Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Personally I don't think they will try it on with the prices, there is too much competition between restaurants and bars, if one puts the prices up they will soon see trade disappear, if they all put their prices up they will destroy their businesses for the following season as people won't return, having spoken to many turks who I now call friends they understand that the tourist industry has grown rapidy because of the excellent value for money you get.

We will soon find out as the main season starts next week

Dave
I can't see them putting their prices up just 'cos the euro's gone up against the pound either. They're business people over there and know what's what - plus there's so much competition.

The thing is that the pound has gone down in value against the euro big style so that's why things are more expensive. It's not suffered quite so badly against the lira -am I making sense here or just waffling?

I know what you mean about not being dictated to about where you go because of the euro (I love Turkey and have a house there and so would choose to holiday there all the time) - but some people are on a budget and for them, it makes sense to go somewhere where their money will go further.
I think there is every chance that they will see it as an opportunity to increase prices. Prices have already risen rapidly in the last few years and there are already places where there is one price for the local and a much higher one for the tourist.
Some tourists don't help matters by exclaiming 'oh this is much cheaper than home'. The vendor sees this as an opportunity to charge more. Many of them don't see further than that immediate sale and how much extra he can get.
pargaluvva, It would be far better to wait until May when all the tourist resorts get up and running for the start of the season for anyone to make this judgement, I certainly dont think they will do this, The only thing that has gone up in price in the last 4 years in Turkey has been Alcohol and soft drink prices, 4 years ago a pint cost me between 2 and 2.5 lira less than a £1, now that price is between 3 and 3.5 lira less than £1.40, Reports from users of this forum regarding prices in Turkey will be reported on here after the first week of May, Most people that go to Turkey go back time and again for one very good reason, They are well looked after by their Friendlier hosts the Turks.
  • Edited by rwb46 2009-04-20 09:36:08
I just wish people would start going and coming back so that they can post their findings as I haven't booked my summer holiday yet this year. :rofl
I would say overall it wasn't bad value for money. Lira currently 2.3 = £1.

We're just back from Side, stayed at the Arum on a B&B basis.

Out and about a steak will be around 25 lira at most, pizzas are around 10 lira, various Turkish style kebabs and whatnot around 10 to 14 lira.

A pint was normally 4 lira, so under £2, although our hotel was 5 lira for 300ml (so we didn't drink much there), and the mountain top restaurant in Antalya tried to charge us 10 lira for 400ml :really for which they got told to do one.

Generally I'd say still a much cheaper bet than somewhere Euro based which is why we went.
Those price's in turkey are more expensive than I pay where i live in london, pint beer £1.30 to £2.20 double with mixer £2.49, my local has a steak night on wednesdays 8oz rump steak £4.99. To me its not cheap abroad.

What does happen the greedy bar and restaurant owners kills the goose what laid the golden egg and people stop going, happened in spain after the euro came and they change 400pts to 4 euro's after a couple of years price came down. People start going A/I because they know what they will be paying and if you they go to side, lara beach or belek there are very good A/I hotels what serve international spirits.
Well, I'd take the prices in Turkey over those here in Scotland any day of the week! We rarely eat out here at home because it's so expensive, whereas we can enjoy fabulous food at a fraction of the price in Turkey. We didn't find the drink prices that bad either - unless you're fussy and want specific brands. In October, some bars were only charging 1YTL for an Efes - can't complain at that! :cheers
I want the real branded spirits and not the local stuff.

Restaurants there are so many the compitition keeps prices down.
Efes is as good as any beer you'll get. Had to laugh one night, we were in the restaurant across the road from the Arum (The Brothers) and this guy who obviously fancied himself, designer specs, some sort of designer flat cap (can you get such a thing LOL) and designer girlfiend, and they both order Millers. Now Millers is one of the worst beers around anyway, but over there you're paying a big premium, yet this goof ball still buys Miller. Who says advertising doesn't work? :rofl

cant think - if you're paying £1.30 a pint in London, then tbh I doubt I'd be drinking in there, it must be how can I put it, and 'interseting' pub no?
EChtloon, are you going to post a review of the Arum, be interesting to see what you make of it after teh refurb.
Going to yeah, not today though, catching up at work. Will say Hotel (appartments in our case) were excellent though.
Thanks for posting good to get a view from someone who has just been, instead of all the speculation. :tup

Erh ! I live in London and there's nothing wrong with our pubs with cheap beer and the places where I can get two meals for 10 quid. :rofl Quite offended really.

