Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
not a problem! Within 10 minutes walk you will be in St Julians main area, Paceville, where it is full of bars and restaurants and in Summer all area will be full of tourists and locals.
Hi LittlePink,

SAS Raddison is a very nice hotel and though we have never stayed there, the drinks have been relatively expensive whenever we have visited, probably because it's 5star. Mind you I agree with Magnusson there are plenty of bars and restaurants in St Julians and Paceville. Just up the road is Sliema, our favourite place, where you're spoiled for choice regarding places to eat and drink. For real Maltese fayre look up the Il-Merrill restaurant and enjoy an evening there (suggest you book in advance cause it's very popular!).

You are also just a short bus ride from Valletta which I'm sure you will visit since could anyone travel all the way to Malta and not nip along to see this magnificent city? If you're thirsty and could do with a snack or even a full meal, seek out D'Office a once again typical Maltese bar run by a really lovely lady who serves some excellent food. On a hot day it usually is nice and cool in that establishment.

There really are lots and lots of places to visit for such a small Island but I hope you find Malta as fascinating as we have over the many years we have visited. If you want some really excellent advice about bars and restaurants I suggest you contact Sliema2 another Maltaphile who could certainly give you some good advice,

Trev
Hi Trevor, you right as normal, there aren't many bars in St Julians, Sliema and Valletta that we don't know about, however not so sure if that's a good thing or not :glynis

Regards
Sliema2
Hello Sliema2, on most of my visits to Malta I have yet to find what I rate as a good bar, most are small and poky not much bigger than a living room perhaps you could let us all in on some of the good bars to have a good night out in the Sliema area.
Bars say with Quiz's / singers or some sort of entertainment then perhaps and it is a big perhaps I may just visit Malta again for week, I found this to be Malta's let down on our last visit.

Dave

P S hello Trev :wink:
Once I get this wedding confirmation finalised (hopefully tomorrow) I want recommendations of nice resturants to visit......... are there any mexican restuarants on the island?
Hi Dave, working off your criteria then your idea of a good bar is miles away from what I consider to be a good bar, I don't like pub singers or karoake and all that kind of tat, I like traditional beer in a traditional boozer mate with a modicum of background music but not deafening :glynis .

Regards
Sliema2
I must just state the manager I have been dealing with in Radisson SAS Baypoint is very helpful........... anyone planning on going there you will have no problems in being dealt with to the best of the ability.
littlepink, theres one good Mexican restaurant in Sliema...forgot the name but will tell you when i remember.
Little Pink,

How you were dealt with is typical Maltese courtesy(except for some bus & taxi drivers!!) as you will no doubt find out.

I didn't realise that there was a Mexican restaurant in Sliema?? Does anyone else know of this place?

Mind you Little Pink they do tell me that there are a lot of Mexican Restaurants in Mexico (Ha Ha!). Just wondering whether there are any Maltese restaurants in Mexico?

Trev
what is traditional maltese food like?
traditional maltese food? rabbit stew, lasagna, timpana, fish, maltese bread with olive oil (tomatoes, capers, olives sun-dried tomatoes), yummy yummy...better stop here.! and what about the beer and the wine?!
Genuine Maltese food = delicious!

Very similar in some ways to Italian food (now there's a surprise!), but with some differences. I particularly like their fish dishes or rather the many sauces they put with fish and good fresh Maltese bread. Food tends not to be overly spicy,

Trev
what about Gozo cheese, either fresh or peppered, and also in ravioli with tomato sauce, or pizzas which are the equal of anything in Italy, pastizzi - pastry stuffed with either cheese or peas
Good question that about " what is Maltese food like" check this link it will give you a good idea of how good it can be http://www.aboutmalta.com/grazio/cuisine.html

Regards
Sliema2
Thanks Littlepink for your positive comments about me....I am an old member of this website and like to give my contribution everynow and again. You have my e-mail address, so please feel free to contact me with any additional information you need.

Now with regards to bars and clubs there are a number of let downs in the area and it all depends on what kind of atmosphere you are after. If it is deafening music with just a bang bang beat then centre of Paceville is your choice where a good knowledge of sign language or lip reading is needed to be able to communicate with eachother. Otherwise, two very good place that I personally quite like and also cater for the more mature generation....(28-45) age bracket is GiGi's in Spinola Bay....quaint wine bar with light background music and generally a starting point for Friday and Saturday nights out unless dinner on the town is an option. Following here, it is normally up to Club Twenty 2 which is located on the top floor of the Portomaso Tower (Hilton Tower). More of an exclusive lounge club with decent music...not too loud and a nice crowd of people...try to get in before midnight as otherwise you will have to queue up. They open for dinner too from 8pm serving wraps and sushi (Food is excellent)...the view from up there is worth just a quick visit too.

There are many clubs and bars that I can reccommend but would depend on what you are looking for so any body need to know just ask and I will oblige....

Have Fun!!
Trevor - The maltese One of course :-)
Thanks Trevor ;) You're a star with the info as usual! I'm dying to get to Malta now! But have 5 1/2 months to wait :( I think I am going to explode with excitement now. Wedding is all booked and ready to rock n' roll!
Thats great Littlepink...I hope that everything goes the way you plan it and more!!!:-)
yeah, i hope so........ I better get that upgrade buggi! Only messing pet! Today I have been researching about tradditional maltese food, some I like the sound of, others not so much!
We are off to Malta next week and are staying at Radisson Baypoint. One thing that I have not seen mentioned anywhere, can anybody confirm if the standard rooms have balconies?

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.