Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Puerto Pollensa
32 Posts
I went there earlier this year, but it was my first time so I'm no expert. I thought it was charming and due to the vast amounts of self catering still around has an active restaurant and bar scene, unlike places where AI has killed a lot of them off. You are spoilt for choice if you like to eat out.

We stayed in a villa/old farmhouse out in the countryside about 1.5 kms from the Port and Old Pollensa (also gorgeous and worth a visit to sit in the square and soak up the atmosphere) so can't recommend any accommodation.

However I do know that the front-line apartments that look at the water can be expensive in
peak season, and if you go one street back it is less expensive.

The end near what is termed the Pine Walk is the best bit and has an upmarket feel to it then as you go further along the bay towards Alcudia it seems to be considered less desirable, but we didn't walk up that way so can't verify that and it is probably fine and easier on the budget.

I have booked flights to go back next year, and am dithering between going in a villa which is a bit extravagant for the two of us or an apartment.

I have looked at the apartments that are attached to the Illa D'or hotel on booking.com and direct with the hotel and am pretty keen on them, they are second line and at the Pine Walk end but coming up as much as a villa/farmhouse probably due to their location and reputation.

The beach and scenery in this area is stunning.

You should have no trouble booking as all the big operators go there, thomson, Thomas Cook, Cosmos if you like the security of a package and if you DIY there are loads of flights to Majorca and lots of accom only sites.

It's the kind of places where you hear people saying this is my 20th visit :tup
  • Edited by doe 2014-10-14 17:54:36
Now I'm confused as to why admin has deleted my post pointing to a very informative website (with which I have no connection whatsoever).
I had spent some time this afternoon reading the info. on the link you gave Pollensa 1946. Just checked back to look at something else on the page only to find it had disappeared, I wonder why.
Didn't see the post in question, however probably because this site is quite quiet so they do not want other sites promoted that will stop people from asking and answering questions on this site and just going elsewhere. Why should HT just be a vehicle or stepping stone to elsewhere.

Many sites don't allow links to other sites which take traffic away from them. Makes perfect sense to me.
But it surely doesn't make sense to alienate existing posters either by deleting their posts without explanation? It isn't the first time it's happened. :que

SM
HT has often been a stepping stone to other sites, I've been given and have given links to various sites providing comprehensive information about various holiday destinations in the past including Lagos Portugal,
British Columbia/Vancouver Canada and Sydney Australia to name just a few and none have been deleted so I'm wondering why this one is so different, especially as the same link was posted previously without deletion.
Is providing links with more detailed information than HT members can provide now against T & C's ?
doe wrote:
Didn't see the post in question, however probably because this site is quite quiet so they do not want other sites promoted that will stop people from asking and answering questions on this site and just going elsewhere. Why should HT just be a vehicle or stepping stone to elsewhere.

Many sites don't allow links to other sites which take traffic away from them. Makes perfect sense to me.

Thank you doe. I deleted a post that contained nothing more than a link to another website.
Chris wrote:
...Thank you doe. I deleted a post that contained nothing more than a link to another website.

At the risk of a meta discussion, and to be pedantic about it, it contained the words "See here..." and then the link. So how much dialogue is desirable or mandated before a link is acceptable?

Is this acceptable for example...

We as a couple have been going to PP at least twice a year, May and Sept, since 1999. On a number of occasions we've been joined by my son and his family. Most recently in May of 2013 with their two kids aged 6 and 3. We never fail to enjoy it. It's a lovely resort which caters equally for couples and families with young kids. Safe and peaceful day and night. Having over the years been all around the Med we found PP and thereafter returned every year.
For lots of info see here...
http://www.puertopollensa.com/

If after consulting that link you need any more info then come back.
TonyR wrote:
Well thats killed this post

Well, with that, if you're looking for help on PP you're going the wrong way about it. Care to try again?
First of all can I just make it clear I have no knowledge of PP , but I'm sure Pollensa 1946 does , in previous chats on threads about another resort he was very knowledgable and good humoured , and I'm sure that he knows a great deal about PP ( the user name gives a bit of a hint ) .
What started as a genuine thread and request and a very good answer from Doe has become a little unsavoury since and not very " HT like " . I'm sure most posters on here give valued experience and back it up with links for more generalised information and I imagine the owners are happy with that type of reply , and I can understand why a post was deleted because it just said " see here ( link ) " but credit to Pollensa 1946 , he has come back and re posted and can offer , I'm sure , some very good advice . I agree with " care to try again " and get back on topic .

