Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
hi dawn we have been to los cristianos before and found it really nice and quite safe we are going back in three weeks with my wife and two kids aged 4 +5 and my mentally disabled father we have never witnessed any trouble of any sort the only bother so to spek is the timeshare touts if you read up on the forum about them it will be a good heads up before you go out on your hols. we have been to menorca and really liked the place but it's not a patch on lc or pdla have a great trip and dont panic i feel safer there than i do around the area i live in
gary daxy1
I think if you look back on this forum you will find a thread specifically on crime largely concerning PDLA (last posted on 24th July) however the advice contained therein would apply to almost any holiday destination. We were unfortunate victims of crime in Tenerife (our room broken into in a 5* hotel no less) but this has not prevented us from returning. Indeed we are due to spend New Year there as are many of our friends. We are fairly frequent travellers and have experienced being robbed in Cyprus which has one of the lowest crime rates in the 'tourist' world. It is no worse than many of the major holiday destinations and I'm sure if you excercise common sense you will have nothing to worry about. Oh and regarding the safe in your apartment, on the occasion our room was broken into, the safe was left in pieces but only cash was taken (credit cards, jewellery etc. untouched) so my strong advice would be to carry travelleres cheques where you have some form of immediate recompense instead of waiting months for an insurance policy to pay out against stolen cash :roll:
Common sense should prevail wherever you go.. we love tenerife and we generally stay in LC.. yes, last time we were there, some one did get robbed at the complex and yes there was a smash and grab raid at a local shop.. but the 2 guys were caught virtually instantly ( police appeared from thin air.. completely unlike britain) and the hotel hired extra security guards..

yes, there are the time share touts and the looky looky men.. but again a polite but firm decline should see you ok.

Don't let what you read put you off visiting tenerife and los c. We feel safe enough to leave our kids for short periods of time now ( they are now 17 and 14 ). The island is so diverse in scenery, culture and history it is well worth exploring and you will be greeted in a friendly manner wherever you go. Far better than most places in britain!!
Just to echo previous posts really. Although we have heard reports of incidents we have never witnessed or been a victim of any crime in 23 years of travelling to Tenerife. As Val also says, my kids often get the bus and go to the waterpark alone now, they know the place so well. Rather them go off alone in Tenerife than where I live.

Have a great time and just be sensible.

Rgds Jackie
My wife and I are the same age group as you and have also been married for 25 years (another medal LOL!) we have been going to Tenerife a couple of times a year for the past 10 years, we stay out late some nights (2am) and walk back to our hotel and never feel threatened. Don't let these thoughts spoil your trip, relax you will love Tenerife!
I always felt safe in Tenerife and never had any problems. It's all about exercising common sense, as you wuld anywhere.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.