Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
i stayed not far from there a few years ago very nice clean tidy but lots of steps tp keep you fit!! the idea is to walk down them then have a taxi back to the apts!
Yes, i have stayed there many times (more than 10) but not in the last few years, however i have visited there a few times, in my trips to Puerto Rico.... I liked it there, it is the best place i have seen and stayed in in Puerto Rico, its quite far up the hill... which you may find you need a taxi up if you have shopping, but en general it is pretty nice, everyone is very friendly!
thanks a million for all your help!
Sunshine, we stayed there 2 years ago and had to contend with lots of cockroaches inside our room. Added to this was the fact that they were renovating parts of the hotel it was an awful holiday. Not sure what it is like now, but 2 years ago it was a very old and tired building set half way up a steep hill.

On a plus point (if there is one!), the bar/cafe and swimming pool area were very nice.
hi sunshine. have stopped at the puerto plata a couple of times and although the decor is a little tired, it is a great place to stay. there is an irish bar onsite which does a wicked brekky and the pool bar is good fun. the pool can get busy during peak times so be up early if you like a good spot. i prefered the beach(amadores) or the public baths near puerto rico beach. hope you enjoy your holiday :D
I'm going to the same apartments in july too i've heard some really good reviews about them and know people who have been and loved them i don't think we've got anyhing to worry about.
I've been reading reviews for these apartments as i'm going at the start of July. They all sound pretty good but one thing that's worrying me is the cockroaches. I'm petrified of them and it sounds like there are quite a lot! I know that you get them most places but were they actually in the apartment and if so has anyone got any tips on getting rid of them!
Well, you can't really get rid of them, but to be honest, there are very few, i only see about 3 for the hole time i am out there. so really, dont be too worried!

regards

Kate
if you do come across any roaches in your apartment, go to reception and ask them to send somebody to remove it for you.
you could use the paper and glass method and do it yourself as i did at the puerto plata.
i wouldn't worry too much though. i have been to the said apartments 3 times and have only had 1 cockroach.
happy holidays 8)
thankyou sooooooo much that is such a relief and has put my mind at rest i think i can cope with one or two.
anything you want to know about puerto rico or the puerto plata apppartments feel free to ask !
hi
i am going to puerto rico in august to stay in the puerto plata. Any information would be great regarding the apartments, are they nice? good nightlife? how long does it take to get into puerto rico from pueeto plta?
thank you
appartments are great
all with a balcony and sea view
one down side is that they can be very warm at night

the weather in august will be 40 degrees

there is no town in puerto rico , just a massive man made shopping centre, full of bars, restaurants and clubs

be prepared for them to come out and nearly haul you into the restaurant, the girls i was with felt bad walking past them, but had had no problem saying 'no thanks' and walking on

also beware of the drug dealers at the entrance to the shopping centre....you will know them when you see them....they pretend they are selling sunglasses or bracelets. don't even make eye contact with them as they all carry a knife or gun apparently. nothing to worry about though

the pool at the appartments is great, although we went to the beach a good few days

there is a bar with nightlife at the appartments but it is wick and no one attends it...don't know why they bother

its about 10 to 15 minute walk to the shopping centre and beach, downhill on the way there and uphill on the way back

look out for churchills restaurant in the shopping centre......absoluately brilliant food, also oppisitte it, is molly malones irish bar, with great singing and atmosphere

the best place to eat is down by the beach and is called 'oscars' will need to book it a couple of nights in advance and is a little more expensive but really worth it

i can email yoou photos of the place it you want
Hi

Stayed in the appartments last year and was totally impressed.

Had some great meals in the steak restaurant in the appartments & some great nights up in the eurpoa centre (uphill there, downhill back :wink: )

had no problems with drug dealers - didn't even know they existed - the timeshare touts by the beach are a pain though.

Davyspurs - is the bar down the steps by the pool still open ? It was a gay bar for a while and changed to an irish bar while we were there - never really got many customers though. We used to go in on the way back and drink in there till 03:00 with Pablo the barman who was a great guy.
Hi - not sure if i've missed you, but...

We stayed there for 2 weeks last year and didn't see a single cockroach. We were in the block by the pool on the 3rd floor.
davy, i have stopped at these apartments 3 times and have never had a sea view. how did you wangle that one ?? :roll:
the time share near the beach are a pain in the ass though. its about time they got rid !
you shouldn't have to feel like you need to cross the road to avoid them. its our holiday afterall.
lonewolf, yeah that bar is still there, although i don't know why they bother to put entertainment on there at night as no one goes!

the foods good in both place during the day though
Hi
Can anyone tell me anything about these apartments and Puerto Rico itself.
We've never been to Gran Canaria before so don't really much about the place.
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.