Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
And that's why we are not going to Turkey for Xmas this year, they have finally caught on to the rip off prices. We went for Xmas in 2007 AI 5 Star Delphin Palace and paid £700 each for 2 weeks. This Xmas we are going to Sharm El Sheik 5 star AI where the prices are very reasonable and if we like it we will be going back next summer. No, its not about finding the cheapest, but who wants to be ripped off?
We both work very hard and have 2 holidays a year, we want the best for the best price we can find and Egypt seems to be it at this time. Plus the weather is guaranteed, whereas in Turkey last Xmas it did nothing but rain, freezing cold and very cold wind for the whole two weeks, it was miserable.
We are off in 3 weeks to Bodrum to the Rixos Hotel, it was recommended and yes its a bit expensive but if its as good as we were told it will be worth it.
Rosie sharm is a good choice for the time of year, plenty of sunshine and temps in the mid to high 70's. I would never go to turkey in december and it looks like I might join for next year, waiting for the hilton hotels to release there prices for next october and I will book a supersaver room, they were as low as £30 pp per day A/I if I booked for april, get a flight with easy jet as soon as the flights come out.
Turkey is not an all year round sunshine resort. It does get very cold, rains a lots and gets huge amounts of snow in some parts that is why most of the resorts close down in winter.
I returned last week from Marmaris and found the prices of alcohol on seaside and bar street much cheaper. I spent £200 in a week SC on drink and food whereas last year in August I spent closer to £300. Food was gorgeous as ever out there and some good bargains to be found. Roll on next summer!
The Med side of Turkey has (usually) reasonable temps, Xmas 2007 every day was between 21-24, 2008 a total washout and really biting winds, we were at the Hemera and I dont think one guest escaped a cold,.
Canthink: I will keep that in mind have only done the packages so far, would be interesting to see what the rates are for xmas
ive visited hisaronu for the past seven years and of course the prices have gone up, but over the past 3 years there has not been much of a change,the thing that really annoyed me this year was the bars in hisaronu ovacik and olu deniz have been forced by the local council to charge a minimum price.
this is the set tariff.
4 tl large beer
3.5 tl small beer
6 tl local spirit
6 tl glass of wine
anyone caught not following these prices are fined and then shut down for a few days nd repeat offenders will be shut altogether.
my problem with this is not that the prices are excessive there reasonable i suppose,the problem is that the well known/established bars are charging these prices and they are forcing new or less established bars to charge more,therefore they cant compete.
ovacik which is a smaller attached resort have always charged much less than hisaronu and now they cant,so eventually this will cause these bars to close and leave it open for the other bars to charge as they please,with no maximum being set.
ok this wont force closures this year but it will next year thats for certain.
the only thing the lesser bars can do is offer discounts once your in the bar,but you dont know that till your in and your not going to go into an empty bar.
they cant even put a sign up stating 2 for 1 etc etc.but some of the favoured few are allowed to.
not everyone wants to drink in the bigger noisy bars,but if you walk past a bar with half a dozen people you might pop in,if its empty you wont go in,this pricing enforcement will and has already started to affect the trade in many of the smaller and new bars.
te council has even left the over head coloured lights off on the kaya road stretch of bars and restaurants so people dont even bother to walk down there.

personnally i think its nothing but greed by a few well connected people that seem to have some clout with the local authorities,and many of these people also rent out the smaller establishments which rubs salt further into the wounds.
i know money makes the world go round but it also made ibiza faliraki etc etc go round till someone shot the golden goose.
hello i am traveling to marmaras on the 21st of september 09,and i was wondering how much things cost like a meal,drinks ect, i am taking 2 children with me age 10 and 4 .also how much are things like the waterparks, boat trips,turkish baths ect.this is our first time to turkey and we are just seeing how much money to take .also is the weather good at that time of year?
It was quite funny because one day when we were in Bodrum recently he pretended to be Italian to see what price they would say and the guy in the shop said to his friend in Turkish "he is Italian start at twice the price" , when he told them he was actually Turkish they looked rather shame faced and he got his jeans really cheap

This is one of your comments, Kedi. Great!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.