Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
ramadam
33 Posts
Luckily you weren't in the Tunis area. Due to the bad weather in the area, 11 people got killed and 4 are still missing.
gert-jan
Got back today from Sousse Tony and only managed to get half drowned once :roll: Luckilly it cleared up on Friday as we went to the Medinat Alzhara Sound and Light show in the evening and of course they couldn't have done it in the rain. A really spectacular storm last night but I didn't venture out and watched it from the window of my room. The weather certainly caused havoc with the phones though.
What a shame with the sound and light show,I was looking forward to your report on it,missed you this last week,Ramadan is over now I think.
Sorry I missed you too Crispy, especially as I always go to PEK a couple of times. The Sound and Light show actually went ahead and was excellent though, being Tunisia, things were a bit chaotic to start with. :roll: As I travel independently I arranged to go to the show with a friend and her Tunisian fiance. The first three taxi drivers hadn't a clue about it, though it is advertised all round Sousse. The fourth driver took us part way there where we were met with a very small louage who took us the rest of the way - as suspected, taxi drivers from Sousse are not allowed into the area. The louage driver however gave us his phone number and collected us after the show, depositing me right back at my hotel before taking the other couple to Hammam Sousse. As the show is advertised for tourists and Tunisians they really need to get their act together, as Tunisians don't actually make use of reps to visit places. :lol: I'll do a report later and try to post a few pics, though as I haven't gone digital yet I'll have to wait to get them developed and put on disk, then I'll see what I can do.
Any idea on ramadan dates 2008 :que
For 2008 Ramadan will be from September 1 - 29 and Eid ul-Fitr (the celebration after Ramadan) September 30.
Thanks aslemma, that means we miss it this year, just. :cheers
It gets earlier by approximately 11 days each year. I was thinking of going out again on 28th Sept to catch the end and Eid but may put that trip off until November this year as I'd rather like to include a visit to the Douz Festival. The dates for that haven't been announced yet so I'm not making any plans at this stage. I'm out to Sousse this coming Sunday for a week and keeping my fingers crossed the weather is reasonable as it's been rather uncertain recently.
I've read that this year Ramadan starts around the 20th July untill the 18th of August, anyone know what the situation with buying the odd bottle or 3 of alcohol :cheers
Might alter the dates slightly if we will be unable to buy some :rofl
You are unlikely to be able to buy bottles of alcohol in the shops during Ramadan though there will be no problem in having a drink in your hotel. In the old days tourists were able to buy it, but they tightened up a few years ago and now that the Ennhada party leads the new government I very much doubt things will change, or certainly not in favour of the tourist.
It will be interesting to see what effect the changes of the last 12 months will have on what was previously a fairly secular Government. There's the possiblity that I will be out in Tunisia again myself in the late spring so I'll watch this one with interest.

As least for the locals, sunset in Tunisia will still take place fairly early in the evening compared to here at that time of year. Muslims up here in Scotland have a very long fast when Ramadan falls in the summer and it will get worse for them over the next few years. By the time it gets to 2014/15/16 there's only going to be a few hours each day when they won't be fasting and in 2016/17/18 it will coinicide with the main exam periods in schools, colleges and Universities.

SM
Despite assurances that the government do not intend to make drastic changes to the feeedoms previously enjoyed in Tunisia there are many of us who are somewhat sceptical and the hard-line Salafists are already ruffling feathers in many areas. This is obviously :offtop here but I think it will be some time before we see how things actually work out for the country.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.