Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Rabies
15 Posts
That sounds a bit scarey :(
Mission Rabies with the help of local animal welfare organisations (eg International Animal Rescue Goa) have spent a lot of effort going round combating Rabies. This might be one reason for the increased awareness of rabies at the moment, I suspect it's just the awareness rather than the number of instances that has increased (although could be wrong).
If only we could get Brits to stop feeding the bloody things on the beach.
operation rabies has vacinated thousands of dogs this year alone,so dont worry
Why should Brits stop feeding the "bloody things"
Stray dogs need food and only a heartless person would see a dog go hungry,

But hey each to their own
I take it you knew you were responding to post from last year?

Sad to say, but I think most people who frequented this site bu&&ered off to Trip Advisor many moons ago.
Wish they would all come back - TA is a mess to keep up with posts. On the rabies subject or dogs in general, seems to be more and more each year, near impossible to go out early morning or come back late without a pack of them snapping and snarling at you.
We have been visiting goa for 20 years and we have never had a pack of dogs snapping at us,and yes we do feed them from time to time to time,we have recently returned and there is definitely less dogs around this year,probably down to the work of the international animal rescue organisation, just our opinion of course.
cartman wrote:

Ticks, lice, fleas, skin infections, parasites and rabies is a good enough reason to stay away from them.

I think it's just as heartless to feed a dog and then leave it after your holiday. The dog is abandoned once more and confused, and it has to go back into the pecking order of the pack of scavengers on the streets.

But each to their own :wink:

http://www.thegoan.net/Goa/Campaign/Chase-scare-and-bite-Stray-dogs-take-over-the-town/08064.html

Sanji
I have to say I am not a lover of the dogs but they did save us from being mugged this year. We were staying for 3 months in our rooms and there was around 6 dogs living around us, all belonging to the locals. After the first day they never barked at us and even brought sticks for us to throw every time we returned from the beach. Late one night we were walking back to our rooms and someone came after us on his bike but the dogs all came after him and he couldn't get away fast enough. The dogs kindly walked us back to our rooms so after that we were best friends.
cartman wrote:

But hey each to their own

It's far more cruel to feed them, and patronising to say only heartless people wouldn't as you know nothing about the motivation of people who refuse to feed them. They may just be intelligent people who understand the damage feeding strays does. Those that care give money to organisations that doctor, neuter and vaccinate we the poor things that should never have been born in the first place if proper programmes were in place.

Tourists feeding scraps is just prolonging their deaths. :( and encouraging rabies and other devastating diseases. :( it also has a negative effect on tourism as many people are not sentimental soft touches and don't want to be plagued by stray cats and dogs when on holiday. This in turn affects the local human population nand so it goes on. I've actually read on forums, I wouldn't go back to such and such because of the dog problem etc. Sentimentality comes at a price.
Not been on here for a while
I for one will never stop feeding stray dogs,always carry food for them.we don't feed the same dogs constantly so they get used to it but dogs we feel need the extra bit of food to keep them going.
I hate to see any animal starving and being mistreated
Nothing worse than seeing a dog being attacked just because it try's to sit under someone's subbed,I understand that not everyone likes dogs or are scared of them but no need for cruelty,yes I know there's always the chance of ticks fleas and worse but that's a risk we willing to take to give a poor defenseless abit of food and love.
Thanks to the great work the animal charity's do there are less dogs about now than before,if we see an injured animal we will take it to the animal rescue for treatment,
Tourists feeding scraps is just prolonging their deaths.

you can apply that argument to any sick creature, man or beast.

Does that mean that we shouldn't feed starving children in Africa etc, as it merely "prolongs their deaths"?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.