LOL to the bloke buying the Millers. But if everything else is designer perhaps he feels he needs a designer beer. Effes is OK by us.

Look forward to you review. :tup
We were in Belek last May and the prices for golf green fees shot up when the euro took a plunge last year. It didn't seem to matter that we wanted to pay in sterling. Their prices were converted to euros first then to sterling.
i agree that turkey is no longer the cheapest for drink - i would not call it expensive but average BUT to compare a £4.99 rump dinner in england to a steak dinner you get in tukey is just plain wrong - in gumbet last year we paid 22 lira (about £9.50) for fabulous steak dinners that included a bottle of wine (and very drinkable it was too) - it was sirloin steak that must have been at least 12 to 14 oz - perfectly cooked on a sizzler platter with all the trimmings - fantastic!!! - the steak dinner alone in england would have been £14 to £18 on its own!!

as for all inc compared to self catering i think its everyone to their own - if i had young children i would definitely consider all inclusive in turkey - but i dont so i prefer self catering

one thing which i think makes a turkish holiday special over any other country ive been to (as theres quite a few) is its people - they are simply the best, they are generous, respectful, and welcoming, regardless off age or pocket depth - and thats something money cant buy!!
echtloon

A very popular busy pub with plenty of character and not a old mans pub, all ages drink in the pub. I don't eat in pubs but was just a sample to show its not always expensive in the UK and often since the arrival of the euro abroad is more expensive now.
louietudor wrote:
i agree that turkey is no longer the cheapest for drink - i would not call it expensive but average BUT to compare a £4.99 rump dinner in england to a steak dinner you get in tukey is just plain wrong - in gumbet last year we paid 22 lira (about £9.50) for fabulous steak dinners that included a bottle of wine (and very drinkable it was too) - it was sirloin steak that must have been at least 12 to 14 oz - perfectly cooked on a sizzler platter with all the trimmings - fantastic!!! - the steak dinner alone in england would have been £14 to £18 on its own!!

as for all inc compared to self catering i think its everyone to their own - if i had young children i would definitely consider all inclusive in turkey - but i dont so i prefer self catering

one thing which i think makes a turkish holiday special over any other country ive been to (as theres quite a few) is its people - they are simply the best, they are generous, respectful, and welcoming, regardless off age or pocket depth - and thats something money cant buy!!

I think most of us would agree with the latter part of your post, louietudor! There's nothing quite like the welcome you get in Turkey - genuine warmth and friendship wherever you go, and that is priceless!
I have lived in Antalya for five years now and I have seen the drink prices go up and up.This is not the bar owners or restaurant owners fault, it's the goverment which being Muslim frowns on alchohol.They have increased the tax for the last five years and every year.You can get a very excellent steak dinner for around fifteen TL.Food prices a still cheap if you know where to go.Most of you being tourists do not know where to go and therefore pay high prices.Turkey for us is still much cheaper than the UK and we have a better quality of life here.Ãâ€ΕΎÃ‚°f you eat or drink at beachside bars etc you will pay top prices take ten minutes out to walk back from the beach and the food and drink are much cheaper.To digress slightly at the end of this year notes with New Turkish Lira on them will no longer be legal tender.Make sure you only have the new notes ' Turish Lira '
Thats if you take any home with you.

Ian
Hi,

Let's have a quick reality check on those London prices please. Due to work I regularly spend a night in our delightful capital (I'll be doing so again tomorrow) and for quite some time now most pubs seem to be charging £3 (or more) for a pint unless you can find yourself a JD Wetherspoon.

Is it possible that some pubs are charging half the going rate? Possibly (especially if you're prepared to drink the likes of the dishwater now known as "Ruddles"). But is it reasonable to suggest that the normal price of a pint in London that a vistor could find in an average pub is anywhere near as low as £1.30? Pure fantasy I'm afraid!

Cheers.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.