Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Sorry to say it has indeed changed beyond recognition.

Even since 2007 you will see a vast increase in domestic tourism which has created massive problems due to poor infrastructure not improved for decades.

Massive influx of package tourist Russians some would say have had a very negative effect.

The CCB belt is dirty overcrowded and just a very different place.

Will you still find magic. Maybe but just be aware it will be very different.

We said we were not going back but have booked again.

Going South for a few days and then looking for somewhere away from the lunacy that is Calangute and Baga.

Reading my post you may wonder why we are even considering it ourselves.

Maybe thats Goa. Gets under your skin despite all its problems.
Hi Brendan

When are you going? We go 4weeks Friday,Hope Debbie has a better time this year ;)
Hi manxcat
We are going on the 2nd having a few days somewhere down south then coming back north. After Debbie being so ill last year she took some persuading to come back so we are opting for a hotel with a bit more luxury.
We will be calling in to see Glens new place so no doubt will bump into you both.

I will send you a pm
yes it has changed massively but so has the rest of th world!! i for one still find it has enough magic to keep me here for 8 mths each year :) but everyone is different so i think you might just have to suck it and see!! however if the visa on arrival comes in as the papers are saying that would keep your costs down hopefully !!
Chilly
chilly wrote:
yes it has changed massively

however if the visa on arrival comes in as the papers are saying that would keep your costs down hopefully !!
Chilly

It has changed massively, yet the rubbish is as bad as ever - we have our special places, but to get to them it's a case of - putting on the blinkers to avoid seeing it.

The exchange rate this year gave us an extra 20% spending power so we found it cheap.
Thank you everyone. I am so torn, I so want to go back, Goa has a piece of my heart !! ( that sounds very dramatic !! But it has ! ) I think we probably will, but reading peoples posts about all the changes and the nightmare visa applications and costs does make it a little daunting. Used to be easy. I still crave just chilling out in bars like Bharats watching the world go by, sitting in a shack in the evening and listening to the sea and all the banter with the hawkers and fruit sellers in the day. :)
Not likely to see many beach hackers in the Candolim area, the police have really cracked down on them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.