we had a junior suite and got the VIP treatment every day, own exec lounge where you poured your own drinks and all branded Jack Daniels etc, laptops papers food big screen tv and priority booking for the a la carte, even had our beach towels delivered every night and bath towels changed twice a day fruit every day and mini bar with beer and spirits. That spoilt us i think LOL
I am sure we will love Egypt heard many good reports
does anyone know any of the club entry prices on bar street this year????
Just back from Gumbet and prices dont seem to have gone up from last year.
We were HB this year but at lunch time we paid 2.50TL for a Lamachum at the excellent Saray Zetas restaurant.
Draught Efes was 3.50TL Bottled 4TL.
The quieter bars had draught beer for 2.50TL and the muic bars had it for 3.50TL and bottled 4TL.
Coffee was free at Zetas after our lunch.
Ice cream cornet at Burger king was 1TL and a Magnum was 2.25TL.
We only ate out 1 night in Bodrum by the harbour and my husband paid 27TL for a T,bone.I had a Turkish Pide for 16TL which was a rip off as most place do it for around 8TL.
The exchange rate was 2.35TL to the £ but we used our Nationwide card and wont know until we get our statement what our rate was.
Bodrum airport had a special offer on for Yeni Raki and for the first time in years we bought 2 bottles for £16(for2)
I remember paying £2 a bottle but Turkey is still the best value for money compared to the Euro zone countries.
Welcome home Jaytrip. So how was Gumbet? Did you like it there ?

Doe
Not sure if this is any use to anyone but thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk are offering 2.42Lira to the £1
Hi Doe,I really enjoyed my holiday and the hotel was the best I have stayed in in Turkey.
It was laid out like the large AIs I have been in but it was HB and it was an oasis of calm.
The guests were from Turkey,Holland,Belguim and the UK.Everyone was friendly and I cant wait to return.
The resort was lovely as was nearby Bodrum.I obviously wouldnt go in high season but that goes for every other resort.
I have done a review (Parkim Ayaz)and I am now waiting for the lovely hotel we stayed at last July in Austria to come on offer, :rofl
Regarding the prices in Turkey, I still think you will not find a holiday destination that is as cheap.

Goa is cheaper :D , we have been going since 1996 and this year for a family of 3 (2 adults and 1 child) our evening meals were averaging at around 10-15pounds. We got our little boy mash, chicken, gravy, veg ( hes only 5 so wasnt keen on the local food), i had a beef chilli fry or a curry with rice and nann, and my partner had either steak, or fish. Along with a few diet cokes, kingfisher beer and milkshakes.

I think i am going to be in for a shock when my partner and I visit marmaris in 11 weeks, but its not all about finding the cheapest place, we have worked hard for a second holiday this year, so we're not bothered if Turkey isn't as cheap as Goa, the flights cost less though :rofl
edit: i meant to say 10-15pounds for all 3 of us, not per person.
I think it is one street back from the main street that runs along the Marina,just below the castle.
Pricers in turkey today, wait until you see 2010 holiday prices, direct holidays phoned pre-registed people and I was quoted double the price I am paying this year to turkey, others were the same being quoted double the price for spain, canaries.

Seems if the prices stay high for 2010 plenty will stay at home.
Hi, could anyone tell me roughly how much a few things are in the marmaris area:

Soft drink, coffee, a beer (local and imported) , vodka and mixer, cocktails, evening meals ( are there any deals, as id imagine they'd be competing against each other?)

Do prices tend to be a bit higher on bar street? id imagine so because prices are higher in my local town centre on a fri/sat night.

prices of a boat trip for the day from marmaris?

entry to a waterpark?

and last but not least prices for a typical meal in a typical Turkish place ( a back street cafe/food place where the turks eat?)

Thanks very much :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.