I do apologise in advance for being very :offtop
andy66 wrote:
First of all can I just make it clear I have no knowledge of PP , but I'm sure Pollensa 1946 does , in previous chats on threads about another resort he was very knowledgable and good humoured , and I'm sure that he knows a great deal about PP ( the user name gives a bit of a hint ) .
What started as a genuine thread and request and a very good answer from Doe has become a little unsavoury since and not very " HT like " . I'm sure most posters on here give valued experience and back it up with links for more generalised information and I imagine the owners are happy with that type of reply , and I can understand why a post was deleted because it just said " see here ( link ) " but credit to Pollensa 1946 , he has come back and re posted and can offer , I'm sure , some very good advice . I agree with " care to try again " and get back on topic .

I do apologise in advance for being very :offtop

The thing is Andy once someone puts up a link to another forum the thread completely dies so Tonys point is valid, the traffic goes to the other forum and away from HT :( people spend ages moaning about how quiet HT is and then just add another nail to the coffin.

They can't have it both ways.

It's lazy and to a certain extent discourteous to HT and (the few) members who do make an effort to reply fully to just point someone elsewhere.

I spent ages replying to the post then all the next post did was direct the OP off this site.

I didn't even get a thank you for what I bothered to write :( no doubt the OP is on the other forum now so I never will (yeah I know it's not a biggie, I'll get over it).

Holiday Truths has been very generous over the years in allowing links to other forums and has certainly suffered because of it.
doe wrote:
...It's lazy and to a certain extent discourteous to HT and (the few) members who do make an effort to reply fully to just point someone elsewhere...

Occasionally I am very busy and think it would be nice to help out the OP and get back to it later with answers to specific questions. Since the OP has not come back with any questions then I am now wondering if he wants help. I did say there was a risk of this turning into a meta discussion and that is exactly what has happened.
I know and I'm sorry. You normally put up excellent quality posts and when I booked for Pollenca this year I actually went back and read a lot of them, so thank you. I do appreciated that sometimes the timing can be wrong to put up a detailed reply.

Trouble is once a link goes up it kills the thread and the damage is done.

I'm a member of a few 'one resort' forums (including the one you linked too!) but never recommend them as most of them are lucky to get a page of new posts a year. I assume if people are that interested they will find them via google anyway.

Andy and I carried on discussing this by pm, in the hope of saving the thread but it was too late :(
:ghug
You've got me intrigued now , I'm going to have book a holiday there now , I've never looked at Majorca , always thought of it being a place I should have gone to when I was 19 :D , from some tiny bits I've read I'm now quite interested :rofl
Ha, ha. :D We were like that Andy. Then we got the chance of a bargain last minute deal to Pollenca with James Villas in June, booked 3 weeks before date of travel, £580 including a 4 bed farm house with private pool, it's own field of sheeps, and an orange & lemon tree orchard - well it would have been rude not to :rofl

Most impressed, the scenery is stunning, there are mountains, beaches, wonderful views, good restaurants it has the lot for a short haul. Was kicking ourselves that we hadn't visited before so going back next year to have another look, weather was good so we just relaxed but we want to tour about a bit, maybe go to Cap Formentor (think that's what it's called).

There is also a place called Soller that is recommended to visit, it has both a Port area and Old Town. Palma itself is supposed to be great but once you have gone up to the Pollenca area you have taken yourself away from Palma, so am thinking the latter might be best visited on somekind of city break.

You can fly BA from London City, unfortunately we were on what appeared to be a kind of Thomson Kindergarten from Gatwick :rofl with every seat taken, and then some (endless lap belt infants as well, so four to a row) apparently many with young families go to somewhere called Palmanova as it's a good family resort.

Puerto Pollensa and Old Pollenca are approx 50 minute drive from the airport on good roads.

Might be worth a look.

The last post on this thread shows gives details of 3 restaurants we used in Puerto Pollensa

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/puerto-pollensa-cost-food-and-drinks-t160146.html#p1623304

Doe :sun2
Soller is lovely, we visited one day and also Pollenca. I preferred Soller, so if you like Pollenca Doe I'm sure you'd like Soller too :tup

We thought about staying there & I'm sure there's a hotel overlooking the bay or, it could have been a private rental :think can't remember which now as it was a few years ago, but, the views were stunning :tup
:tup so many places not enough time Glynis. Need to do a bit more research as I think there is somekind of little train that takes you in and out of Soller, it is all supposed to be most scenic and sounds like our kind of thing.

But I'm not sure if you need to be based in Palma to get this train or if it's something that you do once you get to Soller and it just goes back and forth between Puerto Soller and the Old Town of Soller. :think

Probably warrants two separate holidays Glynis, one in Pollenca and another one in Soller :rofl

Doe :sun2
I think it was the tram we saw on Soller's front, but had heard about the train journey and the lovely scenery. We'd hired a car though so had travelled around in that.

I think you'd like it there Doe :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.